Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:27 pm 

I'm a big fan of the dollar store and the spoons (I'd like to take credit for the idea but I'm sure I'm not the first :P)

BUT, one thing I really like to shoot are ICE CUBES. They are entirely free (hydro bill aside), leave no mess and require no cleanup, and THEY EXPLODE when you hit em :D. I use the run of the mill 1.5/2 inch ice cubes from the freezer tray. Hitting em with a .22 pellet is soooooo freakin satisfying you would believe; they explode into a thousand little shards that you can hear sprinkling down at the other end of your yard for a second or two afterword.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:43 pm 

When you have a gun that can hit anything at 50 or 100 yds with no worries. anything can be a target.To go out and buy a target just seems a waste of money. Pick a branch on a tree or a cat tail at 100 yds, an apple on a tree, a pine cone. The only reason to buy a pellet trap is so you don't send 5 lbs of lead into the earth. which in my opinion is where it came from in the first place. I,m a shooting junkie. I don,t care what I shoot as long as I,m shooting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 am 

i use a table spoon, a tea spoon, 1 inch piece steel for scoped @ 20 m.
3" and 6" square aluminum plate, and 2 " round steel plate @ 20m. for open sites
3 and 6 @ 25
and a bright orange crab bait container (found washed up on beach) on a pole at 30 meters.

crows at various distances- but as soon as they see me they take off and assume evasive maneuvers with great haste!!! :mrgreen: ( probably due to the no-fly, crow "re-education" i have implement, inside the wire of my personal political re-education compound) :mrgreen:

i also have some non-grassed areas, where i site in and also use to snipe rocks. dry dirt is fairly reactive when dry.

i also have some 6" plate hanging from trees by 3 foot string- they spin around vertical axis as well as swinging back and forth in the wind.

i am also planing on suspending a wooden pallet- which i plan to used to sit upon and use like a swing. so the plan is to sit cross legged on, get swinging, then shoot from a moving platform.

the idea of being on a moving platform, shooting a moving target, sounds like fun and should help improve my skills for the crows.

all shooting done with under 500 beeman springer (177 and 22), scoped p-17, and hopefully a desert eagle soon.

sub 500 .177 Hatsan mod 33 with Quattro trigger open sites

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:19 am 

Mod33 wrote:
I'm a big fan of the dollar store and the spoons (I'd like to take credit for the idea but I'm sure I'm not the first :P)

BUT, one thing I really like to shoot are ICE CUBES. They are entirely free (hydro bill aside), leave no mess and require no cleanup, and THEY EXPLODE when you hit em :D. I use the run of the mill 1.5/2 inch ice cubes from the freezer tray. Hitting em with a .22 pellet is soooooo freakin satisfying you would believe; they explode into a thousand little shards that you can hear sprinkling down at the other end of your yard for a second or two afterword.

Now that idea I like! I'll have to give it a shot. May be a challenge at the distances I'm shooting at.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:25 pm 

I have a bunch of different targets. The most frequently used are frozen juice can lids stuck into a groove ripped into a 2X4 (Folks save them for me. Sad I know but hey). The second is C02 cylinders(spent) stuck into holes drilled into a 2X4. Both "ping" nice and vary the challenge. I have a 50 metre home outdoor range so I guess I am spoiled. And as alway is my "rack" with spinners, Paper and cans. http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo32 ... and002.jpg
Happy shooting:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:28 pm 

Lol!. Love the rack.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:01 pm 

^ Great set up ! :drinkers:

http://www.dlairgun.com/ - http://www.airgunhome.com/
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 am 

as i race nitro powerd 1/8 scale rc buggys i have old worn out tires and spare lexan body shells some times i shoot those then use them to go race looks pretty rad i like to shoot pennies and empty tubes of lip chap also i seem to acquire lots of ipods that just stoped working from my friends those are a ton of funn to shoot

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 am 

Can't believe no on mentionned paintballs... cheap golfing tees and paintball are a perfect match.
The paintballs are fairly cheap and biodegradable nothing to pick-up when your done shooting.
I cut the grass shorter where I shoot so I can clearly see the targets, I tried drilling a piece of wood to fit the tees in but one miss and the piece of wood moves too much and the paintballs all fall down so each tee must be separated.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:25 pm 

Mod33 wrote:

BRILLIANT! Never would have thought of that! *dances excitedly* I like the exploding factor - one of the reasons my favorite thing to shoot has always been empty beer/wine bottles. Unfortunately they leave a huge (and dangerous) mess, which is why they only get shot at in the massive fire pit at the TB campsite. After a few fires the glass shards just melt down.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don't know what your rights are, or who the person is you're talking to. Then on the way out, slam the door.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:16 pm 

I don't shoot in the yard but I have ten metres in my shop. As far as a pellet trap goes what works for me is a 12 bottle wine box with half a dozen pieces of thick old carpet taped together and put vertically into the box . It works well for lead containment and you can pin paper targets on it and I also use a larger piece of plywood behind for stray pellets. /AGG

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:27 pm 

Ive posted this before but for my money sidewalk chalk is the greatest thing, they explode in a cloud of dust when hit. for closer work .22 casings are good out to 20 yards for a bit of a challenge.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm 

idontknowjack wrote:
Lol!. Love the rack.

You sure have a lovely rack indeed...... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:00 pm 

I used to shoot pinecones out of the trees but i shot them all and now there is none left, and none are growing back :? so i throw golfballs on the lawn and shoot them around

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:34 pm 

SomeGuy wrote:
I used to shoot pinecones out of the trees but i shot them all and now there is none left, and none are growing back :? so i throw golfballs on the lawn and shoot them around

I don't think that's the greatest idea. Golf balls are specifically designed to withstand & be bounced off a high pressure impact. Now I'm definitely not sure about this, but I feel as if you run the risk of having pellets bounce back at you or ricochet in dangerous directions. Make double sure you and any spectators are wearing eye protection...

ps. NEVER shoot a superball for this reason

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next