Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Webley Alecto .22
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:34 pm 

Well I've finally have fired roughly 2000 rounds threw this pistol now and I have become pretty comfortable shooting it. So I figured I'd start a review on this model and share some experiences that I have had.

During this review I'm going to do multiple threads on each specific topic, just to make things easier on me. This review make take awhile to finish since I learn something new every time I shoot this pistol.

My set up is this, OEM set up pistol shooting JSB Jumbo RS pellets and RWS Meisters. All of my shooting has been indoors at roughly 25ft, using one pump with OEM sights.

Topics will be the following; general feel and design quality, ease of use and operation, trigger, barrel, sights, odd problems, valve adjustment. Velocities will come but for now I don't have proper lighting for the crony.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

Post subject: Re: Webley Alecto .22
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:49 pm 

Knappr wrote:
Well I've finally have fired roughly 2000 rounds threw this pistol now and I have become pretty comfortable shooting it. So I figured I'd start a review on this model and share some experiences that I have had.

During this review I'm going to do multiple threads on each specific topic, just to make things easier on me. This review make take awhile to finish since I learn something new every time I shoot this pistol.

My set up is this, OEM set up pistol shooting JSB Jumbo RS pellets and RWS Meisters. All of my shooting has been indoors at roughly 25ft, using one pump with OEM sights.

Topics will be the following; general feel and design quality, ease of use and operation, trigger, barrel, sights, odd problems, valve adjustment. Velocities will come but for now I don't have proper lighting for the crony.

please keep the posts in this thread. Makes searching info cleaner for everyone.

Look forward to your entries :)
Love mine and may have comments to add along the way.

Walter....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:22 pm 

Appreciate all help I can get! All of my review will be in this thread but multiple posts.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:47 pm 

General feel and design quality

At first glance this pistol is a mix of target with a hint of tactical twist, with abilities to use laser, flashlights and small scopes.

The OEM iron sights seem to be quality made with easy adjustment , the front sight has multiple post which can be flipped with your thumb. The manual states the one post is for 10m while the other is for 25m shooting, I prefer the smaller (25m) one, for some reason I shoot tighter groups at 25ft but I run out of elevation adjustment using the sights in this way.

The pistol seems pretty well balanced (no accessories) and feels at home in your hand thanks to the target style grip. Within the grip are two cap screw that adjust the travel and weight of the trigger, the manual is a little contradictive when it comes to adjusting the trigger travel so read your manual. The grip is textured for increased grip and has an adjustable shelf to help the user with consistent holding.

Not your pocket air pistol, this baby must be the size of a real dessert eagle pistol but without the weight.

This pistol is a over lever pumper, with an internal metal reinforcement to help protect the synthetic exterior from the trama it takes when its pumped. The manual states not to pump more then 3 times or damage will occur, so I'm not pushing my luck until I learn more. And it takes some serious elbow grease to complete the 2nd and 3rd strokes with this pumper.

Great feature, it doesn't cost you a lot of money to have some serious fun. This pistol plays great with paper targets but also has the power for pesting, it has the ability to do what many air rifles have.

The sound of this pistol varies depending on how many times you pump it. One pump (perfect for plinking) has a light sound, while three pumps has a sharp loud Sound. Goes to show the flexibility of this pumper, velocity control in only three pumps. Another great feature, I never noticed at first glance!

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:07 pm 

Ease of use and operation

The Alecto is very simple to operate, very user friendly. First thing I really like about this pistol is the automatic safety and the location is perfect, right in front of the trigger. Nice design for pistols, set up with hair triggers. The safety lever engages as soon as the pistol is opened for pumping and loading, and is effortless to disengage. Another great feature!

To pump this gun the operator must first raise two levers, located on the rear end of the slide one on each side underneath the rear sight. Once disengaged the top section it then can be drawn up and forward, pivoting at the muzzle becoming the pump handle.So be careful here, you sights are mounted on that handle. Also be gentle when drawing the pump open this action can put unwanted stresses on the front pivot and the pump. I tend to pull it open using a very low grab, closer to the front sight. While closing I tend to keep my hand just in front of the rear sight. After the first few hours shooting this gun, I noticed the shelf on the grip was moving. Finally realized I was putting pressure on it when I was pulling the pump handle to the open position, not good! Watch your hands don't get pinched when the action slams closed, and watch your clothes they get caught to.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:37 am 

Trigger

The Alecto has pretty good trigger for what this pistol costs! The trigger has four possible adjustments and these adjustments are fairly easy to get at, two adjustments are on the trigger while the other two are located on the grip. The two adjustment on the trigger adjust 1) trigger rotation 2) trigger distance (roughly 1/4in), nice options! The two adjustments in the grip adjust trigger travel and weight,

Like I said before the manual states not to adjust the trigger travel from OEM setting, any adjustment could either stop the pistol from firing or possible fire as soon as the gun gets slammed closed. This area is where I'm having interesting experiences! I made some adjustments reducing the travel, and yes it has led me to some problem. Many times I've load the gun and it would not fire, unfortunately I forget to figure out where the OEM was set. I had adjusted the trigger awhile ago and it was firing great, got about 500 rounds then it started to act up again. Got it smoothed out but it still has problems locking the sear at times, kind of stuck with this problem at the moment!

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:05 pm 

Barrel

The barrel has estimated length of 7 1/8 inches and seem to be pretty good for the value of this pistol. It's a steel barrel with a rough exterior finish, which is no big deal since the barrel is only visible when open. The muzzle seems to have a fairly descent crown quality to it and chamber end has a nice bevel for loading a pellet. It's mounted in the pistol by a clamp type setup, which does the trick.

