Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:46 pm 

As requested:

And then my camera battery died when I was taking profile shots :cry:

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:04 pm 

That's about the simplest design I've seen. Thanks for posting that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:05 pm 

The "KISS" principle for sure. Thanks for posting these shots. I had the pdf pics, but yours filled in the gaps.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:34 pm 

simple enough now i need a full 1/8"x6" steel plate and a couple of hardware and i'm ready to build a couple of prototypes i'll have some ready for the spring match .

dasy 953 , ncstar 3-9x42 compact
crosman mk1
crosman quest 500x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:46 pm 

Thanks DHB.

Not exactly what I thought it would look like. Very interesting, and more along the line of early FT target concepts in the 80's. But if they work well...simple is better.

So...are you up for some testing on these targets?

If so, do you have a air rifle that produces 18-20 fpe at the muzzle? If you do, take the target and set it up at 10 yards from the muzzle of the gun. Shoot at the face plate of the target. Different places on the face plate, and see if the face hits cause it to false fall.

Second test, if you have a pistol or air rifle that shoots .177 average weight pellets around 400fps, shot into the kill zone point blank, and see if the target falls over. You may want to wear glasses.

These two test will determine how fit the targets are for competition. Likely they will fall with the low power, but if they false fall with the 18-20 foot pounds energy gun at 10 yards, you will want to place them out at a longer distance and use a more reliable target up close.

All part of the fun of FT. I would do this testing myself if I have one to test one. But all match director need to do such testing eventually.

Thanks for the photos, and thanks for sharing your test results if you are up to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:02 pm 

I'm up for some more systematic testing. Last shoot they were dropping with KZ hits just under 4ft-lb and not falling with face plate hits at 15ft-lb. I don't have a more powerful airgun. Hmmm, how could I fix that...
:twisted:

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:06 pm 

dhb: if you want help testing I think I could come up with a "controlled" environement for you (I really mean "us") to use!

Air Arms FTP900
Air Arms TX200 MK III
CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:15 pm 

BJP wrote:
dhb: if you want help testing I think I could come up with a "controlled" environement for you (I really mean "us") to use!

is'nt that black hawk pushing around 20 fpe

dasy 953 , ncstar 3-9x42 compact
crosman mk1
crosman quest 500x

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:52 pm 

poil27 wrote:
is'nt that black hawk pushing around 20 fpe

It's doing 880 with 8.49 grain pellets so 14.60ft-lb.

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:04 pm 

idontknowjack wrote:
That's about the simplest design I've seen.

Maybe too simple. What's to stop the target from falling if you split a pellet? There is no linkage that locks the face plate and nothing from stopping a piece of a pellet from taking down the paddle?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:09 pm 

windbag wrote:
idontknowjack wrote:

Maybe too simple. What's to stop the target from falling if you split a pellet? There is no linkage that locks the face plate and nothing from stopping a piece of a pellet from taking down the paddle?

LOL, where were those pieces when I was peppering the faceplate's edge of the KZ today?!? We'll do some testing...

CFSC/CRFSC Instructor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:22 pm 

windbag wrote:
idontknowjack wrote:

If a big enough piece hits the KZ with enough force it would knock down any FT. Would probably just need a stronger torsion spring in the bottom to hold them tighter together to stop the small/low FPE pieces from knocking it over.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:25 pm 

You could try hitting it with 15fpe point blank at different locations on the face plate. That would let you know. Definitely wear glasses for that test as you will feel some lead debris. Generally 20fpe will be around 18fpe at 10yards.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:40 am 

windbag wrote:
idontknowjack wrote:

The targets that I have that have a similar system to hold the top of the paddle really lock tight when the faceplate is hit and do not go down with splits. With the adjustment on these targets, hopefully they are the same.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 am 

In my experience the friction-lock targets (such as the AA ones) can be more problematic, than the Gamo style. I remember we had a mix at the FT club, and could never get the friction-lock targets operating reliably. They usually dropped to easily, or wouldn't stay up when the reset string was pulled. Having said that, Air Arms is know for quality stuff, so maybe that is the key?