Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which is best for FT (all will be in .177cal)
Air Arms Pro Sport 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Air Arms TX200 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
Air Arms TX200 HC 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Weihrauch HW97K 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
Other (please identify) 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:32 am 

With the factory spring it was shooting some match pellets over 1,000fps. It had a harsh firing cycle but was fairly accurate. I then went with a JM kit and it tamed it down by about 120fps and got rid of the spring noise a bit. I competed in springer class with it that way for a year and did fairly well but it is a hold sensitive gun. I believe the gun was originally designed as a 12ft/lb'er so that's the main reason I'm going with the Vortek kit. The gun has shown it can be accurate but the powerplants up 'til now really rock the platform during the firing cycle so let's hope the tamer spring kit will bring it into it's own?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:02 pm 

Mac - good luck with the P90x...if followed properly that can be a VERY strenuous workout! I really like the stretching DVD...exposes your tight spots pretty quick!

Joel - the gentleman I shot with last match was shooting a Prosport at full power. He was inexperienced in the seated position, but shot it very well kneeling and off-hand. I believe he said he'd be at the next match with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:50 pm 

Pumpmaster wrote:
Joel - the gentleman I shot with last match was shooting a Prosport at full power. He was inexperienced in the seated position, but shot it very well kneeling and off-hand. I believe he said he'd be at the next match with it.

The Pro Sport does have a shorter barrel than the MKII TX that I have and what you said about Ivan shooting better offhand and kneeling makes sense. I have a TX200HC, the carbine model that would balance somewhat like a Pro Sport and I find it extremely hold sensitive from the sitting position. From the standing position, it is deadly as the hold for standing seems much easier to do exactly the same each time. The longer barreled MKII is much not near as hold sensitive. Since most serious FT is done from sitting, maybe this is the reason you do not see that many Pro Sports used by top shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:38 am 

Mac wrote:
Pumpmaster wrote:

The Pro Sport does have a shorter barrel than the MKII TX that I have and what you said about Ivan shooting better offhand and kneeling makes sense. I have a TX200HC, the carbine model that would balance somewhat like a Pro Sport and I find it extremely hold sensitive from the sitting position. From the standing position, it is deadly as the hold for standing seems much easier to do exactly the same each time. The longer barreled MKII is much not near as hold sensitive. Since most serious FT is done from sitting, maybe this is the reason you do not see that many Pro Sports used by top shooters.

This gentleman stated he found the TX extremely "nose-heavy". He uses his Prosport primarily to deal with pests around his property, so balance while taking a standing shot was very important to him.
While inexperienced with springers I suggested a large FT-style scope may balance out the weight of the TX - is that possible? He had only handled a new TX that did not have a scope mounted.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:17 am 

I have no balance issues with the TX, but I have a Dave G stock on it and a Bushnell 8-32, which is by no means a real heavy scope.

Ivan should be at the September 11th match with his Pro Sport and I will bring my TX. Ted may have his TX with him as well and it has a standard TX stock I believe. Not sure if there will be an HW97 there or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:23 am 

I have noticed that my TX is slightly nose heavy and have considered drilling and lead filling the butt.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:32 am 

Last Port Co. FT was my first rifle FT event, and the first time shooting form a seated position. Oh my...got to practice my Yoga... I was lucky enough to have Tom as my partner and he taught me a lot about positioning and stability. I hope to have the seated position somewhat mastered for the next even. Why did I purchase a Prosport. Four reasons: I wanted a rifle that was versatile, so I went with a springer ( no bottle to carry). The reputation of Air Arms products is very good, so I had to choose between the TV and Prosport. I had the chance to try both the Prosport and TX and found the balance of the Prosport better for me. Both have wonderful craftsmanship and the triggers are very nice and crisp (not al light as I would have liked but will do for now). In the end I chose the Prosport, feel, quality and last but not least looks. It is just a wonderful piece. Everything about it is sexy. It is true, as stated earlier it is very hold sensitive. If I am on, I can get ½” groups at 25 years no problem, but if I am off, not holding it just right the groups expend to 3”. This is the challenge I faced at the FT, never having shot seated, and figuring out the correct hold and eye relief for the scope for that position was a huge learning curve. One other thing worth mentioning is the cocking effort. It is high, and having to change my position dramatically to cock it really throws one off. All in all I love the Prosport...it makes me smile when I take it out and shoot it. It is lovely to look at and is a fine piece of machinery. I do think I will eventually get a TX or BAM40 as well, but for now I want to master the Prosport.

