Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 1:42 am 

This is a head to head comparison of my Benjamin Discovery .22 vs my newly acquired Hammerli Pneuma .22. I used the same Scope, a 5-15X40 Legend, for all the tests.
The Pneuma is about 2lbs heavier, and is over all physically larger. With the pistol grip thumb hole stock the Pneuma is, IMO, the more comfortable of the two.
I was not happy with the Disco trigger, but I've polished up the surfaces that contact one-another and installed a trigger spring that I purchased from DerekVinyard, I'm still not in love with it, but it's much better. The Pneuma trigger has a bit longer pull than I really like but, it is smooth. I'll likely play with it's adjustments in the near future, but right out of the box it's pretty good.
I only have 3 types of .22 pellets right now, they are Crosman premier hp, JSB exacts, and H&N sport. Since I have quite a few of the Crosmans that is what I used for my shot strings, and I just shot some 5 shots groups with the others for accuracy.
For the Pneuma,I shot a 30 shot string, that takes the reservoir from 200bar to 100bar .The first 15 are the most consistent going from 980fps-960fps the next 5 it dropped to 930fps another 5 took it below 900 the final five ended around 870fps. For accuracy I was shooting 25m and the JSB were the best with a .450 group, the Premiers were prone to having fliers that messed up their groups, and the H&N were all over the place.
For the Disco I did two tests one with the factory hammer spring and one with the hammer spring which I also got from DerekVinyard. I only shot 25 shot strings because that took the reservoir from 2Kpsi to 1Kpsi. With the factory spring the first 10 went from 810-830fps where it leveled off till around the 18th shot where it began to fall off back to 810 by the 21st then dropping rapidly, finishing at 770 for the 25th shot. With the DV spring the first 12 shots varied from 848-864 then began a progressive drop off, by the 22nd shot it was down to 760 and 1Kpsi. I did fire 3 more shots seeing about 20fps drop with each one. For accuracy with the factory spring the H&N were better, .950, but not by much, but with the DV spring the JSBs were better, .900.
I'll do more testing, but right now its looking like the Pneuma is the better gun.

HW 100 .177
HW 45 .177&.22
IZH-46M .177
Backpacker 1389 .177 needs to be fixed

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:25 am 

Your right. the Hatsan is the better gun all the way around.

George.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:21 am 

Indeed, Hatsan AT44 is much better PCP.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:19 am 

I have the Pneuma in .177 cal and was not very impressed with accuracy, so my intention,s were to buy the LW barrel from Sniper when they come in, HOWEVER !!! I read in another forum about brass brush lapping. Now I know using a wire brush on an air rifle barrel is shunned, I figured since I intend to buy the LW barrel anyway what have I got to lose. I must say the result,s were astounding. I went from 1.5" group,s at 50 yd,s to 3/4" group,s and at 20 meter,s I put 6 shot,s in almost the same hole. I must not lie however the groups were not always so tight. but are, on average. Enough that I now will consider using her for hunting, where as before I would not trust it for a humane kill.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:48 am 

I am thinking of buying one as well,but still have to learn more about this rifle,for example,how do you refill the air? are spare cylinders expensive?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:30 am 

Filling the gun is easy using the probe that comes with the gun. Ertra tank is about $100.00.

George.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:19 am 

Just a couple of points....

The DV spring for the Disco is intended to be used with a higher fill pressure, about 2400 psi (to the top of the yellow zone).... If you don't feel comfortable doing that, there is no point in using it.... The reason for a heavier spring is to work with the higher fill pressure....

Quote:
I went from 1.5" group,s at 50 yd,s to 3/4" group,s and at 20 meter

Those are virtually the same accuracy, I would expect a gun that shoots 1.5" at 50 yards to do 3/4" at 20M....

My personal experience is that the Disco is more accurate than the Hatsan, and it's certainly a lot lighter.... The Hatsan has nearly a 50% larger air reservoir than the Disco, and therefore can be expected to have a similar shot count but at the higher power that the Hatsan is tuned for with it's 2800-2900 psi fill.... In addition, with the added power, you may find that the Hatsan performs better with heavier pellets....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:26 am 

rsterne wrote:

The DV spring for the Disco is intended to be used with a higher fill pressure, about 2400 psi (to the top of the yellow zone).... If you don't feel comfortable doing that, there is no point in using it.... The reason for a heavier spring is to work with the higher fill pressure....

Quote:
I went from 1.5" group,s at 50 yd,s to 3/4" group,s and at 20 meter.....gotta finish the quote Bob.....

Those are virtually the same accuracy, I would expect a gun that shoots 1.5" at 50 yards to do 3/4" at 20M....

My personal experience is that the Disco is more accurate than the Hatsan, and it's certainly a lot lighter.... The Hatsan has nearly a 50% larger air reservoir than the Disco, and therefore can be expected to have a similar shot count but at the higher power that the Hatsan is tuned for with it's 2800-2900 psi fill.... In addition, with the added power, you may find that the Hatsan performs better with heavier pellets....

Bob

50yd groups were cut in half and 20m he can now stack pellets.

reread the post :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:29 am 

Thanks for that, Voltar1.... Apparently I can't read.... :oops:

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:39 am 

rsterne wrote:

Quote:
I went from 1.5" group,s at 50 yd,s to 3/4" group,s and at 20 meter

Bob

I think you misread. My group at 50 yds went from 1.5" to 3/4". At 20 m 1/4" group,s fairly consistently.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:09 pm 

2nd apology....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:07 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Thanks for that, Voltar1.... Apparently I can't read.... :oops:

Bob

You are in good company. I do it all the time! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:16 pm 

The only bad thing that I don't like about the Disco is it is very loud . It is nice and light and loves the Discovery pellets . The blueing could be better too .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:58 pm 

My Pneuma is a pal rated gun and is also very loud.