Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:17 pm 

I have a air rifle and would like to take my kids out target shooting, As I now live in the city(Fredericton, NB) and can not shoot in the woods behind my house like when I was a young, Any one know of a good spot outside a fredericton that is used for that type of thing?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:52 pm 

Why can't you shoot behind your house (especially if it's a wooded area)?
Can you shoot in your garage or basement?

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:34 pm 

City by-law does not allow it. and yard is too open to the public. no garage and I doubt my wife would let me in the house. I am thinking there must be an old lot or sand pit just out of town around here that people use. We even need to register air guns with the city police due to a city by-law.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:21 pm 
Supporting Members

Just out past Regent mall there is a Paint Ball feild in an old sand pit. Or, if you want to drive to Saint John and use my property. My property goes out into a forest and no worries of complaints.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:42 pm 

I wouldn't recommend shooting at a garage. Well, I did the same and I thought it wouldn't damage a lot. But, well, I wasn't quite right. Although, it may depend on what your garage is made of. Now, mine is covered with siding https://idealsiding.com/ca/locations/siding-vancouver/ and I won't shoot again at close proximity to it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:44 pm 

My wife loves me shooting in the house everyday. I used to drive out to the gun club everyday with powder burners and bows to shoot. Now I am always at home shooting pellet guns and bows upstairs. Best thing I ever did was get back into pellet guns after a 40 year layoff. AWWWW!, life is grand when all the kids are married off and moved out of the house. :lol: Maybe your wife won't mind if you do it safe. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:06 am 

boblaw wrote:
City by-law does not allow it. and yard is too open to the public. no garage and I doubt my wife would let me in the house. I am thinking there must be an old lot or sand pit just out of town around here that people use. We even need to register air guns with the city police due to a city by-law.

you have to register your airguns. I never heard of that one before in Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:27 pm 

boblaw wrote:

The city can restrict you from shooting anything it wants to name, within it's boundaries, yes.
The city cannot make you register any gun, air or otherwise.

Firearms laws come under the Federal Government's Jurisdiction - except as noted, as in discharge not allowed within the city, town, municipality
where local governments have 'That" power.

Cities or municipalities do not have the 'power' to make a firearm registration. If they did have the power, how easy would that back-door registration be?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:06 am 

pete wrote:
you have to register your airguns. I never heard of that one before in Canada.

Here in Quebec, we MUST register our guns... maybe not anything under 500 fps not requiring a PAL, but anything else must be registered. After Canada got rid of the gun registry, Quebec started their own. SIGH

It's a real pain in the butt!

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:12 pm 

The small town I live in has a bylaw that is specific for air rifles so I guess I can shoot my pistols outside but most of my rifles and pistols I can shoot down my basement. I really think when they created the bylaw many years ago they meant all air guns so I don't want to attract to much attention shooting pistols outside. Wow Mtl_Biker, had no idea that was law in Quebec. I'm kinda new to the sport so when the Federal gun registration was implemented a few years back did over 500 FPS air guns have to be registered as well?

Benjamin Sheridan 397P

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:03 am 

Rocket wrote:
I'm kinda new to the sport so when the Federal gun registration was implemented a few years back did over 500 FPS air guns have to be registered as well?

I'm not sure about that. But I know that I'd never registered air rifles in those days. But you do (and did) have to have a PAL in order to purchase an airgun shooting over 500 fps (and a certain foot pounds). Now with the Quebec system you have to register just about everything (again over 500 fps) and from what I've heard on the news, less than half, maybe only a third, of gun owners have not registered. And there's a whole process to go through if you ever sell a gun. It's a real pain in the butt.

There's also been discussion about whether or not a game warden, coming across you hunting somewhere legally, might have the power/desire to check if your guns are registered. I only shoot air, and I'm registered, so it's not really a concern for me other than the annoyance factor of these regulations.

Air Arms S400 MPR FT .177
Steyr EVO 10
Benjamin Sheridan 397P
Stoeger X5 (non-PAL)
Crosman P1377 & P1322

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:47 am 

In Dalhousie the Town council would making owning a water pistol illegal if they could get away with it.They have dozens of firearm bylaws on the books.Not allowed to carry ANY firearm in public,including airguns,pellet,BB or anything that ejects a projectile.Not allowed to carry ANY firearm in your vehicle(unless it's hunting season and there are bylaws governing that too).It's Illegal to carry a knife of ANY kind,including an olfa utility knife.
Homeowners are not allowed to use deadly force if confronted by an intruder that does not appear to brandish a weapon.There was a case some years back during a home invasion,the intruder was struck with a baseball bat.Although the injury was far from life-threatening,he sued the homeowner and WON! That's the kind of laws we have and our rights as a citizen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:56 pm 

Currently in Quebec, only 10% of the firearms that were registered under the previous long-arm Registration law, have been re-registered.

This is from long ago - Jan.

"Quebec's Public Security Ministry says that 311,451 of the province's non-restricted firearms, which include hunting rifles, carbines and other long guns, have been registered so far.

That's up from 294,125 before the holidays, but is still less than 20 per cent of the 1.6 million firearms that were registered in the province when the federal registry was in effect.

Gun dealers, he says, account for a large share of the firearms already registered. He also estimates the number of firearms in
Quebec has risen to about two million since the federal registry was scrapped six years ago."

"Quebec passed a law creating the registry in 2016, giving owners until Jan. 29, 2019 to register firearms or face penalties of up to $5,000.

As of mid-January, owners had registered less than one-quarter of the 1.6 million guns the government estimates are owned by Quebecers."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:29 pm 

1. You could join a gun club
https://www1.gnb.ca/0276/en/shooting_range/index-e.asp

CFB Gagetown used to have a club open to the public

2. Check for Crown Land near by
http://www.snb.ca/GeoNB1/e/map-carte/DNR_cf_E.asp

And also check the regulations, you don't want to get caught "hunting" with the kids and their air-rifle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:48 pm 

Hello guys, sorry to revive an old thread.
I have a rather stupid situation where I wasn't aware of the Quebec law in 2016 (register my air-gun), passed the 2019 deadline and now I am looking to register it.
Short time after purchasing this air-gun (Crosman Venom Dusk .22) back in 2014 or 2015, the gun broke and I kept it in pieces until yesterday when I decided to repair it.
What steps do I need to take and what penalties am I facing in this case?

Thanks for all your answers.

Crosman Venom Dusk .22 (CD8M22NP)
Up to 950 fps with high velocity pellet
Up to 800 fps with standard pellet