Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: AR2078 target sights?
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 4:12 am 

I have my QB79 rifle and a AR2078 stock coming next week!
Thinking about doing some 10m shooting.....

Are the aperture site set worth the $62 from Scopes and Ammo?

Or should I get the Crosman sights for $120?

Or the Air Force sights for $171?

Anybody with some experience with any of these or good alternatives for under $200, I welcome your input!

THANK YOU!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:54 am 

The $60 sight is a Chinese made clone of the Gamo sight. The first versions had poor QC, and lots of slop in the rear sight adjustments. I don't know if the later versions fixed those problems.

The Crosman sight is the Gamo sight. At least I got the Gamo sight when I ordered the Crosman sight from Pyramid Air. It is a pretty good sight. I have it on my 953 and 853.

From what I read, the AF is the best rear sight of the bunch. I there are some sportster coaches that would like to use the AF rear sight on their rifles. But since the sight did not come OEM on their rifles, they can't use it in sportster 3P competition.

If you can afford it, go for the AF sight.

For the 2078 rifle, the front sights do not have a standard dovetail sight rail. So you are stuck with their front sight.
http://www.archerairguns.info/2010/02/h ... r2078.html
Rather than buying the AF set (front+rear), just get the rear sight, and save some $.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/AirForce_ ... _Guns/2237

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 11:58 am 

ac12 wrote:
The $60 sight is a Chinese made clone of the Gamo sight. The first versions had poor QC, and lots of slop in the rear sight adjustments. I don't know if the later versions fixed those problems.

The Crosman sight is the Gamo sight. At least I got the Gamo sight when I ordered the Crosman sight from Pyramid Air. It is a pretty good sight. I have it on my 953 and 853.

From what I read, the AF is the best rear sight of the bunch. I there are some sportster coaches that would like to use the AF rear sight on their rifles. But since the sight did not come OEM on their rifles, they can't use it in sportster 3P competition.

If you can afford it, go for the AF sight.

For the 2078 rifle, the front sights do not have a standard dovetail sight rail. So you are stuck with their front sight.
http://www.archerairguns.info/2010/02/h ... r2078.html
Rather than buying the AF set (front+rear), just get the rear sight, and save some $.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/AirForce_ ... _Guns/2237

Thanks ac! Again! LOL!
I figured the more I spend the better the quality would be! I don't have the QB AR2078 gun just buying the stock to but my QB79 in it.

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 12:09 pm 

The biggest PITA with a QB 207X target style front globe sight is that stupid pin they use to hold it on.... It allows the sight to rotate slightly on the barrel, changing the left/right POI....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:16 pm 

I would be surprised if the Crosman and QB are not the same unit, made in the same factory in China.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 1:38 pm 

paddyfritz wrote:
I would be surprised if the Crosman and QB are not the same unit, made in the same factory in China.

Now looking at it again it sure looks like a cruder version!

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:06 pm 

I agree with Bob about the roll pin design. Unlike a tapered pin, there is no mechanism to take up any slack in the parts.
IF the bottom or the turbular part of the sight is thick enough, you could drill and tap the bottom of the front sight for a fine thread set screw to stabilize the front sight. Maybe 2 screws would be better.

I am hesitant about the Chinese clones of the Gamo, based on the feedback that I have heard on the TargetTalk forum from some coaches. One guy said he ordered 5 for his club, and had to send 4 back for quality issues. But these were the early sights, soon after Daisy switched from Gamo to the Chinese clones. They may have improved the sights since then. But, I would get one ONLY if I could easily return it, if it turned out to have QC or sloppy adjustments. You would have to "shoot the box pattern" to determine if there is any slop in the mechanism.

The Crosman/Gamo sight (which is made in Spain) is "plenty good enough" for most of us.

Only if you were serious about target shooting, then I would pay the extra for the AF sight.

* shoot the box pattern
shoot 3 shots
adjust UP 20 clicks (or enough to clearly move the group at least an inch)
shoot 3 shots
adjust RIGHT same amount of clicks
shoot 3 shots
adjust DOWN same amount of clicks
shoot 3 shots
adjust LEFT same amount of clicks
shoot 3 shots
> The last group should land right on top of the first group, and the pattern of the groups should be a nice square box.
IF the pattern is not a nice box, there is probably some slop in the adjustment mechanism.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:40 pm 

ac12 we did that sight check to when we had new guns.

I was a junior Olympian back in MT where I grew up. Was also a "President's 100" in the Army and shot four years at Camp Perry, Ohio on the 1000yd line with open sights.

Think I will get the Crosman under your recommendation!

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:28 pm 

Rick - I have a set of FWB aperture sights for sale - $650.00 delivered. Of course they come with a Model 150 having a Tyrolean stock.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 5:20 pm 

Rick,
I was checking the prices at Pyramid
The Crosman/Gamo comes in a set (front+rear) for $120.
The AF rear sight is $137.
Pretty close in price, only $17 difference.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:40 am 

It doesn't appear as if any of the sights pictured are going to track low enough to use the 79's stock front sight. And I don't think the 79's bbl is the same diameter as the 20-78. You may end up opening one can of worms after the other...

I'd suggest a Williams FP-GR-22- at least it's made for the range of most sporting front sights. I dunno who carries them now, but they were a staple item at S.I.R...

I'll look through my catalogs tonight.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 am 

Thanks Doc! I have used the Williams Foolproof with the target knobs and aperture in the past! D&L is out of stock, so I think I will get it from Brownell's since I get my gunsmith discount! Can't find it in Canada?

Brocock Concept .22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:39 am 

rrdstarr wrote:
Thanks Doc! I have used the Williams Foolproof with the target knobs and aperture in the past! D&L is out of stock, so I think I will get it from Brownell's since I get my gunsmith discount! Can't find it in Canada?

If you talk to Rhonda at SSSO she will probably be able to order it in for you, as long as you have the Williams part number or a link to the part on Pyramid Air's website.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:16 am 

Or you could order directly through the Williams Gun Sight Company web site.... 72.50 u.s. for the FP-GR-TK.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 am 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Or you could order directly through the Williams Gun Sight Company web site.... 72.50 u.s. for the FP-GR-TK.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

They don't ship to Canada! Found that out in another thread!
FP-AG-TK is the peep sight.

Brocock Concept .22