Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:53 am 

Hi guys, I was considering buying a LW 9mm barrel to install into my trapmaster, as it came with 9mm bullet molds, that would hit like a truck, but they dont shoot worth a damn in the smoothbore, tumbly tumbly;
I know It'll need be machined to fit and accept the shells, and a guide at the top to fit the slot in the receiver that keeps it straight, but is there something obvious that would make this not work that a doofus like me would miss? or maybe, there is a cheaper barrel I should try this with? I'm not sure , LW is just the first place I looked and $125 didn't seem too unreasonable, but that's only if it works, if it doesn't, its a really expensive experiment...
I'd prefer to not to fork out $800+ for a samyang just for a bit more accuracy, so if I can put a good barrel in this thing, I'll be happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:11 am 

I've never had a trapmaster, but I think they are larger than 9mm (0.356"), aren't they?....

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:26 am 

I shoot hornady round ball 80gr in mine (.375) .36 cal with a patch in the red shell and it works well for what it's worth

GT

Crosman 1100
Crosman 2240
Custom 2050
Brass M2250
Tanfoglio 1911

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 am 

the trapmaster shoot .375 round balls, called .36 caliber ,
and not fit tight ,
but the barrel is a .38 caliber

barrel change is possible and easy to do ,
for riffled smaller caliber ,and it will shoot far over 500fps :lol: ,

for switch fo a riffled 9mm barrel ,im not too much positive ,,,,,,,
the seal might be very tight to the barrel ,better made than it was stock,
trapmaster lost alot of air there,

i have try whit a bullets too much heavy ,and all the air escape from the breach and bullet stay in the breach,

and it could need a stronger hammer spring too,
sealed rifled barrel surly need litle more psi

to shoot regular comercial airgun 9mm pellets it could work fine
but probably not for real heavy bullets engage on a tight riffling

trapmaster iner parts are not built for that ,
the valve was made in smooth brass, and a long tiny coper tube conect the air reservoir to the valve

for the real safe and hight power ,all i can i imagine for the trapmaster ,was to rebuilt the inside parts, whit strong stuff, :lol: :lol:

its a guest ,,maybe everything work fine too :lol: :lol: :lol:

take a look there ,some have done switch barrels
http://www.luftvapenbladet.com/crosman_1100_trapmaster.htm

target man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 am 

Thenooblord wrote:
Hi guys, I was considering buying a LW 9mm barrel to install into my trapmaster, as it came with 9mm bullet molds, that would hit like a truck, but they dont shoot worth a damn in the smoothbore, tumbly tumbly;
I know It'll need be machined to fit and accept the shells, and a guide at the top to fit the slot in the receiver that keeps it straight, but is there something obvious that would make this not work that a doofus like me would miss? or maybe, there is a cheaper barrel I should try this with? I'm not sure , LW is just the first place I looked and $125 didn't seem too unreasonable, but that's only if it works, if it doesn't, its a really expensive experiment...
I'd prefer to not to fork out $800+ for a samyang just for a bit more accuracy, so if I can put a good barrel in this thing, I'll be happy

Ok, so you want to rebarrel your Trapmaster to 9mm. Now a LW bbl is gonna run you $200+ Machinest's don't work for free, plus you will need shells machined to fit a 9mm rnd. Average shop rate $85 @ approx 4-5hrs. The gun runs on Co2, possible power level 45 to 50 fpe. Now depending upon your mechanical aptitude, put it all together. Or find someone who's willing to assemble, test. Gunsmiths $45/hr, airgun enthusiast $15 to $25 hr for lets say 3 to 4hrs. (So the job is done right, components within need upgrading) So now we have a Co2 powered air cannon costing near er to $800

Now a box or .36cal Hornady balls $15. for approx 100rnds. Simplicity of load shoot enjoy, a heck of alot cheaper.

Cost of a second hand Samyang big bore $600ish and second hand pump $180.

Its healthy to want things, but when it come to practicality. Simple works best. JMO

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:50 am 

Itemizing and pricing it out custom work makes a BIG difference as pointed out. Same goes for making up a .172 cal. RAT rifle - it is cheaper to pay $1,000.00 for a factory rifle, the dies etc, load up some ammo and go shooting. A new Sam Yang is around $700.00, isn't it- from 9mm to .50.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 am 

Second hand ones can be had for $600ish Daryl.

And yes once broken down, custom work adds a large price tag, not mentioning the cost of shipping for said parts and pieces. For those with the tools and mechanical aptitude to do the job. It becomes a labour of love, lucky if it relates to $5/ hr for time invested. But satisfaction gratified when done, eh.

Just a matter of consumer practical, or enjoy it as it was designed for.

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:14 am 

well machining costs/work are neg, so I just have to pay for the barrel, if it'll work, $200 is worth it to me, but only if it will actually work, I'm not OPPOSED to getting a samyang, but if I can just put a better barrel in this, why get another gun? I don't need two, and this can do both jobs, I'm not out for the extra power that a samyang gives, cause this is just for plinking at close targets, but at the same time I want decent precision, the round balls work OK, but not quite good enough for me

now one response was that the bullets may be too tight in a rifled barrel at the pressure this gun runs, thats a legitimate issue, any other specific problems that you can think of that I'd have to contend with? I dont really plan on increasing power, a 130 grain bullet going even only 300 fps would still be fine for me, I just want it to go straight

and before "just use .22/.177 to plink" comes up or something, I do, this is alot more fun, lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:04 am 

Thenooblord wrote:
well machining costs/work are neg, so I just have to pay for the barrel, if it'll work, $200 is worth it to me, but only if it will actually work, I'm not OPPOSED to getting a samyang, but if I can just put a better barrel in this, why get another gun? I don't need two, and this can do both jobs, I'm not out for the extra power that a samyang gives, cause this is just for plinking at close targets, but at the same time I want decent precision, the round balls work OK, but not quite good enough for me

now one response was that the bullets may be too tight in a rifled barrel at the pressure this gun runs, thats a legitimate issue, any other specific problems that you can think of that I'd have to contend with? I dont really plan on increasing power, a 130 grain bullet going even only 300 fps would still be fine for me, I just want it to go straight

and before "just use .22/.177 to plink" comes up or something, I do, this is alot more fun, lol

as yo say you can easy change the barrel's only for the barrel cost ,
that wil cost the same even whit an other gun ,

but sure, you will need find other bullets molds,and dies set-up etc,
if that dont work like you want you could always shoot regular eunjin or jsb 9mm pellets and they sure be real accurate ,,
that make a nice 9mm set-up if you forget the gun price,

and even all that experience doesn't work like you want ,,,

if you have ordered an as much long barrel ,
you will always have the option to put that barrel on an other gun platforme, the barrel wil not be a lost
or you could surly re sell it here as much fast

and rebuilt your trapmaster stock ,even the non perfect accuracy the hit a tree at real far distance whit round ball ,
i remember hiting a tree at 72 yards ,,but sure 3 feet lower hahahahah

or you can even hit a silouete target whit the other heavy slug,at close range ,they are destroyer at 10 or 15 yards :lol:

target man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:12 am 

Thenooblord wrote:
well machining costs/work are neg,Negotiable or negligible, big difference here so I just have to pay for the barrel, if it'll work, $200 is worth it to me,More like $250 plus, bbl blank is $230 USD and then add shipping but only if it will actually work, I'm not OPPOSED to getting a samyang, but if I can just put a better barrel in this, why get another gun?The airgun bug is obviously just tapping on your shoulder and hasn't bit you, YET I don't need two, and this can do both jobs, I'm not out for the extra power that a samyang gives, cause this is just for plinking at close targets, but at the same time I want decent precision,Big bore precision requires a higher level of power not just a better bbl the round balls work OK, but not quite good enough for me

now one response was that the bullets may be too tight in a rifled barrel at the pressure this gun runs, thats a legitimate issue, any other specific problems that you can think of that I'd have to contend with?With engagement into rifling the breech area will receive higher back pressures, breech area was never designed for that, as well as the copper tube and the feral screws upon it. I dont really plan on increasing power, a 130 grain bullet going even only 300 fps would still be fine for me, I just want it to go straightThe guns design was that of a shotgun not a single projectile shooter. It's just that a .375 is the closest to shooting a single projectile. I do agree tossing big lead has it's own fun factor. But limitations of distance to accuracy is your main concern from what we're trying to understand here. Is it not? Not thats it's not doable but there are limitations to the guns design

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 am 

thanks for the responses, quite informative, I'll keep thinking and/or dreaming about it

and trust me, I've got the airgun bug, its getting out of control and I'm trying my best not to buy a samyang, I've got too many guns already

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:53 am 

Well there are those choices of doing a bit of clean up upon some and take the plunge to a Samyung big bore. Question is what are you willing to part with of airguns. Bitten it is. LOL

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:16 pm 

Thenooblord wrote:
...why get another gun? I don't need two...

:shock: Heresy :o
OMG he sounds like my wife :wink:
Red

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:44 pm 

well I don't need two Bigbores, in addition to the 50 other .177s and .22s, not really a heretic D:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:22 pm 

Just read your post have you thought of riffling your own barrel not that hard