Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Moly on pellets??
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:49 pm 

Me and a friend where wondering if Molycoating has been tried on pellets. We molycoat our 308 bullets for long range shooting and also treat the barrel with moly. I don't know if there would be any benefits in using it in an airgun?. In center fire cartriges it lubes the barrel which means less friction, less pressure so we can push the bullets faster, the magic number for a 155gr bullet is 2950 fps. Also it cuts down on cleaning . I might try to coat a few pellets this weekend, just to see how they"ll come out.
Anyone ever try???
Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:43 am 
Site Moderator

Moly has been tried by shooters on other forums. Results were disappointing, with accuracy issues and messy barrels. Maybe the soft pellet lead doesn't work as well as harder copper jackets when using moly... just a guess.

Most airgunners use an oil type pellet lube for CO2/SSP/PCP/multi-pump and a wax type lube for springers.

I use a wax based furniture spray for springer pellets. It goes on wet and dries to a very thin film. For other pellets I use Slick 50 Lube-1, which has become very popular in the Field Target circles. Accuracy with both lubes has been very good. My .177 HW30S managed 1.5" (5 shot) groups at 50 yards with wax.

I have never tried moly pellets myself so please post your results if you try the experiment.

Thanks,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:59 pm 

As mentioned I might try to molycoat some bullets over the weekend. I molycoat my bullets in a tumbler and have tried lead bullets in the past but can't do them mixed with the jacketed bullets. So I put the lead bullets in plastic pills container with a pinch of powdered Moly and drop the container in the tumbler with the other bullets or when I'm tumbling my brass cases , it works well with the lead bullets ...will see how the pellets come out and will let you know
Bob

Post subject: moly pellets
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 9:14 pm 

Guys I reload centerfire and got the some idea, did the barrel first and tried that to see what would happen.The pellets just dropped out of the barrel, no velocity, maybe 200 fps and that was with a Diana 38 in .177 cal.Had to scrub the barrel and put that idea on the shelf.