Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:37 am 

Anyone else have one of these or the similar GSG 92 which has the BB's and CO2 in a magazine together. I can never leave the CO2 in a magazine even for a couple hours without it running out. All the manuals warn against overtightening the screw with the allen key so I haven't tried cranking it really, really tight.

If I use it up in 30 minutes I can get three Mags (almost 60 shots) before CO2 is out, but if I put it down for a couple hours the CO2 is all but gone when I come back.

I have been putting a drop on pellgun oil on the CO2 powerlet before tightening in the magazine.

Anything else I should try?

Aside from the leaky CO2 issue with the pistol, I love everything else about it: look, feel, trigger, excellent blowback effect, strip down, weight, magazine dropout, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:50 am 

When you say " if I put it down for a couple hours the CO2 is all but gone when I come back" do you leave the mag in the pistol or do you take it out?
I found that in another gun I had before I got these that if I let the mag containing the CO2 in the pistol just the weight of the hammer was enough to empty the CO2 powerlet, let the mag out for over a week, no gas leak.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:00 am 

I always take the magazine out and store it separately (for safety reasons).

How tight do you to tighten the nut for the CO2 in the magazine?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:26 am 

On another type of gun Ifound the O ring that the neck butts up against had a hairline crack.
Hutch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:56 pm 

Kind of difficult to check the o ring as it's completely inside the mag and it looks like a special tool of some kind is needed to disassemble that end of the magazine.

I've been using crossman CO2 powerlets excusively so far (about 20 since I got the pistol). Is there a lot of difference between brands. I saw canadian tire had a pretty decently priced box of 25 CO2 for $19 - but the brand was "JT" who I've never heard of before? Am I likely to get a better seal with a brand other than crossman (which seems to be the most commonly available brand in Edmonton, AB)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:37 am 

I find the JT brand are fine and will probably give you a better seal because the neck has a narrower shape.
Hutch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:30 pm 

Looks like there may be some metal flakes around the co2 piercing nozzle. how to get in there to clean it?

Attachments:
File comment: Looks like there may be some metal flakes around the co2 piercing nozzle. how to get in there to clean it?
tool need to open mag seals.JPG
tool need to open mag seals.JPG [ 57.53 KiB | Viewed 5267 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:04 pm 

To answer my own enquiry, I bought a realy big flat head screwdriver then used a dremel on it to cut out almost half an inch of the blade.

/U\
\ /
| |

The screwdriver end looked like that when I was done.

took it all apart, washed everything with a spary bottle of 3-in-1 silicone oil and put it back together. With the CO2 and retaining screw tighted as much as possible, no leaks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:29 am 

I have one of those SIG's but I haven't done enough shooting with it to experience the problems you've reported. Thanks for posting your question and the solution for it. Now when I do encounter the problem I'll have the solution.

As a footnote, this fall I did experience a similar problem with my SIG. The valve within the magazine would freeze open and all the CO2 would leak out. This wasn't because of dirt but because of the ambient air temperature (about forty degrees). So I'll have to wait until spring or summer to shoot my CO2 airguns.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:07 pm 

Purchased a second magazine for it, and the new one leaked even worse than my original. It was a faint but audible hiss. So I loaded up and shot off 18 rounds and another 18 rounds until it was out. I found this magazine seemed to have the the problem where it would freeze and stick open.

When it freezes open, the hissing noise is a bit louder and the gas is leaking faster. I took the mag out of the pistol, shook it, tapped, shook it again, tapped the valve and so on. Once while doing that it loosened a chunk of what I assume was dry ice. The chunk turned into a tiny cloud immediately. after that the leak was almost stopped. But it was back again on the next CO2 cartridge I used.

I'm taking it apart and doing the full silicone lube on it to see if that helps.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 am 

The disassembly + 3in1 silicone oil wash and re-tigthening has totally fixed both magazines. It's been a month with no more fast or slow leaks in either magazine.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:26 am 

I have the exact same problem with my gsg 92. Maybe you could do a quick how to write up on it. How hard was it to take the mag apart and do u take the valve apart? I am gonna take a look at mine this afternoon

Daisy Red Ryder 70th edition
Crosman 357w .177
Crosman 1088 .177
GSG 92 Full auto mod
Walther ppk/s
Umarex SA177
Umarex H & K MP5

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:50 pm 

I'm having a similar prob with my new P226 X-Five. But a little different. I've shot about 3-5 full magazines with it. Now it will jam, or the slide will fail to blowback all the way, then if I clear the jam, and fire again, the slide gets pushed back halfway - and all of the CO2 releases through the eject port, and the barrel.

Did some reading, and the issues are likely due to a leaky mag. Can you tell me exactly how you disassembled the mag and cleaned/lubed it?

I was going to send the whole thing back to the mfg, but the shipping to/from the US from Toronto doesn't really seem worth it. And unfortunately the airgun store I purchased from has zero after support - and points to the mfg for all issues.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:27 pm 

Quote:
digitaloutlaw wrote
I'm having a similar prob with my new P226 X-Five. But a little different. I've shot about 3-5 full magazines with it. Now it will jam, or the slide will fail to blowback all the way, then if I clear the jam, and fire again, the slide gets pushed back halfway - and all of the CO2 releases through the eject port, and the barrel.
Did some reading, and the issues are likely due to a leaky mag. Can you tell me exactly how you disassembled the mag and cleaned/lubed it?
I was going to send the whole thing back to the mfg, but the shipping to/from the US from Toronto doesn't really seem worth it. And unfortunately the airgun store I purchased from has zero after support - and points to the mfg for all issues.

First of all check if there is any debris/metal sitting on the piercing valve. If not then try to put a few drops of Pellgunoil onto the piercing valve o-ring deep in the mag compartment. Wait a few minutes and then put a drop of Pellgunoil on the tip of the CO2 cartridge and install the cartridge properly in the mag. Check with soap bubbles if there is any leak.
If it is still there then most likely either the internal piercing valve (at the end of the cartridge compartment) or the release valve, the one external at the top of the mag, is not completely tighten in. These valves are relatively easy for re-tightening or removal. You just need a special tool like sort of “split screwdriver” of the appropriate size. Look at the valve and you’ll see what I mean. There is also a drawing in the post before yours. You can buy those “split screwdrivers”. I bought a couple of them in a local hardware store and they are good for most of my mags. There is no problem with getting access to the external CO2 release mag. However, the cartridge compartment is very deep and there is not much access to the piercing valve. Then you have to unscrew the two small screws from the bottom plate of the mag and remove the follower and spring. But carefully, don’t lose the parts! Then you have to remove the BB loading lips at the top of the mag. To do it, you have to drive out a small steel pin that keeps the mag lips in place.
Alternatively, you can try the method shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUb-4jLgI9E

By the way, don't load more than 15 BBs into the mag to avoid jamming.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:49 pm 

For removing assemblies I could find either split drivers or large enough ones for the ones I was trying to open so I modified deep 1/4 inch drive sockets of different sizes as I require them. They work on the driver handle or the ratchet.
Also I found I needed to pay attention the slope of the tips of the 2 "prongs" as they typically slop into the center. Once that is matched these things dig in and turn beautifully.

http://plinkercases.ca/