Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:07 pm 

I took the scope off and had a go at the whole standing, offhand, open sights thing. Some of the pellets even hit the target, but I'm sure not going to be talking about scores here. :oops:

OK, I know that nobody does this with a springer, but even so, you've still got to wave 8 to 12lbs of rifle around in the air and hit a target barely bigger than a stamp. What. The. Hell.

Amazing. Really amazing.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:16 pm 

Yeah, and not only do they do it, but with peep sights both ends (OK, technically a Diopter rear and Globe front), and from a standing position, they can consistently hit a dot about the size of the one at the end of this sentence.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:21 pm 

I was looking at the records on Wikipedia - multiple instances of people shooting a perfect 600.

My mind is officially blown.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 pm 

Sure people do it, with springers nonetheless. You don't hold up the gun with muscle power because you'll never be stable enough, rest your elbow on your body. Coupled with artillery hold it's surprisingly accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:52 am 

jzmtl wrote:
Sure people do it, with springers nonetheless. You don't hold up the gun with muscle power because you'll never be stable enough, rest your elbow on your body. Coupled with artillery hold it's surprisingly accurate.

I'll keep working on it, it's an interesting challenge for sure. At the moment I'd still put it in the "you have to be kidding me" category :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:20 am 

A number of people here shoot 10M Match every Sunday.
The 10 ring is merely a dot, like Bob said.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:04 pm 

Is there some secret to avoid stressing the lower back? I seem to have a huge amount of tension in the lower right hand side of my back while I'm supporting the rifle. It gets quite painful in short order.

I make sure to hold my supporting arm in against my chest, and I'm facing 90 degrees off from the target, back foot parallel to the target, front foot at about 45 degrees.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:36 pm 

rsterne wrote:
Yeah, and not only do they do it, but with peep sights both ends (OK, technically a Diopter rear and Globe front), and from a standing position, they can consistently hit a dot about the size of the one at the end of this sentence.

Bob

For 15 years I did .22lr 3 position at 50yds. Aperture and globe sights. Shooting coach wood use Tic-Tacs on occasion for variety. My Anschutz rifle in 1980 cost more then my first used car! :shock:

Now my eyes don't focus perfectly enough for Aperture sights for the rifle. :cry:

Stretching and now Yoga is the only way to shoot in an unnatural position of standing.

Like I said before EverHopeful, it is just repetition and practice! Don't expect results over night! Lots of good DVD's, now You Tube, with good instruction. I had probably five different coaches in the US Army. If I wasn't in some hotspot killing terrorist, I was with a shooting coach!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:44 pm 

EverHopeful wrote:
Is there some secret to avoid stressing the lower back? I seem to have a huge amount of tension in the lower right hand side of my back while I'm supporting the rifle. It gets quite painful in short order.

I make sure to hold my supporting arm in against my chest, and I'm facing 90 degrees off from the target, back foot parallel to the target, front foot at about 45 degrees.

It is a lot of muscle memory and becoming accustomed to the stance. Using a proper sling and heavy leather jacket and a palm rest, adjustable cheek piece also help. Don't try to hold the rifle for more then 15 seconds on target, otherwise fatigue will get you. Having a standing rest to place the rifle on also helps between shoots when you spot your shots through the spotting scope which should be on a stand next to you.

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:06 pm 

Speaking for myself here, the fitter I am, the easier it is to shoot from any position, but especially standing and kneeling.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:14 pm 

Mac wrote:
Speaking for myself here, the fitter I am, the easier it is to shoot from any position, but especially standing and kneeling.

Ah Tim, now you're opening a can of worms. I can't claim to be in great shape, and I was pretty shocked at just how physically hard work rifle seems to be. I thought things had got a bit strange when I quietly started doing weight training for pistol, but now I might have to look at cardio work outs for the rifle! Ye gods, who would have thought it would come to this?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:22 pm 

Funny about the fitness thing. I'd slacked off mostly for years, though I used to compete as a middle distance (3 to 15km) runner and raced both BMX and mountainbikes. Then I started with air pistol and realised I had to get back into a real running and weights routine, not just sporadically or binge fitness nonsense. When I told my stepdaughter I was competing (by email; she was at school in Costa Rica) she was highly amused and teased me for adopting an "old man hobby." That may be, but if I am to get anywhere even at the national level it's going to take a lot more than just practicing shooting the pistol.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:38 pm 

I used to only shoot AR off a bench, now 10m offhand AR is my favorite shooting position.

Go to your local home improvement store (Home Depot) and get a back belt.
I use one when I shoot 10m AR and AP, and it supports my lower back so it does not hurt.
Proper technique also reduces the stress on the lower back.

The trick to shooting off hand is to NOT use muscle to hold up the rifle. Muscles get tired and shake.
Get into position, then "sag" or relax. My coach calls acting like a melting snowman. At that point you are holding up the rifle with vertical bone to bone support or pulling tension on your joints.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:08 pm 

ac12 wrote:
I used to only shoot AR off a bench, now 10m offhand AR is my favorite shooting position.

Go to your local home improvement store (Home Depot) and get a back belt.
I use one when I shoot 10m AR and AP, and it supports my lower back so it does not hurt.
Proper technique also reduces the stress on the lower back.

The trick to shooting off hand is to NOT use muscle to hold up the rifle. Muscles get tired and shake.
Get into position, then "sag" or relax. My coach calls acting like a melting snowman. At that point you are holding up the rifle with vertical bone to bone support or pulling tension on your joints.

Perfect!

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:13 pm 

Take a look at this doc. It has a decent section on offhand shooting.
http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-results_s ... ning-1.pdf

The setup of the stance is VERY important to accuracy and your back.
And something that MANY people forget...your shoes. The bottom of your shoes need to be FLAT. If it is curved, you WILL rock along the curve, and you just gave up a bunch of points. Shooting in bare feet is better than shooting in shoes with a curved sole/heel.