Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:51 pm 

Gotta start thinking in these terms :)

At present my Hatsan AT44W is the most accurate airgun I own. Would appreciate any thoughts on what to practice on.

Walter....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:26 pm 

The rifle you choose does not have to be accurate at all to compete in FT. It just has to meet the safety, division and power requirements.

But if you are asking is how accurate a rifle must be to be competitive, well, that depends on who you are competing against. I can say this, you will get away with a less accurate gun for a while when a club and shooters are more novice, but that will soon change.

As a rule of thumb as to what are really good airgun groups:
- .500 inch groups at 50 yards for PCP
- under 1 inch at 50 yards for spring gun

That said, you can have the most accurate rifle at the match and be far from the top score if you are not able to keep steady. Gun and shooter make the winning package.

Good luck to you guys out there. I hope Field Target lives long and prospers there.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:19 am 

Well said Chris...

Walter, here is what my S410 was (sold for a EV2) doing at 60-65yds, 11.8 FPE, w/JSB 10.2's, as stated; the gun was capable of this, I definitely was not capable of matching the guns accuracy every day or match...While practicing I have hit a 1" killzone from 80yds consistently as well
The larger group in the lower center of the target was shot by my girlfriend's 11yr old cousin (under my supervision) from a bench-rested position aka; a picnic table with bags :lol: ...and I shot the .503" group from a WFTF(unsupported) seated position off of my foam butt pad :lol:

Attachment:
25-2.jpg
25-2.jpg [ 70.14 KiB | Viewed 1362 times ]

Attachment:
25.jpg
25.jpg [ 75.47 KiB | Viewed 1362 times ]

So you how is that Hatsan shooting? 10yd, 25yd, 45yd and 65yd are usually where I try to test the groups on paper for FT. Accuracy seems mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, so lets see them groups :) . Glad to see you guys are getting into FT out there, its such a great way to spend a day, a little competition and tons of airgun chat :drinkers:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:26 am 

Thanks fellas, that helps. Was shooting last night but not on paper yet. Actually had best luck with my .20cal Condor :)

will do some paper groups soon.

Walter....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:00 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
How accurate must a rifle be to compete in FT?

To enter a match and have fun? Just slightly more accurate than what can be achieved by throwing the pellets by hand!
To do as well as I think you'd like:
CJN wrote:
As a rule of thumb as to what are really good airgun groups:
- .500 inch groups at 50 yards for PCP
- under 1 inch at 50 yards for spring gun

I find a big factor that separates the top shooters from the journeymen like me is the mental focus. Remembering to check your elevation turret for proper rotation, shooting at the wrong target or too many times at the same target, shooting targets out of order, forgetting holdover or windage, mistakes in ranging etc etc. I find it quite easy to drop a half dozen shots this way in a match. The winners never do and this is a big part of their game.