Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:49 am 

this might be a old topic but i just didn't find any clear answer for that. i live in coquitlam, bc. i own the house. may i shoot non-pal airgun in the backyard then? do i have to go to a club range to shoot a 400 fps pellet pistol? how about a BB gun then? such as Daisy RedRyder 350fps. it's a toy to me from any ways. i won't take it to the range! or i could only play it indoor?

anybody in this area?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:52 am 

you have to shoot out of city limits even using a non-pal rifle/pistol.

Blackhawk w/6x32 bugbuster
PRO77 ~ Rebuilt
M4177 TAC (4x32 scope, Laser sight, Flashlight)
Steel storm SMG
MP5 k-PDW SMG TAC (Shoulder strap & 1x30 RDS)
357-Six with custom wood grips
C31
GSG92 - Stripped & Polished

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:17 am 

M4177 wrote:
you have to shoot out of city limits even using a non-pal rifle/pistol.

Actually that statement is too generalized. Every community & province have their own laws & restrictions.

In my small town (less than 5,000 people) I asked the local town office and learned that they had no bylaws. And I was actually told by an RCMP officer that I could shoot in my own backyard. (http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic43805.html) Actually I think he was telling me to. :?

Now he made no clarification as to PAL and non-PAL but common sense says you don't shoot a PAL rated airgun in anybody's backyard.

So my advice powerball is to approach an RCMP officer in your area (withing the airgun in your hand) and ask them if its legal to shoot on your property. If they are okay with it then get yourself a good backdrop behind the targets and blast away. And be respectful of your neighbors. Good neighbors make good fences.

One last thing, I believe that BB's will ricochet more easily than pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:43 am 

However, walk, don't run up to that RCMP officer..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:12 am 

If you walk up to a police officer with a handgun you should have it in a case and unloaded. Or else hold it high in the air and walk backwards toward them while loudly telling them you are coming peacefully. :) The proper thing would be to go to the town hall and ask about local restrictions as the police only enforce regulations and try to keep peace in the community so the police may have personal ideas that conflict with the actual bylaws.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 am 

Yes, talk to your town/city hall, not the RCMP.
Police inforce the law...they don't always know the exact interpretations of all the various laws.
If a police officer mistakenly tells you the you can shoot your gun in the backyard, and the law states otherwise, you'll be in a whole lot of trouble if someone complains and a police officer who actually knows the law shows up.
In court "he told me I could do it" don't hold up worth squat!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:50 am 

bobtodrick wrote:
Police inforce the law...they don't always know the exact interpretations of all the various laws.
If a police officer mistakenly tells you the you can shoot your gun in the backyard, and the law states otherwise, you'll be in a whole lot of trouble if someone complains and a police officer who actually knows the law shows up.

Thanks for pointing out that fact for us bobtodrick.

Luckily when encountered the RCMP officer he didn't have his weapon drawn even though I clearly still had mine in my hands. He recognized my weapon as an air rifle and didn't tell me to put it down. If I had been shooting with my SIG Sauer pistol that day the outcome could have been different.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:56 am 

Not in my area.. and that means going for a long drive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:32 pm 

Sdot wrote:
However, walk, don't run up to that RCMP officer..

you made your point :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:50 pm 

bobtodrick wrote:

thanks alot for your advice. that's a great point. i'v seared city's website for by-laws. i didn't find anything about airguns. the firearm control mentioned thousands times about firearms. cross bow and 500+ fps airgun are firearms, but anything under 500 fps is not firearm, right? thought it's a very clear definition. i m also concerning about archery. i bought my son a toy bow at about 8lbs....can he play it in my backyard? if it's also restricted.........what kind of real world we are living :butthead:

i'll talk to some guy in the city hall someday, since i found nothing from the website.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:06 pm 

When I lived in Virginia in the 1980's I phoned the Commonwealth's Attorney and asked about concealed carry. He sent me a copy of the regulations.

It was fascinating reading. Among the odd things banned was a slingshot. Dennis the Menace would be in big trouble in Virginia. I think they have changed a lot of the laws in the last few years. Many of those old laws were not intended to be enforced except when they wanted to get someone.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:17 pm 

when i called my local police detachment and spoke with an information officer, he had stated it had to be out of city limits.
I also called the City of Kamloops and he had pretty much confirmed the same and told me how far out i had to go before these limits were reached.

as for the statement of bringing the air rifle/pistol to the detachment...i wouldnt be walking into their HQ with one!
better off just making calls to your offices.

PRO77 ~ Rebuilt
Steel storm SMG
C31

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:38 pm 

M4177 wrote
Quote:
better off just making calls to your offices.

I guess it is even better to go to the webpage of your city and find all the by-laws in a pdf format. Just for fun, it took me about 1 minute to get the CITY OF KAMLOOPS BY-LAW NO. 24-13 BEING A BY-LAW TO PROHIBIT THE DISCHARGING OF FIREARMS. The advantage is such that you can save them to your computer for a future reference. By the way, I think that there is no city in Canada that allows discharge of firearms including airguns within the corporate limits of a particular city. Correct me if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:45 pm 

Hey, how about lawn darts?

LOL :lol: .....they can't be all that bad, I survived playing with them

Do you realize that even if you could buy them they're actually illegal in Canada?
http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/pre-2007/mp30/garage_sales.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:08 pm 

haha!
i watched an episode of 1000 ways to die whereas a retard from the 70's-80's? took one to the skull and
fell to his gravesite using lawndarts

PRO77 ~ Rebuilt
Steel storm SMG
C31