Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Shoebox Max
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:41 am 

I recieved a Shoebox Max about a month ago and decided after nearly 50hrs on the machine to write a review. The Max I have is equipted with hardened rods, cooling fan and belt driven to name a few. After the first 12hrs of use I found I was unable to produce pressure beyond 3200 psi. After a quick tear down of the second piston it was found a nick out of the pressure o-ring. A quick replacing with the supplied o-rings with the unit and I was up and running. The unit has since operated flawless. I finished filling my CF tank 97cfm, and proceeded to fill my shop N2 tank, 236 cfm I believe. From 2000 psi to 4500 psi. The shoe box piston rods were lubed in 2.5 to 3 hr intervals as per the manufactors recomended practices . During this time the pistons never reached over 110F so the cooling fan does its job very well. And the belt drive is much quieter than the chain drive unit. I have since filled guns, and tanks with no problem.

My understanding is the Freedom8, the newest version of the Shoebox is availble. With improvements of electronic shut off, 4ft of additional cooling coils and a higher input pressure for faster fills.

This is a very worth while piece of equipment for those who do alot of shooting and want to be self sufficient with their PCP arms

Whitewolf

Post subject: Re: Shoebox Max
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:03 am 

Thank,s for the review. Makes me want to get one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:23 am 

Definitely getting a CF tank and a Shoebox. Thanks for the review!

Rich

Bruce Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:24 am 

What kind of moisture levels are coming out of the Shoebox? (if any...) Does come with any sort of filters?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:30 pm 

I can't tell you about the actual, quantified, moisture content of the output, but it certainly can't be any worse than a hand pump operating under the same conditions.... I personally run 25' of coiled airhose after the shop compressor (to allow the air to cool), then a moisture trap, then a 2 gallon pony tank (running at a regulated 85 psi) with a tank drain (and I've never had a drop of water in the pony tank), then two silica gel filters (from Princess Auto) in series between the pony tank and the ShoeBox.... When the gel turns pink in the first filter (and that in the second one is then still blue) I bake all the silica gel to regenerate it, which you can do many times before it "wears out" and you have to bake it every fill session.... At that point I replace the silica gel.... The advantage of doing it this way is that the shop air is already at 85 psi and the humidity has already increased by over a factor of five (from the compression).... and the volume of air being filtered by it (and therefore the flow rate) is less than 1/5th as much.... They therefore can remove the water much more efficiently than a filter on the inlet of a hand pump like a Hill....

Without the silica gel filters (or after they turn pink), when you bleed the ShoeBox using the bleed screw at the bottom of the main block, during the summer, (in the winter, the humidity is very low here) I see a slight spray of mist when I first crack it (and I've seen the same, or worse, from a hand pump).... If the silica gel is blue, never a trace.... I use my ShoeBox to fill a SCUBA tank, and then use that to fill my guns.... When you compress air, the humidity goes up, when it expands, it goes down.... Therefore, the highest humidity will be in the SCUBA tank.... Filling your gun from there will insure the air in your gun doesn't contain liquid water.... You certainly can't say that for a hand pump....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:43 pm 

Bob - if you periodically turned the scuba tank upsidedown for 5 or 10 minutes then let out a blast of air, would that remove any or all of the moisture from the scuba tank?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:33 pm 

Any machinist,s out there thought of making a hand pump version using a pump handle, like the old water pumps. ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:14 pm 

is it possible to make a hand pump that works the same way ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:56 pm 

The Shoebox does not come with a filter or water trap system. I purchased mine thru Princess auto. A simple inline moisture and filter trap, as well as a desicant filter both were just over $22. The inline desicant filter would last approx 6hrs of pumping, that is when there was a noticable 60% of color change upon the desicant. The 20gal compressor (regulated to 85psi) I have was purged every 2.5 to 3 hrs same time I would grease the piston rods. Little to no moisture mist came from the compressor tank. 25ft hose to moisture trap/ filter 3ft whip hose to desicant filter. And like what was said no different then using a stirup pump.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:00 pm 

Hand pumps driven by a motor have been done... The problem I can see is reliability, they could easily overheat....

I've tried upending the SCUBA tank and blasting out some air.... never seen any sign of water / fog / frost.... I'm more confident in my system than a hand pump as far as moisture in the gun goes....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:25 pm 

Thanks Bob.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:35 pm 

I too have seen a video of an automated hand pump. I'll look around and see if I can find it. It turned so slow I doubt it would overheat. I wish I had saved my money on the shoebox and put it towards a booster instead. There is a 7000psi compressor on ebay right now for $1800.