Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:11 pm 

Reckon we could do with a piccy there of the supposed rifling.

Even 2 thou oversize I probably couldn't pull that chuck key through.

Does it cut or burnish?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:00 am 

Hi chaps to the first yes its carl, the tool does not cut the rifling but imprints it as it goes as I said its not the best but as a home job I am pleased with the results. on pushing a ball through the barrel yes you can tell that the bore is not uniform ,but you can see grooves on the ball so I think it may work

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:09 am 

Whether it follows the scratches might depend on uniformity, alloy of the projectile and velocity. Testing will show the results.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:41 pm 

If it's an airgun, then I think it's going to follow the grooves just fine... The smoothtwist on FX airguns are just made by pressing grooves on the outside of the barrel..

Video of making the smoothtwist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFcaDYICq8g

On a PB a lot more pressure is slipping past the projectile, so here the rifling has to be deeper to get a grip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anEFsanFGDs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:48 pm 

So that only swages grooves the last few inches... I think the bore would only be a .0005 above the projectile diameter to get a square start into the grooves to shoot ad well ad the video does!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:07 pm 

bigborebrit wrote:
the tool does not cut the rifling but imprints it as it goes as I said its not the best but as a home job I am pleased with the results. on pushing a ball through the barrel yes you can tell that the bore is not uniform ,but you can see grooves on the ball so I think it may work

Could be on to something, some of the best barrels I have come across have had very shallow grooves but not that low.
Proof is in the pudding with easily obtainable tool when wears out, try it and let us know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:07 pm 

Rifling just the end of the barrel, is normally called a Paradox - by Holland and Holland - their process and name. Other used similar processes and called it a rifle choke.
Lancaster had an "invisible rifling", and others have rifled overall bores.- This all happened prior o 1900.

Appears the smoothrifling is merely pressing the outsdie of the bore onto a mandrel with rounded rifling on it. Today, other mfgr's are doing this -somewhat differently of course, all have their own patented method as the entire barrel is rifled by this method - cold formed rifling called "hammer forging", where the outsides of the barrel are hammered onto a rifled mandrel. About any 'form' of rifling desired is doable. for example- Styer, Mannlicher, CZ, Remington nowadays I've heard, but do not know for sure & maybe Ruger. This method, if done correctly, leave a much better surface than button rifling or cut rifling and much more consistent surface measurements.