Air Arms S400 MPR with Elite 6500
Hammerli AP40

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:09 pm 

uglyduck wrote:
Last Port Co. FT was my first rifle FT event, and the first time shooting form a seated position. Oh my...got to practice my Yoga... I was lucky enough to have Tom as my partner and he taught me a lot about positioning and stability. I hope to have the seated position somewhat mastered for the next even. Why did I purchase a Prosport. Four reasons: I wanted a rifle that was versatile, so I went with a springer ( no bottle to carry). The reputation of Air Arms products is very good, so I had to choose between the TV and Prosport. I had the chance to try both the Prosport and TX and found the balance of the Prosport better for me. Both have wonderful craftsmanship and the triggers are very nice and crisp (not al light as I would have liked but will do for now). In the end I chose the Prosport, feel, quality and last but not least looks. It is just a wonderful piece. Everything about it is sexy. It is true, as stated earlier it is very hold sensitive. If I am on, I can get ½” groups at 25 years no problem, but if I am off, not holding it just right the groups expend to 3”. This is the challenge I faced at the FT, never having shot seated, and figuring out the correct hold and eye relief for the scope for that position was a huge learning curve. One other thing worth mentioning is the cocking effort. It is high, and having to change my position dramatically to cock it really throws one off. All in all I love the Prosport...it makes me smile when I take it out and shoot it. It is lovely to look at and is a fine piece of machinery. I do think I will eventually get a TX or BAM40 as well, but for now I want to master the Prosport.

Ivan - glad to see you chime in, I wasn't sure if you were on the forum or not. You shot that Prosport very well for your first match, and I'm sure your scores will improve steadily as you get used to shooting from a seated position. You should be used to sitting on the ground with that Lotus of yours! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:14 pm 

The seating position in the Lotus is very close to the grounds, but much more relaxed than the FT seating position. One of my missions today is to order some cork for a bum bad. Tom's worked so well compared to my flat piece of foam. I will make up a bag and fill it with the chopped cork, then I will be comfy :)

Hammerli AP40

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:17 pm 

Here's where I got mine...(I'm Tom by the way :D ) With such an easily misinterpreted screen name I tend to not introduce myself as such in person :lol:
http://www.jelinek.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:26 pm 

Hi Tom...
I found your post from years back on the cork and have contacted them....their on line "cork Store " is off line right now. Will have to make a trip down...maybe tomorrow afternoon.

Hammerli AP40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:02 pm 

Great to hear someone else is interested in springers. They are a blast and will keep you on your toes!

I've not shot the open class. Both are great classes I just prefer the WFTF rules. Having said that, Len, maybe at one of the fall matches we can do the Open class. Good to switch things up.

I picked up a TX-200 a year ago June based on research and, as Tim mentioned, it being a commonly used, seriously competitive FT gun. Dealt with Travis at Airgun Source. Great service. Haven't tried a HW 97 though have heard lots of good things about it. Also, if Len uses it you can bank on if being a great gun.

Would go with Tom's suggestion about looking at an after market stock. I picked up a GNIB for mine and it made a dramatic difference in hold and comfort. Get something that is adjustable so that it can fit you properly. Also picked up a Vortec tuning kit. Brought the gun under 12 FTE and smoothed it out. Finally put a new trigger blade from Rowan Engineering in the UK. Gave me better control on the trigger feel and position.

The TX is great to shoot and can drive tacks. Still working my way up the learning curve and having a blast doin' it!