Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:21 pm 

Hey guys! I'd like a recommendation or two on a good quality shooting stick that would be legal for FT Hunter, as well as tough enough to stand up to field abuse. Where to obtain would also be nice.

Thanks, Gord.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 pm 

Not sure if its legal but I use a Primos Trigger stick. Its slick and works well. Nice 1 hand adjustments.

S&W 357
SDVE9
Baretta Neos

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:47 pm 

Many use similar sticks. As long as you just rest it in the "V" and do not fasten it to the gun, you are fine.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/primos-trigger-stick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:45 pm 

Mac wrote:
Many use similar sticks. As long as you just rest it in the "V" and do not fasten it to the gun, you are fine.

Tim, is a bipod allowed for hunter FT?
What about seat height?
I have never been so sore in my life as since the Hanna match :-)
Stiff ole body still complaining.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:13 pm 

From the CAFTA rules:

B) Portable seats, which are 18” (46cm) or less in height, will be allowed in the Open and Hunter Divisions, provided that they do not have a backrest. Portable seats will be allowed in the WFTF Division, provided they are not higher than 6” (15cm) and do not have a backrest. Portable seats will not be used as an air gun support in any Division.

K) Monopods will not be attached to the rifle in any way nor will they be driven into the ground. They will not have a surface larger than two (2) inches by three (3) inches on the top, to rest the rifle on. The base will not be larger than one and one half inches (1 ½”) in diameter or smaller than three quarters of an inch (3/4”) in diameter. The monopod will not have any addition attachments to it that give lateral or longitudinal support to the rifle, as if it was sitting on a bench or in a notch or channel.

The "V" in these sticks is OK. It does not hold the gun firm and the gun still can rotate left or right. Now if someone were to cut their stock in the same "V" shape for a perfect fit, that would be illegal. Cannot imagine anyone doing that, but stranger things have happened.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 pm 

That Primo's trigger stick looks like the one. I had a Slik Tripod with a similar release on it, and it was far better than constantly adjusting collars.

Thanks! I'll look no further! :D

Oh yeah - what model? Tall or short? I'm thinking short because I'll be sitting on a chair, but I don't always know what I'm talking about. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:41 pm 

Hehehe. Got one on sale!! http://www.ebay.com/itm/190805204955?ss ... 1497.l2649

Good shipping rate, too!

Bought the tall. Sat in an 18" chair, comfortable at about 36". The tall goes down to 31" and if I need to get lower, I will put it at an angle. If I use it in the field and need to stand, it'll go larger, upt to 64". The short goes from 30" down to 20"

Thanks so much, guys!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:29 am 

Voltar1 wrote:
Mac wrote:

Tim, is a bipod allowed for hunter FT?

Walter, you can use bipod when range finding so it's more stable and then collapse one leg when ready to shoot. You'll get used to the motion pretty quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:35 am 

Thank you fellas.
Now to select the length :-)

POI are you allowed ranging? I guess focusing allowed eh?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:06 pm 

In hunter, all range marks must be covered and no scope clicking for windage or elevation is allowed, You can focus for a clear sight picture, but that's it. So a bipod for range fi ding is really not necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:35 pm 

Sorry Walter, I meant focus. A slip of the tongue I guess because I do that in Open class. You are limited to 16X mag. which won't have a narrow enough field of view to make your target snap in and out of focus so ranging doesn't really work well for HFT. The bipod will makes life easier when you are trying to focus instead of having a sight picture that moves around. If you are buying a new scope, I would suggest you check out those with half mil-dots. Like Tim said, most clubs don't allow clicking any more i.e. hold-over only. Shooting at high 800 - 900fps means one mil-dot will take you out to 50yd. so it's good to have one extra aim-point I think.