Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 pm 

I'm curious to see if anybody would like to do some sort of a speed shooting competition using a shot timer.

What I'm thinking is an 8.5"x11" paper with 15 one inch targets.

We would specifiy how far the shooter needs to be.

Max 15 rounds in the magazine

We would have to come up with a scoring system where both accuracy and time are factors.

We could even setup rules/restrictions for different classes of airguns.

Surefire makes a great shot timer app (free).

Anyone interested? It could be fun!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 pm 

I forgot to mention that this would be done wherever you usually shoot. We would just compare scores online.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:44 am 

Speed shooting - as in for bb guns
Or for any type of air guns
What about caliber
It does sound interesting

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:26 am 

I haven't really thought it through. Perhaps we could separate it into different categories.

We'd probably want to separate the repeaters from the single shots.

The starting position could be pistol in hand and lowered. Set the timer to random start.

We would also need some sort of a scoring system.

Hopefully, we can generate enough interest so we can get ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:57 pm 

Well many airguns are Single shot,5 shot or 10 shot.So maybe a 5 shot speed shoot and a 10 shot shoot,even a single shot how many in a minute.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:35 pm 

topher1266 wrote:
Well many airguns are Single shot,5 shot or 10 shot.So maybe a 5 shot speed shoot and a 10 shot shoot,even a single shot how many in a minute.

I'm trying to figure out a formula to calculate scoring right now...

[ (# of hits on target) X 1 pt ] / time ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:03 pm 

:D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:16 pm 

Something else for me to be lousy at. Think I'll pass . . . . :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:44 am 

I'm thinking speed shooting is not about tack driving accuracy, it's either a hit or a miss versus the clock. So how fast can you hit the targets. Hanging pop can on a string from a tree or some type device is a blast! I love my 686 for this type of airgunning. When you hit a hanging can, they usually have noticeable reaction and or make a noticeable sound on impact.

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:06 am 

Bloodstriker wrote:
I'm curious to see if anybody would like to do some sort of a speed shooting competition using a shot timer.

What I'm thinking is an 8.5"x11" paper with 15 one inch targets.

We would specifiy how far the shooter needs to be.

Max 15 rounds in the magazine

We would have to come up with a scoring system where both accuracy and time are factors.

We could even setup rules/restrictions for different classes of airguns.

Surefire makes a great shot timer app (free).

Anyone interested? It could be fun!

This is a great idea! I might finally stop regretting buying a BB gun :)

We should try and work this out. The only downside that springs to mind is that trying to fire off 15 as fast as possible is really going to blow through the CO2. Maybe we can do groups of 5 or 6 instead, which would also open things up for revolvers too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:08 am 

Couldn't resist giving this a go. I used some 10m air rifle targets that I already had printed, so 1" is to the 5 ring. Shooting from 18 feet (I have a 6 yard marker already set up) with a Sig p226 I found the 1" target really tough. We might want to use something bigger!

I used the free "Shot Timer" app for android which seemed to work well once I found a reasonable threshold value. I got caught out with the calibrate function because the first shot in each series from the sig is much louder than the rest, so the calibration level only registered the first shot. I set a threshold about 4 points lower and things seem to work better.

Using 1 point/target divided by time in seconds gives tediously small numbers, so even though it's not really a percentage I reckon it will be easier to work with if we multiply by 100 and round to the nearest whole number. I shot in sets of 5, shooting down a column of targets and got

1/29.1 (3) 0/25.9 (0), 1/43.8 (2)

And one more go for luck: 2/34 (6)

So yeah, I suck. :)

But good fun though, I think this is definitely a workable idea.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:31 am 

Ugh, just when I was getting my air gun purchases under control, it occurs to me that a CP88 would be neat for this

http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... ition.html

But then again, a Brocock super six would kick buttock

http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdo ... l-177.html

Must resist...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:49 am 

Thought I'd try it with my p17 for a laugh. No problem hitting 1" targets from 6 yards with a p17, so hit all 5 in the column, but the 129 seconds it took me to do it means I still only get 5/129*100= 4 points. That brocock looks nicer all the time :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:01 am 

Ritz crackers would be a good choice for something to shoot at......round and a challenging size. You just have to find someone to hold them twix their digits.............I know, Loser holds!!! lol............sorry, I do like the idea as I'm working on a kind of "gallery" idea for myself.........Thumper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:08 pm 

I enjoyed this enough last time to have another go. I looked up the size of the targets for 25m rapid fire, and scaled to 6 yards they would come out just over 4". Now that sounds more like it! My first thought was to print up 5 of those in a line, but then I realised I'd have to make a new backstop as mine isn't wide enough. So I looked at the targets I already had printed up. I have sets of 5 10m AP targets printed to the 5 ring, and those come out to about 3 1/2 inches - good enough for now :)

Attachment:
File comment: 10m AP printed to the 5 ring x 5
10m-to5-x5-300dpi-correct.jpeg
10m-to5-x5-300dpi-correct.jpeg [ 432.02 KiB | Viewed 1203 times ]

It should print out to 8x8 inches (odd size I know, but it meant I could print 4 copies across a 24" printer).

Scoring is a bit odd since it starts at 5 and I just score a 0 outside of that rather than try and guess but whatever. Shooting 5 rounds and using Shot Timer to get the times again. Scores obviously come out higher because each shot has a potential of 10 points instead of just 1, but it still seems to be worth multiplying by 100 to get easier to handle numbers (ie points is score*100/time). Here are my last three runs:

37/24s = 154 points
43/27s = 159 points
41/23s = 178 points

Still shooting way slower than the rapid fire times, but it's great fun, and really interesting trying to work out the trade off between speed and accuracy. It would be great if someone else could have a go and compare scores :)