Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Hit Zone Size.
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:59 pm 

For the non pal rated FT shoots or Pal for that matter what size of kill zone will be used. Is it a standard size for FT competition? I downloaded chair gun and am playing with the numbers.

Post subject: Re: kill zone size
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:27 pm 

They have been relaxed some from the standard ballpark maximums:

Sub 500fps
3/8- up to 15 yards
1/2- up to 20 yards
3/4- up to 25 yards
1.0- up to 30 yards
1.5- up to 35 yards

This is "ballpark", but those who set up target certain try to keep at or under these sizes. You may see a 1/4 inch target placed around the 10-11 yards mark at this match, and a few one inch targets may be pushed out the the maximum distance of 35 yards.

Remember, the maximum distance for targets at sub 500fps matches are 35 yards.

For standard matches, we use this as a "ballpark":
1/4- up to 15 yards
3/8- up to 20 yards
1/2- up to 25 yards
3/4- up to 35 yards
1.0- up to 45 yards
1.25- up to 50 yards
1.50+-up to 55 yards

Standard matches have target placed out to 55 yards. Standing and kneeling shots are 1.50+ inch.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 10:54 am 

Thanks, thats good info to have!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:41 pm 

Hey CJN, That WAS a neat little comparison of the basic differences in ranges & KZ sizes that could normally be expected at a typical Sub500/Pistol match & regular 20 fp F.T. match. Maybe it should be a Sticky for reference.
I know that different volunteers, who generally bring targets for a lane or two may stretch the limits on distance or size or "placement" ie) high/low, obstructed slightly/ open air, etc. to help keep the game interesting/challenging for the regulars ( Using Troyer ratings for CAFTA events, of course,) I set up a lane once with someone else's targets & was told to move one that I placed out of bounds so to speak - which actually got me reading about the same thing, & learning more.

X2- Alaus24.

Anybody got chairgun actually running on MAC without sub-dividing the O/S ??? I WISH !!!

This IS interesting & useful info. Nice "Synopsis" CJN- 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:33 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

POWDERKEG wrote:
Maybe it should be a Sticky for reference.

Sounds like a good idea to me . :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am 
Supporting Member 2009

Here's an updated guideline for kill zone (KZ) sizes, as per CJN's comments:

Sub 500fps
1/4" - up to 11-12ish yards... depending on where you're sitting!
3/8" - up to 15 yards
1/2" - up to 20 yards
3/4" - up to 25 yards
1" and larger - up to 35ish yards... depending on where your sitting it *could* be 36 yards... so do test your rig out a few extra yards!

ALSO there can be kill zone sizes that are in between these diameters, such as 5/8", 7/16", 1-1/4", etc.. so when you think you see a 'large' 1/2" kill zone, it could be be a 5/8" size :shock:

ALSO, a larger KZ could always be placed closer than the recommended distance; so a 1" could be placed at 19 yards for example.
This is often done many times on a Field Target course, to give a good mix of difficulties..

SO even if you have a rifle that can't group better than 1" at 20 yards, that's OKAY, you can still come on out, have a TONNE of FUN and you'll be GUARANTEED to knock some over!

And don't forget: YOUR FIRST MATCH IS FREE! :D :D

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:00 pm 

Basically, a "general" SET of KZ sizes, placed at a "general" SET of DISTANCES allows "SOME" variation in difficulty in a limited firepower, organized shooting event. That's an "Even-Playing-Field" to me.

So an under-500 fps. match, - or an under 20 foot-pound match would end up being very similar when it comes to the CHALLENGE as a shooter, just because the KZ sizes & distances would be adjusted for that particular match.

The Troyer rating is based on both KZ size and Distance, & remains the definitive scale used overall at matches that are recorded world-wide in Field-Target Competitions.

Hope the info helps. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:32 pm 

Not exactly theres no wind when running 20ft/lb whereas lesser levels can require massive amounts of aiming off.
Thats why theres an agreed global ruling of 12ft/lb, the wind and trajectory make FT. Other than thats its just benchrest FT.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 pm 

I am not involved in official FT events so take my comments for what they are worth.

