Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:01 pm 

So I now have a Daisy 853C. Great gun. Very accurate, usesd for the 10M prone Canadian Cadet marksmanship accreditation. With the peep sights on the official 10M target, it's really spot on. When I shoot at 10M off the bench with a bean bag under the stock, I get tens nearly every time on the Olympic target. And so can everyone else.

Which gets boring, after a while.

So what should I do? Strive for tens on EVERY shot? So that anything under a possible is a failure? How do you plot improvement in that environment? 100 - 100 - 99 - 100 - 100 - 99 - and so on. No data to work on. Unless I should micro-analyse the impact points? Do you do that?

Or should I convert to Olympic Ten Meter which really separates the shooters from the wannabees? Or lie down with my old bones and shoot prone with just a sling? Or go to greater distances where there is no standard, except self-fulfillment? Erm, nope, there's too much of that already in shooting sports, so no, thank you. I don't need an orgasm every time I shoot (so that rules out hunting). I want to measure my performance against officially recognised standards. So what do I do?

The answer is of course Olympic. And the only standard is standing, off-the-hand at 10M, 0.177. There is no other way for an air rifleman to tell if he (she) is a good shot or not.

And I'm afraid to think that I'm probably not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:12 pm 

It seems like you've answered your own question.
Shoot the targets the way they're meant to be shot (offhand at 10m) and not off a rest.
That definitely won't be too easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:53 pm 

or do a combination.... ten shots each of prone, kneeling, and standing.... and keep track of your improvement out of 300.... :wink:

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:30 pm 

weird way to word a question to be sure..

I also find that if I'm just benched at around 50' it gets to be boring... so I stretch it out farther... I don't know what you meant by no fulfillment... if you want to challenge yourself to make it more interesting, why not put some paper out at longer distances. If you just don't want it to get boring, do what I do and put out some reactive targets and plinkables at different ranges and try that. it may not be as refined as competition shooting, but I think everyone will agree it is a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:46 pm 

65 yards with the qb79 and a 9x scope isn't the "easiest" thing in the world.

I was shooting at a "VEX" bottle (bout the size of a 1Liter coke bottle)..
once dialed at 9x I turned it back to 3x and worked my breathing and hold.
3 out of 6 direct hits at 3power and 1 skimmed the label.

My theory is if it gets boring, put it out farther. when your at the range of your airgun, make em smaller... i have some nice 1/8" aluminum i use for gongs and that never gets old at 100yards :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:36 pm 

I have found that shooting .22 shells is do-able but very challenging, best of all they are cheap and re-usable. Stand them on putty, take 30 shots and score 1 for a hit and 0 for a miss. Keyrigger and I have done this offhand at 10m and rested at 25 a number of times.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:41 am 

I have had my 853c (and a couple of other fine 10 meter rifles) for about three years now and I have yet to fire a prone shot... :shock:

It took me about four months to get five in the black (on cadet grouping targets) consistently from kneeling.

I agree that bench resting at ten meters is not a lot of challenge. So I shoot standing offhand most of the time.

I have started using sidewalk chalk cut up into peppermint sized discs (as was suggested by another member).

I also use bottle caps stuck on edge in plasticine.

When I get warmed up and am on a roll I use yellow map pins.

But if you really want a ten meter challenge get a pistol....I just got one a couple of weeks ago and I had to start with the bottom of a gallon paint can, then a coffee can, then a bean can, then a tomato paste can....now I'm down to chalk and bottle tops but only hitting one in three...not too bad considering I have tendinitis that needs physiotherapy in my right elbow. My hat is off to the guys who can consistently smash aspirins standing offhand with a pistol.

Then if you want to increase the challenge get a clock and limit your lock load and aim time to 30 seconds per shot.

My personal best so far has been thirty bottle caps in a row on the clock standing offhand with the Daisey 853c. That was with preloaded five shot clips and I don't think I could match that in single shot.

On the thirty first cap I was shaking from lactic acid build up in my arms and the cap didn't go flying. I fired three shots and gave up. Later I noticed that the cap had three dents in it..... :mrgreen:

I know I'm going to be handed my butt the first time I compete, but I am going to train and practice to do my best.

"Aim small miss small"...and when you're done doing that...aim even smaller.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:11 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

Try toothpick shooting in a standing position offhand .
I get 1 out of 3 or 4 shoots or more all depends on which rifle I use .
I should try it with a pistol on a good day that is . :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:19 am 

I agree with Mauser.
After probably 10000 shots through my 853c in 3 years I can now hit the 10 (std ISSF 10m target where the 10 is the size of a period) 7 out of 10, with the other 3 being 9's, standing offhand.
And 8 means I've flinched.
It's gotten boring and the only way I see to improve is expensive coaching (not an option) or a vast outlay in cash for a true Olympic rifle (also not going to happen).
So I purchased a Gamo Compact target pistol.
Now I'm back to being really pleased when I hit the 10 (std ISSF pistol target), and a good target has all the shots (I shoot 5/target) in the black.
My next step is the 'Quigley Down Under Shot', which I'm going to try this weekend if it is windless. A photo of a 2.5 in pail at 50yds (I did the math for a 500fps gun).
I'm hoping for a consistent 1 out of 3.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:41 am 

Here is my pass-time challenge......Really hard for it to get "too easy" :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmkXCThgmZE

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:34 am 

jgoodz420 wrote:

OK..that's impressive.....now was it bench rest and scope?....... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:36 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

What's the problem?

Increase the shooting distance and shoot standing- when you get to be able to shoot&kill gophers consistently at 150 yards using a 20fpe springer- then I think it can be established you are a good shooter- one who can take into account all the variables- pellet drop, springer recoil, windage, etc. etc.

Really, my point is that you can design any criteria for your shooting, using something other than a target-class gun (as people have indicated) to "prove" the point. I use the gopher-shooting example as that gentleman in Australia does (did?) this consistently on his farm to eliminate pests. I've never heard of anyone else being that accurate with all the potential variables using such a (relatively) low-powered gun. If I can ever shoot like that, I'm confident that my shooting days will be over.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:33 pm 

There is no problem Eric. The fellow who started this thread asked one of those perennial questions which...when all is said and done....is exactly what this forum is about... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:00 pm 

MAUSER wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:

FT sitting position @ 10yds......lots practice and luck involved, emphasis on the luck :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:20 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
MAUSER wrote:
jgoodz420 wrote:

FT sitting position @ 10yds......lots practice and luck involved, emphasis on the luck :lol:

The more practice is involved...the less it is really luck....I'm impressed.... :mrgreen: