Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: baikal izh 651k modular
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:10 pm 

Any one has first hand experience with izh 651 ? Any reviews?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:22 pm 

Captain Jack wrote
Quote:
Any one has first hand experience with izh 651 ? Any reviews?

I’ve had the Baikal IZH MP-651K for the past 4 years. It is a very well made pistol with a frame made of good quality aluminum cast alloy and a few other aluminum alloy parts like the trigger and hammer. The only plastic parts are a linear BB reservoir for 23 BBs sitting on the top of the barrel shroud and the grip covers. In essence, it is a revolver, very similar in concept to the Umarex pistols using round 8 shot rotary magazines. It comes with one rotary magazine for lead pellets and the other one for BBs. The latter can only be used for BBs because it has choked cavities to prevent BBs from rolling out. The lead pellets are conventionally loaded into a rotary magazine but the BBs from a linear magazine above the barrel are continuously fed during shooting into the rotary magazine. This is a very clever engineering design. The barrel is rifled steel. You can shoot both lead and steel BBs. Personally I don’t shoot steel BBs too often just to be on the safe side and keep the barrel rifling in a good shape. The muzzle velocity with a 7.0gr lead pellet at 19C is 400fps (according to my chronograph readings). Number of shots per CO2 capsule around 70. The gun can be shot in a DA/SA action. The pistol is inherently very accurate but a DA trigger pull which must also rotate the magazine is rather heavy. The SA action trigger is very good. Cocking the pistol for SA requires pushing the hammer with your thumb rather than pulling it. I am not aware of any other pistol with this kind of a hammer-push cocking mechanism. One can also de-cock it by keeping your thumb over the hammer and releasing the trigger. The metal rear sights are fully adjustable for windage and elevation. The pistol comes with a shoulder stock that can be adjusted for length which has an imbedded periscopic device allowing to see the pistol sights. It also comes with a fore-end having a fake barrel which is purely cosmetic making the gun looking more “tactical”. However, both the stock and fore-end are made of good quality plastic most likely reinforced with chopped glass fibers for additional strength. I don’t use them anyways. Especially the fore-end is very tight and leaves scratches on the barrel when the gun is pushed into it. The manual is well written in Russian, English and German with the detailed and precise cross-sectional figures of the internal mechanisms. I am not sure how many CO2 pistols you already have but I wouldn't recommend the MP-651K as a first CO2 pistol to own. However, if you are a collector it would be a very nice addition to your collection as a very unique CO2 pistol and quite rare in Canada. Although a bit overpriced ($180).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:25 am 

Very detailed review,thank you Rav.
Jack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:42 pm 

Baikal-Canada in Toronto was still selling the IZH-BAIKAL MP-651k Co2 pistol/Carbine kit for $89+shipping ($20) from their website up until 2015, which was when I bought mine from them.
I think it is out of stock now, but it was much cheaper to buy directly from Baikal-Canada.
The post above is a very accurate description of the MP-651k.
I have found the foregrip/faux barrel extension and the shoulder stock helps make this a very accurate AirGun from 30-40 feet using the built in open sights and Periscope device.
4.5 mm lead roundball is my preferred ammunition for this AirGun.
It's great to load 24 roundballs into the built-in spring fed magazine, plus 8 in the rotary mag, and just concentrate on shooting.
The trigger pull must vary, because I don't find the double action pull to be all that heavy.
Since I mainly have the AirGun setup as a carbine, it is DAO.
I lube the trigger internals and with use t is quite smoothnd predictable.
The trigger parts are easily accessible by removing a small plate on the right side of the frame. No need to take the entire AirGun apart just to fix a trigger problem.
I have a decent collection of vintage and modern AirGuns, and my Baikal MP-651k is so unique, that it will probably be a part of my permanent collection for years to come.

Sheridan Blue Streak
Diana Chaser .22cal
DPMS Classic A4
Crosman 1322 medalist
Hawthorne Montgomery Ward m-150
Kel-Tec PMR-30
I.B.QB-57
Crosman TrapMaster 1100
Baikal mp-651K
EKOL ES-66
Anics A-3000
Crosman 38T

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:03 pm 

i got mine from Baikal Canada in Feb 2018 but now i don't see a MSRP $ and the 'buy now' is a dead link...

http://www.baikalcanada.com/air_pistols_mp651k.htm

might be worth a call to them from the CONTACT INFO button. (?)

one of the funnest parts of this gun is the russian language owner's manual.