The term "kill zone" relates solely to the area on a human target while hunters tend to use the term "vitals". Extend your research outside of airgunning and into combat skills and you will find the history of this.

I don't see how using the term "kill zone" as being constructive to the sport of airgunning as far as public opinion is concerned, nor being constructive when used on an airgun forum especially in Canada.

Sure, it is small potates among your pro-airgun friends, but you have to look at the larger anti-anything gun related public.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 am 

Many, including myself, have recently been referring to this as a hit zone as opposed to a kill zone. I think the WFTF does the same.

CAFTA's rules are in the revision process and although the term kill zone was only used once, it will be replaced by hit zone, which was also used in the rules. Target shapes have evolved to the place where kill zone is not an accurate descriptor, such as shooting a hat or down the barrel of a ray gun.

In the past, targets were all of air gun quarry, where the hit zone was indeed a kill zone in what many considered a hunting simulation game. There was no thought of humanlike targets. Now with zombies, terrorists and all sorts of cartoon type creatures, the term kill zone has started to seem inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:41 am 

OhCanada wrote:
I am not involved in official FT events so take my comments for what they are worth.

The term "kill zone" relates solely to the area on a human target while hunters tend to use the term "vitals". Extend your research outside of airgunning and into combat skills and you will find the history of this.

I don't see how using the term "kill zone" as being constructive to the sport of airgunning as far as public opinion is concerned, nor being constructive when used on an airgun forum especially in Canada.

Sure, it is small potates among your pro-airgun friends, but you have to look at the larger anti-anything gun related public.

Really? Solely on a human target? Based on what?
Field targets are sold everywhere with listings of "KZ" reducer sizes.
Even though I haven't hunted in a few years I have never and know of no one who uses the term "vitals".
Some people need to get a life, this is another example of political correctness going to far.
As for the "anti-anything gun related public", nothing but a complete ban of all guns would keep them happy.
Not trying to start a pissing match, just voicing another opinion.

Grunt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:03 pm 

Someone needs to inform the Hawke Optics company regarding this supposedly human-target-only use of the term 'kill zone.' Their software Chairgun Pro has always used KZ as one of the setup parameters. Since it is a meaningful term as applied to hunting for various critters which are not human (as in 'hit critter here, critter dies') it seems fair enough to me. Of course it may offend some, but seems a bit silly to me. Are we in a race to become entirely inconsequential in our communications? Often seems that within another few decades no one will utter anything without first running it through a 'sage's language filter, lest we offend anyone at all. Does anyone really imagine that catering to such thinking will allow us to shoot airguns? Or even pea shooters?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:11 pm 

Hmm - sounds as if it won't be long before FT targets are made of only a single, non-identifiable shape, and the "Kill Zones" will be called "spots", but then someone with a pet named "spot" might find offense.

Yeah - this is getting silly.

The FT targets are animals and the kill zones are placed for a kill on that animal - or should be. THAT is why they are called "kill zones". Anyone offended by this should simply get a new hobby - don't try to change mine to fit a "politically motivated doctrine".

Many of us sight in our hunting rifles to take advantage of the kill zone size on the animals we are hunting, thus eliminating any 'hold-over' for the longest possible range, thus allowing us within that specific maximum range, of holding dead centre on the lungs & obtaining a kill shot when touching off the shot.

Kill Zones in air gunning or hunting has nothing to do with humans except hopefully, humans are pulling the triggers.

Last edited by Daryl on Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:23 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
...without first running it through a 'sage's language filter, lest we offend anyone at all...

Silly Android auto-correct. Thumb typing on the phone and missed re-correcting 'sage's' to 'safe.'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:56 am 

Really?

The KZ's on a bf-109 were always cockpit and engine. That term dates to at least 1941 when my father trained as a W.A.G....

-D.S.