Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: new gun opinion
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:58 pm 

2240 in co2? Is comparable to the pump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:14 pm 

IMO... no comparison! The 2240 has much more upgrade options than the 2289 pump version. You can always bulk up the 2240 easily. Out of the box, the 2240 has been know to have higher fps than the 2289.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

NIGHTHAWK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:48 pm 

What do you want to do? The 2289 is flexible, 2-3 pumps for cat-ridding, 10 pumps for varmints. Human-powered=free too. Pistol or carbine?

There is no doubt the 2240 is slightly more powerful stock that the 2289 with 10 pumps. It is tough to do much tuning to the 2240 and keep it non-PAL. And out of the restricted weapon range if you keep it as a pistol. The 2289 can be fairly easily tuned (for free) to put it up to the non-PAL max, above the stock 2240. Even if you went over, it wouldn't be restricted, so no cuffs and jail if you were indiscrete and got caught. And it's quiet too, which helps in that regard. People know you're around with the 2240...

Totally different guns and both have their good uses, you should really have both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:15 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

I did not know which one to get or needed so i got the 2289 1377 2240 :roll: and the shoulder fits all of them :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:16 pm 
Admin-2-IC

2240 is a must have ..... perhaps buy more than 2 ..... no need to make
complicate decision on it for $ 85.00 you can't go wrong .....
You can't compare it to the pump like 2289, it takes all day to take one shot .........lol...........
if you miss ........ there goes more pumping ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:36 pm 

cfraser wrote:
What do you want to do? The 2289 is flexible, 2-3 pumps for cat-ridding, 10 pumps for varmints. Human-powered=free too. Pistol or carbine?

There is no doubt the 2240 is slightly more powerful stock that the 2289 with 10 pumps. It is tough to do much tuning to the 2240 and keep it non-PAL. And out of the restricted weapon range if you keep it as a pistol. The 2289 can be fairly easily tuned (for free) to put it up to the non-PAL max, above the stock 2240. Even if you went over, it wouldn't be restricted, so no cuffs and jail if you were indiscrete and got caught. And it's quiet too, which helps in that regard. People know you're around with the 2240...

Totally different guns and both have their good uses, you should really have both.

So what you are saying, its bad that the 2240 can shoot at such a high velocity after tuning, but the 2289 cant? And wouldnt the 2289 also become restricted since its barrel is under 18.5 inches?

And who would register a 22xx gun anyway???:D

Cheers,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:43 pm 
Site sponsor and moderator

Darn! I want to shoot my airgun but the cartridge is empty. :? It was on my list to buy more, but me being the typical male, I forgot. :oops: Ah. But yes. I have a 2289 for just this type of scenario. 8) A few pumps and I'm good to go. (talkin about the gun here okay!). :lol: Yup have to agree with Cfraser, that they each have there own purpose and with the rest of you gentleman about the 2240. Cash strapped? Get the 2289 as the exercise you get from pumping will take your mind off of money, and the pellets are your only overhead. 2240 initially cheaper and not good in cold weather but factor in the price of the cartridges and it catches up on you. Just like the rest of us the odds are you will end up with both sooner or later, as they are great learning tools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:53 pm 

ancorp: I don't always know who I'm talking to here, their age and what they know, and how they might behave... Some people on this forum DO register restricted weapons, even airguns. They have jobs, families, and travel sometimes, and know to beat the simplest criminal charge is $4k up, way up. Most are sensible enough not to purposely have them if they're not registered, or at the least to know if they're entering the territory and what the consequences may be.

The overall length of the 2289 in stock form *with the plastic stock* will prevent it from being a prohibited weapon no matter how fast it shoots. But if you tune it enough, beyond the non-PAL limit, better screw that stock on and no more backpacker. The prohibited/restricted classification has a lot to do with concealment issues from the lawmakers' POV, besides the more obvious ones, that's why length often comes into play.

If you are a 14y.o. like I was, and you went out with your 2240 with a 14" barrel, say, the type of things I did back then, and the way people/cops are NOW, these days you'd be hauled in if somebody complained. In the old days they'd tell your parents and you'd be punished worse than the cops would have done...and that would be the end of it and you'd get your gun back in a month. :D

A 2240 with a 14" barrel and otherwise stock is a pistol classified as a restricted weapon. Short and simple. Screw a stock on and you're fine, but then it's not a pistol, is it? It will be non-PAL, and you'll get a warning (at least now). OTOH, the 2289 with a free tune will out-perform a stock 2240, yes you'll have to work a bit to use it. It will still be PAL, barely. Nobody can do anything to you just for having it. There can be bylaw issues, but that's quasi-legal and a few $$ will take care of it at worst, same for any airgun.

I am not a CO2 fanatic like some, embrace everything, it all has its use and purpose. I'm lazy but not THAT lazy. CO2 is a damn nuisance more often than not in Canada due to our weather. If you're just shooting inside, your choices are more flexible. I also get the impression some of the CO2 fanatics shoot inside almost all the time. The 2240 is just about the noisiest pistol there is. The 2289 is one of the quietest guns. Where do you shoot? Do you want people to know you're shooting? :wink:

No, I'm not that wimpy really. Just cognoscent of the crazy atmosphere re guns and the over-reaction of the public and politicians. Not worth the hassle, even for a kid, so better to make sure people know that certain air pistols are treated the same as the largest powder handguns. If you're not going to do any mods, then no problem, but even the kids here always ask about mods immediately after they get a gun it seems. Man I had a fun childhood, the stuff we could get away with...

Edit: fixed error

Last edited by cfraser on Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:39 pm 

cfraser wrote:
...A 2240 with a 14" barrel and otherwise stock is a pistol classified as a restricted weapon. Short and simple. Screw a stock on and you're fine, but then it's not a pistol, is it? It will be non-PAL...

So, if its with a stock (tuned over 500fps) its non-PAL??? I think you mean non restricted, and even if so, I always thought that a you need a 18.5" barrel or longer for it to be non restricted, stock on or not?

Cheers,
Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:49 pm 

This an area most really will not speak of as it comes down to discretion as we all know and the 500 fps rule and pushing limits. Neither the Crown nor Airgunners want to be involved if it can be avoided. But the laws are the laws just use your own judgement because just adding a longer barrel to a 2240 and changing a spring can technically get you charged.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:20 am 

ancorp: yes, I meant PAL in that case, and edited to correct any further misinterpretation of my error in future. I don't know how many times I've typed non-PAL when I meant PAL, thinking in double negatives... :D

So, tuned to over 500fps *with a stock permanently attached* it is just an ordinary PAL airgun, not restricted or prohibited. I don't know how things are with the long gun amnesty etc. or what would happen to you. Probably nothing serious...but they'd remember you for a year. It is long enough with the stock and 14.5" barrel to keep you out of the hoosegow most probably, at least just for possession. It requires a trigger lock and/or proper storage when PAL-rated, as with any powder firearm.

I guess the salient point is a PAL-rated pistol is a restricted weapon. A stock 2240 with the pistol grip and a 14" barrel would be such a restricted weapon. Admittedly just "barely" into PAL territory, but there it is except on a cold day...