On the downer side of things, I find the chamber a hair loose. I have shoot three different brand pellets out of this gun and on average most pellets fit loose, or not as tight as I like. I personally feel the chamber should have a tighter fit, since this pistol will be used in the field. There is a reason you load the pellet on your last up-stroke, pellets can fallout during the pumping process.I have had issues with pellets falling out, but only when the sear won't engage which leads me to opening and closing the pump until I have weight at the trigger.if the upper part of the pistol won't seat properly to the lower half more than likely the pellet skirt has been squished between the barrel and air mechanism. If you insert a pellet that seems loose it no big deal, just keep the barrel close to the vertical position and bring the lower half up to it let gravity be your friend.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:48 pm 

Good ongoing review Knappr. Keep it coming.

I really like my Alecto .22 Very accurate at 10m.
Have had since it come out, must be over 2 years by now. No problems.
I have fiddled with the valve and these are the most stable results obtained:
Using RWS Hobby pellets .22 11.9gr

1 Pump average 381.28 ft/s
2 Pumps average 457.66 ft/s
3 Pumps average 488.66 ft/s

Good results for me!

My Baical IZH46M using RWS R10 Match .177 8.5grs shoots at 425.10 average.

Naturally these values vary day to day with humidity, temperature etc.

Air Pistols: Baikal IZH46M; Webley Alecto .22; Umarex Beretta 92FS; Umarex Colt 1911A1;

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:12 pm 

I love my Alecto in .22. It is an accurate, powerful pistol. It is not cheap by any means, but it a great quality pistol. I got one of the new units with the black internals (not polished metal). I was told that there further differences to the internals than just color change. Apparently there were some minor changes made to this model in order to protect it from over pumping. I was told that there was a change made to the relief valve or an additional relies added.

On my gun, when adjusting the valve, the unit does not achieve the highest FPS when the valve is completely closed (at least not up to 3 pumps). So far I'm finding that valve adjustment had a sweet spot such that it needs to be set just right (not all the way in).

My Chrony numbers are as follows with a crosman hollow point premier pellets (14.3 grain).

1 pump (275 to 285 fps).
2 pumps (390 to 400 fps)
3 pumps (460 to 470 fps).

Overall I'm very happy with this gun as it is a lot of fun to shoot and its accuracy is great. The only thing that I don't necessarily like about it is its overall bulkiness and thickness of the hand grip. However, it does look the part. One of my friends calls it the ROBOCOP gun. It does have that bulk and look to it.

Last edited by Talontsi96 on Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:36 pm 

Odd problems/ valve adjustment

Adjusting the valve on this pistol in no big job, but beware that velocities will start to vary (increase). With .22cal model doesn't appear the pistol with break the 500fps law, so don't worry. But if you own the .177 cal be cautious, this could put you in the "prohibited" laws here in Canada.

Tonight I encountered a wee bit of a problem! I decided to remove the air mechanism from the lower housing to see if a little grease would reduce the trigger engagement issues I've been experiencing. I removed the clip and removed the main rear pin, then I put some grease on the sear faces and reassembled it. Went to my range inserted a pellet after the first up stroke then closed it, aimed a squeezed the trigger. Nothing happened! Opened it and closed it a few times but still no trigger weight.....grrrr! After an hour of disassembly and investigating I found something not right, the sear spring was just spinning it had no tension. Once I realized that each part of the sear mechanism had little tabs, I figured they must have been for locking tension into the spring. BANG, it worked! So let this be a lesson for others, when removing the air system from the lower housing make sure that spring is not disturbed.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:46 pm 

I would never want to be without my Alecto 22, one of my favorite pistols. Shoots fast (just under the 500fps magic number) and accurate. I changed out the stock .177 barrel it came with, and replaced it with a .22 barrel double the length. With a Red Dot on top she will hit what I want out to about 40 paces.

Lately I have had a problem surface that so far has gone unsolved. Load her up (3 pumps) and put in a pellet. Take off the safety and squeeze the trigger-----NOTHING happens. But when I open the top to check on things....BANG, off she goes. This don't happen on every shot, but enough to make me concerned. This is not good in my opinion so if anyone has a solution I am all ears.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:38 am 

bluemoon wrote:
I would never want to be without my Alecto 22, one of my favorite pistols. Shoots fast (just under the 500fps magic number) and accurate. I changed out the stock .177 barrel it came with, and replaced it with a .22 barrel double the length. With a Red Dot on top she will hit what I want out to about 40 paces.

Lately I have had a problem surface that so far has gone unsolved. Load her up (3 pumps) and put in a pellet. Take off the safety and squeeze the trigger-----NOTHING happens. But when I open the top to check on things....BANG, off she goes. This don't happen on every shot, but enough to make me concerned. This is not good in my opinion so if anyone has a solution I am all ears.

Trigger adjusted too far?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:19 pm 

"Trigger adjusted too far?"

I have thought of that but I have never even touched the trigger adjustments. Now that the weather has warmed up here I will be able to get out to try things out. You may have the answer here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:21 pm 

sear spring slip out of place?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:45 pm 

"sear spring slip out of place?"
It only does this once in a while. I can shoot most of the evening, maybe 40 or 50 shots, then suddenly it happens. I expect it to happen every shot as a precaution but it doesn't. I will have to take it apart and check that sear.

Walter, if you still want that QB78D stock, it is ready for you as the new one is up and running. Let me know through PM if that is ok with you. Thanks for the help.