Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:17 pm 

These are just my first impression of the tool. http://nomad-pelletmaker.weebly.com/

This is the newest version that comes in 2 parts. You cast blanks in a 5 piece mold and then swage them into final shape with a 2nd tool.

The outside of the blank mold is a little rough but the swager is more finely finished.

The swager comes in 5 parts. The piece that shapes the nose of the pellet can be taken out and is what pushed the finished pellet out.

I noticed when making my pellets that they do not have the rim around the skirt like the pellets that he shows on his website so I will be sending him a message about it. I also noticed that in his videos he hammers, trims, hammers, trims and done. I had to do that process 3-4 times because the amount of lead that is pushed out needs to be cut off or it gets stuck and the closer it gets the less room there is for lead. The defects in the noses are due to it being quite cold out and the lead did not fill the mold up properly.

I should have a couple groups tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:30 pm 

does the pellets receve all the same presure when they pass in the die '' swaged'' ?

i saw in an other forum a very tight group out to 50 yards with that simples komd of pellets

but i imagin they work better at good speed ,

target man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:26 am 

That would depend on if you can swing the hammer with the same amount of force or not. The blank? is put in the swager and the top pin part is hammered on. It pushes the lead into the swager and forces excess lead out while making the cavity in the back of the pellet.

Since the top pin can only travel to the same point every time, every pellet should in theory be exactly the same.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:24 pm 

Very cool - thanks for reporting back. Please keep us posted about how they perform.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:35 pm 

Here is a 5 shot group @ 10 yards shot with my sub 500 FPS Brocock Concept. They shot 2 inches (exactly) lower than JSB 15.9s. They fully engaged the rifling in my barrel.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:34 pm 

nice riflinf ,it seem you have use good lead ,,

do you know how much they weigth ???

i think if it be possible to had a hand grip it be easyer to use it ,

target man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:41 pm 

target man wrote:
nice riflinf ,it seem you have use good lead ,,

do you know how much they weigth ???

i think if it be possible to had a hand grip it be easyer to use it ,

target man

I believe they should weight 21 grains. I used a few tins of recovered JSB pellets with a tin or so of Crosman premiers so it should be good lead :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:46 pm 

if ever you have chance to use some cheap daisy pellets ,
they are one of the purest lead
97% if i remember,,

terget man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm 

I sent some to Plasticman for testing and he sent me these results. 1.5 grams is about 23 grains!

Plasticman wrote:
Did a bit of testing
Weebly Pellets 1.5 grams very consistant Weight.
JSB jumbo exacts i.0 grams
RWS Hobbies O.8 grams
Shot with my Alecto 13 inch barrel three pumps
JSB's 456 average
Weebly's 367 average
Phantom Nitro Piston
JSB'S 626 average
Weebly's 491 average
I measured a half dozen weeblys and found them constant in diameter almost perfect. They are larger than the JSB'S by about 1000th of an inch and I think that is why the low velositys
I am going to a shoot in Calgary second week in Feb and I saved some to try there for accuracy..If we can set up a crony there I will see if I can get one of the guys with a condor to see what they do on HPA.
At least I can show off your pellets to a bunch of avid air gunners.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:24 pm 

Alright, finally got a caliper in. I am not sure if the steel of the die has flared slightly or not but these pellets seem to flare out quite a bit at the skirt now.

Here are the minimum and maximums I encountered on average.
Skirt width on average: 0.218-.19"/5.53-.60mm
Head width just before round part: 0.212-.13"/5.38-.41mm
Length: 0.279-.80"/7.08-.11mm

So these pellets will be very tight in most guns.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 am 

averagejoe wrote:
Alright, finally got a caliper in. I am not sure if the steel of the die has flared slightly or not but these pellets seem to flare out quite a bit at the skirt now.

Is that blank mold made of CRS?

Very cool idea in any case 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:11 pm 

No idea what it is made of.

The one I received swages fairly big pellets and my barrel is a fair bit smaller so I am thinking of just selling this one. Somebody with a wider barrel or more powerful gun might appreciate it more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 pm 

Hi Averagejoe - just following up on your post about the diameter of the pellets. From your measurements it looks like your pellets are .219" at their widest point, whereas a .22 barrel is supposed to be between .217" and .218". I haven't measured a .22 barrel, but I am surprised that .01"-.02" would make enough difference to significantly slow down a pellet. Having said that, your pic showing the depth of the rifling grooves in the pellet is a bit surprising - it certainly gives the sense of a snug fit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:19 pm 

Well, I noticed a small typo with the conversion on the skirt measurement. It is supposed to be 5.53-5.56mm, not 5.60mm. It might be slightly smaller but if I pushed to hard for a more accurate measurement then I would have crushed the skirt. :| They are still plenty big though I believe you can buy .22 pellets in up to 5.54 to 5.55mm diameter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:23 pm 

Hi
I Bought weebly's MK2 pellet maker. I have the same problem.
Have spoken to Rob who makes the pellet maker. I am sending mine back tommorow to get re-machined with a smaller skirt and down from 22/23 grain to 18 grain approx. I will send pictures and 50 metre grouping's results.
I use a .22 Air Arms prosport.