Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: modding a 2289
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:56 pm 

hey guys... fellow modders :twisted:

im currently trying to tune up a 2289 i just picked up. my goal is the legal limit at 5 pumps, so, 495 fps. right now all im getting is 375 fps at 5 pumps. i get 477 at 10 pumps. this all with the stock .22 14" barrel.

ive gone a different route this time, where modding is concerned. no major volume mods, minus the valve stem seal. i bored out the exhaust port, installed the transfer port, and put an o-ring on the back of the valve where the stem comes out. flattened the valve face, made the intake hole smaller, metal pump piston, and installed a piece of alum rod inside the valve to take up volume. i havent touched the bolt probe yet, but im using an allen key to push the pellet in further. im kinda concerned, since i SHOULD be getting better power. maybe just the stock bolt probe is too restrictive. and yes, i plugged the bleeder hole... :lol:

anyhow, im lookin for any feedback, pointers, what have you. if you guys could let me know what your modded 2289 gets at 10 pumps, i would appreciate it... 5 pumps as well.

let me know what you guys got!

later.
al.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:15 pm 

what exactly do you do to take up volume in the valve? i put a piece of plastic in the valve spring, but then the valve stem wnot go in well when the hammer hits it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:32 pm 

My chrony results:

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2482&highlight=chronod

What I did:

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2382

The only thing I can think of is to swap out your springs. Harder hammer, way lighter valve. You'l have to cock it before pumping, but it should dump the air faster.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:32 pm 

thanx wrong way. hey, did you enlarge the main port where the stem seals inside the valve?

i found my problem though. im losing major power due to a leaking transfer port... and my bolt leaks out from the o-ring also... looks like im gonna have to build a new bolt, since the stock one doesnt close far enough.

even with the metal pump piston, and with the valve volume at about half capacity, i still cant lock up the valve... i only tried 30 pumps... but just to see :roll: once all the leaks are sealed up, i'll work on a hammer spring that will only let 500 fps out of the gun... at 5 pumps :lol:

think i can do it? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:03 pm 

NO. The only valve mods I did were to enlarge the "intake" hole to make it easier to pump, put a derlin insert in to decrease valve volume, and put in a really weak spring.

Ryan