Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: quick&easy pellet trap
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm 

Thanks to this Forum i found out about Duct Seal. I knew it was just what i needed for a Pellet/BB trap. I have a nice pellet trap but it's no good for BB's.
I'm in the process of buying a few BB shooters (fun guns) so i needed something decent to shoot at and Duct Seal is it.
This what i came up with. 10L HD rubber tote from Princess Auto ($10) + 7 blocks of Duct Seal ($20). I lined the bottom with the Duct Seal covered it with parchment paper then place a small wooden cutting board on that and just stood on it to press it all in. Done! The tote is tough as anything takes a thumb tack easily and is completely silent. I'm pretty sure its weather proof as well cuz the tote is sold as a feed tray @Princess Auto.
Thanks to all the members who post tips and tricks on this site. You guys ROCK!!
Regards Kevin

Attachments:
IMG_1582.JPG
IMG_1582.JPG [ 195.98 KiB | Viewed 1588 times ]
IMG_1580.JPG
IMG_1580.JPG [ 325.92 KiB | Viewed 1588 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:49 am 

Nice Job! I just spent $90 on a .22lr trap.

3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:19 am 

That looks good. I've still got my duct seal in a cardboard box. I keep meaning to build a wood box but hey, there's shooting to do :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:51 pm 

Just out of curiosity, what BB guns are you wanting to get? I have two CO2 pistols, a Crosman C11 and a Walther CP99 with included dot holo type scope. I also just bought a new Daisy Powerline Model 35, as I wanted a cheap smooth bore BB/pellet rifle so I could shoot BBs without having to worry about damaging the rifling. I got the Daisy for $35.00 including delivery (to my Post Office), and am shooting it with open sights for a while.
I live in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 pm 

Hi birdmove,
I have a Umarex Makarova that is a lot of fun to plink with but until i made this BB trap it was a real pain in the butt to shoot indoors. I just bought the ASG STI Duty One blowback BB gun and i really like it, i now have a long wish list for more blowback BB shooters, my next purcase will be the Umarex Walther P38, i have just always liked the style.
Cheers K.L.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:29 pm 

rangerll wrote:
Hi birdmove,
I have a Umarex Makarova that is a lot of fun to plink with but until i made this BB trap it was a real pain in the butt to shoot indoors. I just bought the ASG STI Duty One blowback BB gun and i really like it, i now have a long wish list for more blowback BB shooters, my next purcase will be the Umarex Walther P38, i have just always liked the style.
Cheers K.L.

The sig x-five open is pretty good value at princess auto, but it's loud. Do you want to start a BB category in the March postal? :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:33 pm 

Carefull rangerll, wishing for more guns is a really bad sign! See a wishdoctor immediately... :rolleyes:

In the words of Docgadget airguns are like popcorn, you cannot have just one.

I have got six and growing! Fortunately I can give some to my grandsons.

Air Pistols: Baikal IZH46M; Webley Alecto .22; Umarex Beretta 92FS; Umarex Colt 1911A1;

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:30 pm 

Ya guy's, i'm hopelessly addicted :rolleyes: , Doc say's i'm to far gone and the only treatment is more guns LOL. Sig x-five open is near the top of my list, my local P/Auto doesn't have it in stock here so i'll have to order 1 online. I have already passed on most of my older airguns to my sons to make room for new ones, then i can pass those on to my grandson.
I'm not familiar with this "postal shoot" so i'll read some post on here about it, as it sounds interesting.
Thanks for the feedback guys K.L.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:13 pm 

rangerll wrote:
Ya guy's, i'm hopelessly addicted

Don't worry, you're among friends :)

Quote:
I'm not familiar with this "postal shoot" so i'll read some post on here about it, as it sounds interesting.

The nice thing about this one is we get to make up the rules to suit ourselves. Number of shots, distance, type of target - whatever works for you.

I was having a lousy time with the Crosman copperhead bbs. Just got some Daisy, and things are looking better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:47 pm 

Hi EverHopeful, thanks for the heads up on the postal shoot, i had seen it mentioned on this site before and assumed it was an in person thing. Now i see how it works and i will get in on it as soon as i can. I'm working 6 days a week right now so i don't have much time at the moment.
I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind. Do own the Sig x-five open and if so what do think of it? I ask cuz it was my first choice for a blowback BB gun, i bought the STI Duty1 as the supply seemed to limited on it and i really wanted 1. I see a KWC version of the Sig as well the Cybergun model. I will probably end up buying 1 of each in the end. Yep Crosman BB's are crap thankfully P/Auto stocks Daisy&Umarex BB's here.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:06 pm 

