Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: TAU 200 Senior Laminate
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:02 am 

After a terrible four day wait, I finally have my new Tau 200. The gun came packaged in a Tau BRNO cardboard box that was inside a larger box filled with packaging peanuts. D&L did a really nice job of packaging things up safely and shipped really quickly, top notch service as always. The gun itself has a slightly darker tone than the one in the picture, but overall seems to be a fairly nice laminate stock.

Having quickly read the instructions, I mounted the diopter sight (leaf sights are also included) and filled the gun from the 150 gram bulk container and was off shooting. The gun is a bit quieter than the Tau 7, but packs a fair bit of punch! Once the sights were adjusted, it was quite easy to get pellets into almost the same hole at about 7 or 8 yards rested. The gun is quite heavy with the included barrel weights, I will have to look into getting a scope for it soon to shave off some pounds as well as improve accuracy at further distances.

The bolt is a little rough out of the box, but some grease smooths it out a fair bit. Pellet loading is fairly straight forwards, you just cock the bolt and drop the pellet in then push the bolt forward and you are ready to go. The pellets do have a nasty habit of turning around backwards when dropped in carelessly. The trigger is very nice on this gun, right up there with the Tau 7's. When fired, the sound is more of a thunk as opposed to the sharper report that the Tau 7 makes. I also really like the fact that I can use bulk co2, it's so cheap once you are set up. Now if I can just find a bulk gun that has a multi shot magazine I would be set.

So far I am very pleased with this gun. If you have any questions or would like any other pics taken, feel free to ask.

Overall shot

Diopter detail

The bolt

The barrel weight is quite large and heavy, I guess it keeps the shakes down.

I don't really know what kind of rail this is, I will have to bring the gun in when shopping for scopes.

The butt pad slides up and down on a separate plastic piece that extends to lengthen the stock.

Where the pellets go.

Just like the Tau 7, this gun has an amazing trigger.

Hopefully that covers most of the angles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:57 pm 

Is it bulk fill only or will it accept powerlets? Also if you decide to put a scope on it PM me and I will buy the aperture sights. The breach is cut for standard airgun and rim fire dovetail.

Now if only the Crosman Challenger had a nice stock on it like this instead of that big chunk of plastic.

The barrel weight deadens vibration in the barrel and keeps your groupings small. It also is a serious component in the recoil dampening.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:08 pm 

Glad to see it arrived safe. How do you really feel about the stock colour not being what was advertised? That would tick me off to no end as I too wanted the light colour version. Dealer should have informed you of the difference in stocks. I will insist on it or no deal. Don`t like the plywood look at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:20 pm 

Congrats, it's a fine looking rifle!

))))----//----------==

Iacio ergo sum

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:28 pm 

Rolf wrote:
Glad to see it arrived safe. How do you really feel about the stock colour not being what was advertised? That would tick me off to no end as I too wanted the light colour version. Dealer should have informed you of the difference in stocks. I will insist on it or no deal. Don`t like the plywood look at all.

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the Home Depot plywood they used, but whatever, it's kind of starting to grow on me a bit. I guess I can always rip it into sheets and redo the floor with it if times are tough.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:04 pm 

peelu wrote:
Rolf wrote:

Yeah, I'm not too crazy about the Home Depot plywood they used, but whatever, it's kind of starting to grow on me a bit. I guess I can always rip it into sheets and redo the floor with it if times are tough.

I guess when they say "laminate" it is marketing jargon for "plywood"...but some plywood is nicer than others...

http://rifle-stocks.com/laminated_blanks.htm

.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:00 pm 

I think the laminate is a lot nicer than the yellow plastic on the older ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:51 am 

MAUSER wrote:
peelu wrote:
Rolf wrote:

I guess when they say "laminate" it is marketing jargon for "plywood"...but some plywood is nicer than others...

http://rifle-stocks.com/laminated_blanks.htm

.... :wink:

That is some nice Plywood! I really like the multi colored stuff on the Walther LG300xt laminate, that has to be one of the sharpest looking guns going.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:37 pm 

peelu wrote:
That is some nice Plywood! I really like the multi colored stuff on the Walther LG300xt laminate, that has to be one of the sharpest looking guns going.

That blue striping in the light colored wood is pretty sharp.

A laminate stock I have always liked is this one..... http://www.bbgunworld.com/store/usrimag ... 5B1%5D.jpg

If they sold that as a separate part I would buy one in a blink. It would only take a couple of dado cuts on a bench saw to make it suitable for the 853c which has too short of a stock for me even with all three inserts. Apparently it was intended to be the parade rifles for the cadets at West Point.

By the way...is the TAU 200 bulk fill only or will it take powerlets?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:40 pm 

That is a sweet stock! The Tau will take powerlets as well as bulk.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:55 pm 

Congrats! 8)

Very accurate and nice shooting rifle.

I see very little have been changed from my 8 year old TAU200. Nicer peep sight and probe handle; the laminate stock is a different color.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:32 pm 

ETA wrote:
Congrats! 8)

I see very little have been changed from my 8 year old TAU200. Nicer peep sight and probe handle; the laminate stock is a different color.

That is a very solid endorsement to me ETA. It is sort of like buying certain models of Volvo.....good quality....nice design.....certain basic fundamentals are perennial.

This gun just moved farther up my short list of what I want in my collection.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:51 am 

ETA wrote:
Congrats! 8)

Would you be able to post a pic of your Tau? I would love to see some other colors in the laminate version.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:01 am 

peelu wrote:
ETA wrote:
Congrats! 8)

Would you be able to post a pic of your Tau? I would love to see some other colors in the laminate version.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:54 pm 

Wow, that's nice! Thanks for the pic.