Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:19 pm 
Site Moderator

CCC sec 84(1) --- prohibited weapon means
(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife.

You have to figure it out from there. Maybe true or not, one Internet site claims "This part of the law has evolved into a test where police attempt to release the blade of a knife out of its handle with only one hand. If the knife's blade slides out, even slightly, the knife is considered to be a prohibited weapon."
https://legalbeagle.com/6659356-knife-laws-canada.html

Maybe true or not, Wiki has a more friendly definition stating ... "Manually-opened or 'one-handed' opening knives, including spring-assisted knives, that do not fall within the categories listed as prohibited weapons definition are legal to own and use, however importation of many of these items has been banned by the CBSA."

CBSA web site has some details under sec 20 & 21 at this link.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... .html#a4x2

I was trying to figure out if a spring assisted knife is prohibited. The CBSA interpretation seems to leave it a bit foggy. Probably best to just leave it in your pocket and shut up about it...lol.

CBSA Note: Knives that have a "thumb stud" attached to the blade of the knife, that is independent of the handle (not protruding from the handle in the closed or folded position), and that open automatically by applying pressure to the thumb stud, do not generally meet the above definition of a prohibited weapon, and as such do not generally fall under TI 9898.00.00. However, if such a knife is found to also open by gravity or by the application of centrifugal force (as per (b) centrifugal knife below) alone, it may still be considered to be prohibited.

(b) Centrifugal knife (folding knife, butterfly knife, balisong knife) – A centrifugal knife is one that has a blade that opens automatically by centrifugal force when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper, thumb stud or other non-edged parts of the blade.

Centrifugal force may be defined as a force, arising from the body's inertia, which appears to act on a body moving in a circular path and is directed away from the centre around which the body is moving. That is, centrifugal force is established when the blade of the knife may be opened with a flick of the wrist.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publication ... .html#a4x2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:43 pm 

Thais part of the sentence is critical.

" Centrifugal knife (folding knife, butterfly knife, balisong knife) – A centrifugal knife is one that has a blade that opens automatically by centrifugal force when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper, thumb stud or other non-edged parts of the blade."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:17 pm 

Quote:
"Manually-opened or 'one-handed' opening knives, including spring-assisted knives, [......] are legal to own and use, however importation [....] has been banned by the CBSA."
it would be a sweet justice to have a stud-less knife come across the border, in the same shipment as some of these. :mrgreen:
Attachment:
fkp-pp-702_kwik-stud-image1-390px_1.jpg
fkp-pp-702_kwik-stud-image1-390px_1.jpg [ 38.77 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]

Attachments:
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg [ 50.86 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]
kwikthumbstudbar2_1.jpg
kwikthumbstudbar2_1.jpg [ 490.06 KiB | Viewed 502 times ]

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:38 pm 
Site Moderator

Daryl wrote:

" Centrifugal knife (folding knife, butterfly knife, balisong knife) – A centrifugal knife is one that has a blade that opens automatically by centrifugal force when the blade is released from the handle into the fully ejected and locked position with a simple and brisk outwardly flick of the wrist; and it includes knives that require some preliminary or simultaneous minimal manipulation of either a flipper, thumb stud or other non-edged parts of the blade."

Yah, that's exactly what I was looking at (your bolded part). But the paragraph above that one seems to indicate a thumb-stud opening blade is okay. Oddly, most blades with some physical weight can be opened quickly by flicking the wrist once the stud is moved a bit. You can either flip them open by just applying pressure to the stud or you can greatly speed up the opening with a wrist flick. It makes as much sense as some of our gun laws. Maybe these knives are not prohibited if we do not add speed to opening by flipping the wrist (centrifugal force). "centrifugal force is established when the blade of the knife may be opened with a flick of the wrist".

"Knives that have a "thumb stud" attached to the blade of the knife, that is independent of the handle (not protruding from the handle in the closed or folded position), and that open automatically by applying pressure to the thumb stud, do not generally meet the above definition of a prohibited weapon, and as such do not generally fall under TI 9898.00.00. However, if such a knife is found to also open by gravity or by the application of centrifugal force (as per centrifugal knife below) alone, it may still be considered to be prohibited."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:58 pm 

Yeah- do not generally meet - however the sentence from the customs agents says otherwise - for entry into Canada.
"manipulation with a thumb stud". What does that mean to you?
That's how my bro has been operating his pocket knife for 30 years, flick with his thumb - and it's open. Bought it right here.
I can't get my thumb to do it correctly - oh well. I prefer my Leatherman for every day use or a real knife for the tough stuff.
That Gerber skinning axe is handy.

Attachments:
Knife Belt.JPG
Knife Belt.JPG [ 649.22 KiB | Viewed 494 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:36 am 

Daryl wrote:

Except that is not part of the law. It is from the CBSA.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:33 am 

:shock: look at me! steering us back on topic...
Quote:
For example, a replica which is a PROHIBITED DEVICE in Canada (not prohibited firearm!) is a non-firing full-metal Denix replica of Walther P38, Colt 1911, Makarov, Python etc. etc. It is illegal to bring them to Canada....

*our KWC BB 1911s are not a replica (of a) firearm.. they are a (uncontrolled) firearm...
*in the Big House, a left-over bar of soap carved to replicate a 1911 firearm.. but is really just a bar of soap w shoe polish..is a Replica (of a) Firearm and illegal and will net you more time.

Tracey Wilson, CCFR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 2:05 pm 

WOW - BIG bar of soap. :wink:
Point taken.
Of course, C21 changes all that if it passes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:18 pm 

https://youtu.be/MF0jo_iTV8o

CCFR talking about the possibility of 50% of all guns in Canada being covered by the ban, and possible costs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:35 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Point taken.

Yes C21 will make a lot of airguns, prohibited and no longer be able to be sold/transferred/imported/exported.

Let's hope that stuff like this gets removed from the bill, in a compromise to get it passed.

"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me" - Marilyn Manson, "The Reflecting God" (1996).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:39 pm 

Twiggy wrote:
Daryl wrote:
Point taken.

Yes C21 will make a lot of airguns, prohibited and no longer be able to be sold/transferred/imported/exported.

Let's hope that stuff like this gets removed from the bill, in a compromise to get it passed.

Lets hope the whole thing dies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:25 pm 

Yes indeed. What a bloody nightmare if it doesn't die. How can they possibly enforce it - they can't.
But - it will still have value for virtue signalling, which started and has been perfected since 2015.
"we've taken all of the assault weapons off the street & made it safer for you, aren't we great!"
bloody farce

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:13 am 

NFA release:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WepfVTm ... ssociation

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:09 am 

Daryl wrote:

Most of this I saw coming 10yrs ago, even the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution is being watered down. I could go on but fear I could get too in depth with politics.

There is talk that Alberta is looking into putting in place their own Firearms Officer? We will see?

I believe huge change is coming in 2023 or 2024? It is obvious, Politicians no longer speak for the majority......USA will have to make the first move and Canada will likely follow?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:18 am 

WoodWelder wrote:
Daryl wrote:

Most of this I saw coming 10yrs ago, even the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution is being watered down. I could go on but fear I could get too in depth with politics.

There is talk that Alberta is looking into putting in place their own Firearms Officer? We will see?

I believe huge change is coming in 2023 or 2024? It is obvious, Politicians no longer speak for the majority......USA will have to make the first move and Canada will likely follow?

Alberta already has their own firearms officer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next