Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:20 pm 

Hi Guys
I'm looking to buy a pellet for a new gun of mine. I have been useing the 8.3gr RWS Superdomes for the past few years now. What pellet will be better? I know the JSB Cometa is pretty good, is there anything else I should try?

Thanks
Biagio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:27 pm 

Which new gun?? :D If it is for FT and it's a 12ft/lbs rifle then there is absolutely no question that it will be JSB Exact 8.4 gr. I've blasted through many tins of pellets in the last 10 years to get the best one, and I use AA Field 8.4 (re-badged JSB Exacts) exclusively. Go and look at the World FT stats and you'll see that for FT it is the preferred pellet by a huge margin.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:16 pm 

X2 on the JSB's. I even notice a difference in shooting cheap guns.

http://www.airgunforum.ca/store/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=3cbdqkan2g3g38k6h974ebiei1

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:20 am 

JSB, only and forever.

W.LP53
CZ086
IZh67
IZh46
IZh38
IZh60
MP654k
A.420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:34 am 

My Steyr LG100 grouped the JSB Express 7.87 better than the 8.4. The gun is set at sub 12 ft/lb.

My FWB300 at just under 10 ft/lb loves the Express as well.

I alway shoot groups with the Exact 8.4, the Express 7.87 and the RS at 7.33. The one that shoots the best groups get used. I make sure to do some testing in windy conditions as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:42 am 

JSB's are the only pellets I really use anymore, and believe me; I have gone through a lot of pellets and most of the "non-JSB's" I still have partial tins at least 40-50 different non-JSB pellets...I have never found pellets that perform better than one of the 4 JSB weights; 7.33gr., 7.87gr., 8.4gr. or 10.3gr, usually two of these pellets will perform very well...

I don't believe I own a single gun that shoots anything better than JSB pellets...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:32 am 

x3 or 4...I lost count... on the JSB,s. In .22 cal, the 18.1 gr are the best. All are preferred over any other.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:22 am 

My BT65 .177 Hatsan BL. does very well with JSB Exact 8.4's and JSB Cometa 8.4's and JSB Monster 13.43gr., but best with Crossman Premier Ultra Magnum 10.5gr. RN's 5 into .1" to .2" at 20 yards from a rest. The others shoot .2" to .3" normally.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:31 am 

Another vote for the JSB Exact series in whatever caliber / weight.... I have yet to own a gun where at least one weight of JSBs isn't the most accurate.... I must have over 50 types of pellets, and I test virtually all of the appropriate caliber in every gun I get.... but my stock of "sleeves" of pellets is the JSBs....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:00 pm 

Mac wrote:
My Steyr LG100 grouped the JSB Express 7.87 better than the 8.4. The gun is set at sub 12 ft/lb.

Tim, this got me thinking. I've tried the JSB Express pellets with all of the airguns in .177 that I've owned and they usually grouped slightly worse than the 8.4 grainers. This was for a Weihrauch HW100, Air Arms S400, Air Arms S510, Air Arms TX200, Air Arms EVII, CZ200S, BSA Scorpion T10, Weihrauch HW98 and a few other springers (Mostly Gamo products).

I have however never tried them with my Steyr LG100. Maybe I should check them out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:22 pm 

Old Van wrote:
Mac wrote:

Tim, this got me thinking. I've tried the JSB Express pellets with all of the airguns in .177 that I've owned and they usually grouped slightly worse than the 8.4 grainers. This was for a Weihrauch HW100, Air Arms S400, Air Arms S510, Air Arms TX200, Air Arms EVII, CZ200S, BSA Scorpion T10, Weihrauch HW98 and a few other springers (Mostly Gamo products).

I have however never tried them with my Steyr LG100. Maybe I should check them out.

I shot a Steyr two years back that preferred the 7.33 RS. It was extremely accurate with them. It was one of Allan Z's modified guns that had been tuned down to sub 12 ft/lb and a buddy of mine that had committed to shooting springers for the season asked if I wanted to borrow it. I took him up on his offer and had a good season and in exchange, he got a gun that was all set up, ready to go. I shot the RS at about 845 fps and it did extremely well in the wind. I placed third in the Crosman match on a windy weekend, only two points back from Greg Sauve and Ray Appelles who were tied for first.

I tried the RS pellets in my Steyr and they were a dismal third, behind the 7.87s and 8.4s. You just never know until you try. Don Irvines 12 ft/lb Steyr LG100 groups the 8.4s amazingly well. So I am familiar with three LG100s and they all prefer different pellets, however, all of them are JSB. My TX and the CZ I had both prefer 8.4s as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm 

Ok guys, JSB is what everyone uses. Now do you guys wash your pellets, or do you use them straight out of the can, and what oil do you use to lube those pellets?

Please let me know

Thanks

Biagio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:51 pm 

I shoot all the JSBs right out of the tin.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:13 pm 

Mac wrote:
I shoot all the JSBs right out of the tin.

+1. I tried lubing but it made no difference. There used to be a huge following of "Pledge furniture polish" (for some reason it had to be Lavender :D ) in South Africa, but I didn't see any advantages. Some guys used Q20 which is similar to WD40, and they claimed it kept the bore of the barrel cleaner. I'm however still sceptical.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:04 am 

I put my JSB's in a pan of boiling water to get the crud of them then put clean water in the pan, bring it to the boil and add a capful of Triplewax to the pan. Drain them through a strainer and put them onto Kitchen Towel and let them air dry.

I have absolutely no idea if the pellets fly any better but it works for me :D

DaveD :D

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt