Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Simple backstop
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:38 pm 

I am looking to make a simple and quick backstop for target shooting with a Beretta 92FS, (425fps) and am wondering if it makes any sense to simply stick some high density styrofoam to plywood? Or would the styro get mangled in no time?

I don't want to spend a lot of time or money, just to make something to pin my paper targets to. I am open to any/all of your suggestions!

Thanks,
Glen
Fogo Island, Newfoundland

Post subject: Re: Simple backstop
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:59 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Won't last.
Duct seal is the compound of choice. Last forever and is reasonably cheap. Home depot has it, if not an Electrical supply shop will have it
Here are the search result with lots of info
search.php?keywords=duct+seal&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:32 pm 

I use an old desk drawer-line the back with single slabs of duct seal-using masking tape from the top edge of the drawer and stuck to the top of the target.Move it along, vertically and horizontally until the seal is full of pellets/bbs then carefully peeled off and reversed to use the other side ( unless you want to pick out all those pellets with your wife's eyebrow tweezers)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:37 pm 

When i got my first pellet rifle i made a pretty good wood stop.
It seemed ok, but after 1000 rounds, it was punched out, this was at 10 yards.
This also was a 495fps .177
I bought a .22 and started shooting at it, it went right through :shock: ... & i put a hole through my garage door :oops: sigh.

So i built a pellet trap, box, & put the duct seal in it no worries now.
That stuff works great. I also bumped up my .22 to 690 fps & it still stops it 8)
Its worth spending the couple of $$$,its 2.38 a brick for the duct seal.

http://www.dlairgun.com/ - http://www.airgunhome.com/
http://scopesandammo.com/storefront/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:32 am 

Please excuse my inexperience, but could I not just use a piece of plywood for a simple backstop? Or would the pellets just bounce off it? I would think the pellets would sink into it, but I am new to this, and have not yet received my pistol. (thanks to striking Canada Post!)

Glen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:49 am 

Eventually even a non pal gun would chew a hole through the wood. Also as they stick into the wood if another pellet was to hit the same spot you could get bounce backs.

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:28 pm 

I've got a cheap and simple target trap that I've been using for almost a decade. It's an old shoe box with two pairs of worn out jeans folded up inside. After thousands of shots the front/top pair of jeans is starting to look like they need to be replaced but the back/bottom pair is still pretty much untouched. I use this trap when chronographing too and it will stop my 13.5fpe Diana 34 with no problems at close range.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:26 pm 

cardboard box with carpet remnants will stop anything. Tape the target on with duct tape. Can tape a new cardboard front on or splurge and get a new box when worn out.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:50 pm 

i do the same thing. A cardboard shoe box with lots of old newspaper's inside :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm 

Benny wrote:
I've got a cheap and simple target trap that I've been using for almost a decade. It's an old shoe box with two pairs of worn out jeans folded up inside. After thousands of shots the front/top pair of jeans is starting to look like they need to be replaced but the back/bottom pair is still pretty much untouched. I use this trap when chronographing too and it will stop my 13.5fpe Diana 34 with no problems at close range.

This would be my choice.

just shuffle the rags or jeans every so often to get an idea how long they last. a 1/2" plywood behind the box for insurance

good one Ben

Walter....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:40 pm 

I make my own out of 3/4" plywood that look like the crosman backstop you can buy at Canadian tire ect.
You can vary the dimensions any way you want ( bigger or smaller)
I line them with either duct seal or cut piles of old blue jeans.
I have heard alot of people line old barbecue lids with duct seal as well.
That's pretty cheap and easy enough.
HTH
Eric

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:00 pm 

Benny wrote:

x2 with the old clothes in a box, or barrel, or an old BBQ, or a barrel of dirt laid on it,s side.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:46 am 

What did you end up using for a backstop? How well did it work? As a no cost backstop I used 6 inches of cardboard box sides stacked together and put inside a skinny but wide and tall cardboard box. Only lasts about 1500 shots before it's turned into confetti and I have to make another. Good size and shape for pistol shooting at 15 to 25 feet distance. And it was big enough to put three 8.5x11 paper targets on and light enough to tack up on the garage wall.

I assume you did finally get your Beretta 92fs pistol. I had one briefly but had to return it after one week; the seam at the top started separating after about 600 shots and the safety switch was getting wiggly with no way to tighten it. It was surprising because it seemed to be made with weapons grade steel. How was the quality on your Beretta, has it held up well to use?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:59 pm 

I use the silent trap with the putty for all my rifles but for most pistols, since the velocity is less (425 fps or less), I use a different trap.

I experimented with carboards, newspaper, phone books but they are all messy.

My final system is a wooden box with several layers of folded denim cloth. The trick is to avoid anything under tension. If the cloth is streched the pellet will go right through so what is required is a series of loose curtains attached only at the top and with space in between.

In the picture I have removed one side. Essentially it is a box with the front open. I could be wood or even a large cardboard box. In the fact the cheapest version would be a carboard box and a couple of length of the bamboo sticks used as tutor for plants.

After punching a series of holes, spaced about 1 inch apart, close to the top of the left and right sides of the boxe, place 3 or 4 bamboo rods in them. A piece of folded denim is positioned on each rods making 3 or 4 double curtains.

The paper target is hung on the front edge of the boxe so the pellet punches the paper, continues through some air before it hits the first curtain. It case of slow rebound, the paper will keep the pellet inside the trap as it won't be able to go back through the same hole. After a while the front layer of denim may need to be changed but the others will be intact.

R-Gun Pete

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:35 pm 

I just use a large cardboard box with a piece of 3/4" plywood in the back and the front stuffed with the hundreds of plastic bags you feel guilty about throwing in the garbage. Just tape a new piece of cardboard on the front when needed.