Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:14 pm 

I was wondering how many mods for the HB22 are out there.It would be nice if we could have them all in one thread.Somebody must have some ideas!!Please add them here!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:42 am 

Mine is currently in wait of a new valve, the old one only lasted about 10 years and thousands and thousands of shots :o ,LOL! It's only $20 from D&L.
Anyway, the only things I really did to my HB22 were smooth/polish the sear surfaces, polish the hammer, and basic lubing. The trigger is the weak point in this pistol, but a little elbow grease makes it much better.

Mulby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:33 am 

this mod will increase power, but not over 500 fps.

take the hammer spring out and slide in a golf tee, pointy side in. make sure the spring has enough room to compress. next, place the spring and tee towards the hammer, the wide part will fit right into the hammer. it might need to be shaved down abit though. this creates more compression and guides the spring. mine will consiteantly dump 25 pumps. 25 pumps is the highest i've ever went, and the gun has recoil after this LOL. it feels like the gun pushes itself up and back. Beware, it is LOUD.

Post subject: tried it
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:59 am 

lotsofsquirrels wrote:
this mod will increase power, but not over 500 fps.

take the hammer spring out and slide in a golf tee, pointy side in. make sure the spring has enough room to compress. next, place the spring and tee towards the hammer, the wide part will fit right into the hammer. it might need to be shaved down abit though. this creates more compression and guides the spring. mine will consiteantly dump 25 pumps. 25 pumps is the highest i've ever went, and the gun has recoil after this LOL. it feels like the gun pushes itself up and back. Beware, it is LOUD.

I tried this but it didnt work...the fat end of my tee fits in the end cap nicely and the spring compresses but it doesnt seem to hold air when it is in..."doink!"

How long should the tee be? Just less than the spring so it compresses only a little? Or short (1/2 inch ?)

Pictures would be a help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:09 pm 

i find that putting the teee in the hammer works better, rather than putting it in the cap. the spring should be short enough to let the spring compress. if it leaks out air, than you need to cock the gun first before you start pumping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:29 pm 

This is great guys!I love my HB22,and alot of people out there must want to tweak this pistol out.Even any mods gone wrong stories with the HB22 are just as helpful,we can share your pain with you :cry: ,and make sure we don't do the same.The only thing is my walnut pump handle cracked fron pumping.Oh well i'll have to make one from purpleheart[much stronger wood]Keep them coming,i can't wait to see what else i can do to this pistol!!!Walter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:08 pm 

WOW!!I don't understand.With this being such a good pistol,i kinda thought that that alot of people would have done some tuning up on this bad boy.What i want is to tune it to 500fps.It hits and wipes out magpies up to 15yrds no problem.With 60fps more and a stock,they would'nt stand a chance ay 25yrds.Thanks to Mulby and Lotsofsquirrels for your input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:27 am 

with the mods i described, a scope and a stock, magpies would go SPLAT at 30 yards! the hb is not a very moddable gun, because it is not as easy too mod, and the are no interchangeble parts to upgrade it with. what would you want to improve on an hb22 besides power? they're accurate, very durable and almost 100% rust-proof.

have you ever got the valve out of the gun yet? i'm not interested in messing this gun up, trying to disassemble it. if you do the simple mod i described, and add a few drops of pellgun oil on the piston, i'm sure you will be right around the 500fps mark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:13 pm 

yeah i actually just bought one... havent seen it yet, but its being sent to me at work :twisted:

cant wait to take it apart.
i'll let you guys know what i come up with.
hey does it have a metal piston?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:00 pm 

i think it has some sort of metal piston, i havent really paid any attention to that. I have more info coming soon though......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:08 pm 

ok, the piston is metal. i managed to get the gun apart and had a look at the valve. it is bigger than the 13xx valves. it may not have more or less volume, but it has definatley a larger diameter valve. the valve spring was quite heavy, so i put in a lighter spring. i also had a spare 2289 bolt i no longer needed.......it fit perfect inside the valve spring, i had to cut it to fit length wise though. pumping the gun gets harder now starting from 0 pumps, it feels like 3 pumps on the first one compared to before. it still dumps 25 pumps and is considerably harder to pump. when firing, it is now a sharp crack rather than a loud POOOOOFFF. it still has a large amount of muzzle lift when fired, maybe even more. i havent done any port angling, and that hole in the back of the valve is in fact a bleedhole! so i still must get to those things first. i have no idea how fast she is pushing 14.3 grainers, im positive its under 500 still though. i now need a chrony lol. hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:29 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

i gotta hear mroe now :) please keep more info coming

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:55 pm 

I still stand by my statement that the hole in the back of the valve is NOT a bleed hole, it is used to clock the valve so that during assembly the exhaust port is aligned with the transfer port, while maintaining alignment with the threaded hole in the front of the valve that accepts the screw that holds the front end of the grip frame to the reciever tube. The hole doesn't go into the valve body, at least not in the examples I've seen. It is really important that everything is aligned just right or you may end up with less power than when you started as the exhaust port may be blocked and not allowing proper flow into the barrel. Just my observations,

Mulby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:47 pm 

ok, if it is just for alingment, what would it matter if it was blocked? you could see the blocked hole and use it to line up the valve anyway. ive read some info on other forums (sorry, i cannot remeber which one it was, or id happily post a link) that it is infact a bleed hole and it does stunt the performance in this pistol. i am not sure which it is. i guess the only way to find out is too test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:20 pm 

Knock yourself out. :wink: But if you'd just take my word for it, you wouldn't have to. But if you insist, next time you take the valve out just look at the hole(maybe use a magnafying glass), you'll notice that it's just a shallow cylindrical 'dimple'. Filling it with glue or whathaveyou will be like corking your belly button so you don't self-deflate!LOL! J/K! Have fun experimenting.

Mulby