Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:37 pm 

I visited a couple nearby gunshops that had donated doorprizes to the Waterdown Airgun Show today. When I had spoken to the proprietors prior to the airgun show, they seemed interested in what FT was all about, and said that they would like to see what the targets looked like, and wondered what kind of guns were being used.

So, I cased up my LJFT, and loaded it into the truck, along with one of Parker-101's targets (the ram on rock). Had some very nice conversations with the folks that work in the shops, as well as some random customers that had walked in, spotted the LJFT on the counter-top, and immediately started asking questions about the gun, and the FT sport in general. The stores were provided with contact info, should anyone happen to inquire about southern Ontario FT activities.

The LJFT got a lot of attention. The most common reaction was usually "what a strange (or ugly) looking gun". Can't blame anyone there - I had the very same reaction when I first saw a USFT. Then I invited them to shoulder the gun, which was usually followed by, "wow - it shoulders beautifully, and balances great". Again, the same reaction that I had with Mac's USFT. Folks couldn't fully understand the need for such a powerful scope on a "pellet gun" - at least not until I explained the targets, kill zones, and distances involved. Needless to say, I was also quite proud of the many comments praising my craftsmanship and attention to detail in building the gun. :)

The target got plenty of attention as well - I had a couple different reducers to show the level of difficulty, and more often than not, eyeballs just bugged when I placed the 3/8" KZ into the target face... :shock: :lol: . Everyone agreed that the targets were of exceptional quality and workmanship, and were pleasantly surprised to hear that they were manufactured locally.

All told, it was a very successful day - I got to talk about airguns and FT - and as an added bonus, I also got a couple of leads to follow up on for a couple vintage airguns.. :D .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:47 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Great bit of news.... 8)
It seems the members from various shooting communities are doing their part to promote shooting sports more these days then I have heard or seen of in quite some time.... This is very encouraging... Thanks for your part in helping spread the cheer Suprmatic... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:44 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Excellent job well done ..... Cheers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:00 am 

Suprmatic wrote:
The LJFT got a lot of attention.
I get the same thing with my EV-2. People are shocked when I tell them I built it from scratch :wink: J/k Supr...great job promoting the sport, hopefully we'll continue to see more and more new shooters out at the matches this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:48 am 

so what local stores were you in Supr? Erie Trackers? They might have shown interest but I doubt any of them will take part in it.. They're all about hunting in there, rifle and crossbow.. I've been in there a million times talking about airguns and even explaining them about Field Target. They didn't even know that airguns could be mod'd like they can until I started showing up there with these tricked out QB's and big springers.. I even got some business from them.

The truth is though most of them don't take "pellet guns" seriously so they just shrug it off..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:31 am 

Good on you Len. Keep spreading the word. You never know when someone listening in will become an important person on the airgun scene.

RVD, as for Erie Tracker, I started talking to them about five years ago and they sure do carry a lot more airgun related items now than they did back then. Lou always listens and tries his best to find things I ask about. He often runs into roadblocks if another dealer has exclusive rights to guns, ammo or accessories. For a shop that is primarily archery and fishing, they do OK for airgunners.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:36 pm 

Mac wrote:
Good on you Len. Keep spreading the word. You never know when someone listening in will become an important person on the airgun scene.

RVD, as for Erie Tracker, I started talking to them about five years ago and they sure do carry a lot more airgun related items now than they did back then. Lou always listens and tries his best to find things I ask about. He often runs into roadblocks if another dealer has exclusive rights to guns, ammo or accessories. For a shop that is primarily archery and fishing, they do OK for airgunners.