Yes I have the Sig, but it's the only BB gun I have, so I can't really compare it to anything else. I got a bit frustrated by the accuracy compared to pellet guns, but now I've pretty much accepted it for what it is and enjoy the challenge of shooting it. It has a good weight in the hand and the action has quite a satisfying feel. I wish it had a decocking lever, but you can do it carefully with a thumb on the hammer. I'm not particularly impressed with the build quality. The hammer spring guide looks particularly fragile, and there is a lot of slop between the outer barrel and the slide. The inner barrel is supposed to be held in place by an o-ring but again most people report a lot of slop there too. I put a slightly larger o-ring on which seemed to fix that - some people use electrical tape or heat shrink. I've had the gun miss-feed and throw BBs out the side, and once had the mechanism jam up and dump all the CO2 (that's annoying for sure). As a result I've taken to only loading 10 to 12 BBs at a time and that seems to have reduced the problems. Overall, I guess I would say it's been an interesting experience that I probably wouldn't repeat, but it helped me learn more about what I enjoy about pistol shooting. It certainly gave me something different to what I had before :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:30 pm 

EverHopeful, Thanks for the input on the Sig, i've had my suspicions about some of these guns, i will probably still go ahead and buy them anyways. I have no complaints about my Umarex Makarov, ive had it for a couple years now, its not blowback but its cheap$$ to buy, solid quality build & nice light double action and lotso fun. I cant comment much on my STI yet, but so far so good, no problems yet and quality seems fairly good, better accuracy than i had expected.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:52 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Yes I have the Sig, but it's the only BB gun I have, so I can't really compare it to anything else. I got a bit frustrated by the accuracy compared to pellet guns, but now I've pretty much accepted it for what it is and enjoy the challenge of shooting it. It has a good weight in the hand and the action has quite a satisfying feel. I wish it had a decocking lever, but you can do it carefully with a thumb on the hammer. I'm not particularly impressed with the build quality. The hammer spring guide looks particularly fragile, and there is a lot of slop between the outer barrel and the slide. The inner barrel is supposed to be held in place by an o-ring but again most people report a lot of slop there too. I put a slightly larger o-ring on which seemed to fix that - some people use electrical tape or heat shrink. I've had the gun miss-feed and throw BBs out the side, and once had the mechanism jam up and dump all the CO2 (that's annoying for sure). As a result I've taken to only loading 10 to 12 BBs at a time and that seems to have reduced the problems. Overall, I guess I would say it's been an interesting experience that I probably wouldn't repeat, but it helped me learn more about what I enjoy about pistol shooting. It certainly gave me something different to what I had before :)

Hey Jim, u bought the best BB pistol in my opinion. I have 8 BB shooters and the P226 groups 1" to 1.5" @20 feet for me. It's my most accurate BB shooter and one I will keep in my collection. The only downside to this gun is the mags. I've gone through 2 already. As for accuracy in comparison to pellet shooters, there's no comparison. I just take it for what it is and have fun plinking away. I am in the process of evaluating the accuracy of all my BB shooters @ the GTAC range.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:21 pm 

I tried using the Sig for the UBC rapid fire competition. It seemed pretty good one month, but then I didn't practice and couldn't repeat the performance the next month. I've also tried using the Crosman 357 for that, but the trigger is hard work on that thing. Dave was interested in trying rapid fire, so maybe next week I'll bring in some targets, the Sig and the 357 and have some fun :)

Do you have the Tangfolio? I've always wondered how that compares. I tried one briefly at the club and it felt smoother than the Sig, but I think it was at the end of the CO2, and the Sig gets a bit soft then too. Biggest problem I have with the Sig is the trigger doesn't always work - the safety seems to come on if you don't keep a hold of it. That puts a real damper on a 5 shot sequence :(

Jim

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:35 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
I tried using the Sig for the UBC rapid fire competition. It seemed pretty good one month, but then I didn't practice and couldn't repeat the performance the next month. I've also tried using the Crosman 357 for that, but the trigger is hard work on that thing. Dave was interested in trying rapid fire, so maybe next week I'll bring in some targets, the Sig and the 357 and have some fun :)

Do you have the Tangfolio? I've always wondered how that compares. I tried one briefly at the club and it felt smoother than the Sig, but I think it was at the end of the CO2, and the Sig gets a bit soft then too. Biggest problem I have with the Sig is the trigger doesn't always work - the safety seems to come on if you don't keep a hold of it. That puts a real damper on a 5 shot sequence :(

Jim

Haha, funny thing is you tried my Tanfoglio Witness last week when it was on the last leg of the CO2 life. I have all 3 KWC air pistols and I love the feel of the GSG92 the best. The blowback is smooth and I never have problems with jams, misfeeds, auto firing at the end CO2 life, and mag problems. For accuracy, the P226 takes the cake for sure. The Tanfoglio Witness falls between the two in my opinion and the accuracy is close to the P226. By coincidence, my P226 safety also does the same when I shoot. I have to hold it down after 2 shots otherwise it activates. The workmanship on this device is not the greatest.

Megiddo65