Tim

I know they've got more airguns, you're not the only one that spoke with them about this :wink: Years back they barely had any airguns at all.. Lou wasn't even working there.. I used to go there to use their chrony in their back archery range.. That's when they started seeing what some airguns can really do. I remember the look on Dave's face when he seen 1012fps from a springer that I tuned.. I also mentioned to them about the FT club and how nobody locally carried a good selection of match pellets.. I mentioned to them they should stock some like JSB, H&N and Boxed Crosman Premieres.. I pop in every once in awhile for fishing stuff or powderburner stuff since my work's shop is right behind them on Minto st.. That's our building behind trackers..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:43 pm 

rvd wrote:
I know they've got more airguns, you're not the only one that spoke with them about this :wink: Years back they barely had any airguns at all.. Lou wasn't even working there.. I used to go there to use their chrony in their back archery range.. That's when they started seeing what some airguns can really do. I remember the look on Dave's face when he seen 1012fps from a springer that I tuned.. I also mentioned to them about the FT club and how nobody locally carried a good selection of match pellets.. I mentioned to them they should stock some like JSB, H&N and Boxed Crosman Premieres.. I pop in every once in awhile for fishing stuff or powderburner stuff since my work's shop is right behind them on Minto st.. That's our building behind trackers..

And this is all good, is it not? We just keep planting positive seeds about airgunning and speak well of all businesses that are doing what they can to help. It is just my nature to be positive about the good things happening and I try not to mention things that I may consider shortcomings.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:52 pm 

rvd wrote:
so what local stores were you in Supr? Erie Trackers? They might have shown interest but I doubt any of them will take part in it.. They're all about hunting in there, rifle and crossbow.. I've been in there a million times talking about airguns and even explaining them about Field Target. They didn't even know that airguns could be mod'd like they can until I started showing up there with these tricked out QB's and big springers.. I even got some business from them.

The truth is though most of them don't take "pellet guns" seriously so they just shrug it off..

The stores visited were out Simcoe and Hamilton way. I have a number of places I visit that get vintage airguns in from time to time, so I make it a point to visit them every so often when it is a nice day for a drive. Sometimes, I hit gold :D , other times, it is just a nice drive :| . Made a couple extra stops today, and had a good time talking airguns and FT. :)

Way I see it, even if the store owner has no real interest in airguns, or FT, at least now he has some contact info to pass along to anyone that happens to come in to inquire about local airgun activities.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:01 pm 

Mac wrote:
And this is all good, is it not? We just keep planting positive seeds about airgunning and speak well of all businesses that are doing what they can to help. It is just my nature to be positive about the good things happening and I try not to mention things that I may consider shortcomings.

Tim

of course it's good, why wouldn't it be? I always try to show people who don't know what can be done with airguns.

I was telling them about FT right after I tried it for the first time... that was what? 3-4 years ago?? I don't remember now.. When I mentioned to them about the kill zone sizes of the FT targets they just looked at me and didn't say much. a 3/8" hole is small lol there's not much you can say about that. They're a good bunch of guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:03 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Hey rvd that was a few years ago now... Still have the vid taken at your neck of the woods.... 8)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ExoticWoody ... Tdok2phn_w

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Parker_101_ wrote:
Great bit of news.... 8)
It seems the members from various shooting communities are doing their part to promote shooting sports more these days then I have heard or seen of in quite some time.... This is very encouraging... Thanks for your part in helping spread the cheer Suprmatic... :mrgreen:

Just got the latest issue of Ontario Out of Doors. Haven't opened it yet, but the cover says "HOT ON AIRGUNS - Modern pellet pushers for small game" Can't wait to read it.

I assume it will be a positive article on airguns.

Woody

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:26 pm 

Woody wrote:
Parker_101_ wrote:
Great bit of news.... 8)

Just got the latest issue of Ontario Out of Doors. Haven't opened it yet, but the cover says "HOT ON AIRGUNS - Modern pellet pushers for small game" Can't wait to read it.

I assume it will be a positive article on airguns.

Woody

It is quite a good article and very positive. There is a bit of a slant towards folks who were maybe promoting their products, but it is one of the best articles I have seen in a magazine that is not an airgun magazine.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:37 am 

Parker_101_ wrote:
Hey rvd that was a few years ago now... Still have the vid taken at your neck of the woods.... 8)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ExoticWoody ... Tdok2phn_w

ya that was a while ago eh, that was a good time.. Should do it again 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:58 pm 
Admin-2-IC

rvd wrote:

ya that was a while ago eh, that was a good time.. Should do it again 8)

Absolutely ....... especially you're only like a couple minutes away ....