Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: HW-30S malfunction
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:41 am 

Sorry if there's already a thread which answers the question I'm about to pose but I couldn't find anything with a search:

Picked up the HW-30S I've owned for a few years and a few thousand rounds. Cocked it, loaded a pellet, swung the barrel back up to the locked position, set the safety to fire, took careful aim, squeezed the trigger and.... sort of a dull, quiet "donk" sound and nothing hits the target. Break the barrel open and see the pellet still in the breech. Cocked it again and this time it fired but the pellet impacted quite low. The pattern repeated itself for the next four pellets (misfires once or twice and then fires the pellet but at what I assume is a reduced velocity resulting in the low point of impact) and then I decided I had better stop and get some expert advice on what the problem might be. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: HW-30S malfunction
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:17 am 

Either your piston seal or your spring is pouched...Could also be your breech seal, but not as likely with a HW, I would check that too just for good measure.

If you confirm the brecch seal is still in good condition; disassemble the gun and the problem should be clearly evident by a broken spring or a worn, cracked or split seal. If the recoil of the gun still seems to have "snap" to it, it most likely is the seal, you saying it had a "sort of a dull, quiet "donk" sound" would make me think it is the spring that is your issue.

One would have to look inside to be sure though...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:46 pm 

Well, as long as I don't need some sort of massive spring compressor to take apart a non-PAL HW-30 perhaps I should give it a try! I've never opened up a spring-piston airgun before but I'm willing to learn how.

I suppose if it's a broken spring I'll have to decide whether to order another non-PAL replacement or wait until I finally get a chance to go get my PAL and then order a full power spring or a kit from Vortek.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:33 pm 

The Vortek is great. Get the piston seal with it. A compressor is still handy with the 30 as there is a little screw that holds the end plug in and it's easier to reassemble with a compressor.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:07 am 

I'll found several examples of how to make a spring compressor on the net. They all look like something I could put together easily. Anyone found a particular design that they consider the best?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:19 am 

jgoodz420: it just occurred to me, are you the same person that uploaded this video on spring compressors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkaEldsPwks

That's the design I was thinking of making :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:50 am 

nowhere wrote:
jgoodz420: it just occurred to me, are you the same person that uploaded this video on spring compressors?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkaEldsPwks

That's the design I was thinking of making :)

Yup, thats me a few years back :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm 

If you got time and Money for parts, then make one.. Spring Compressor.
But if you need a quick way..Go to Cdn Tire and get a Pipe Clamp and a Length of Pipe and you are done..
On Sale at ca$ 8.79...Today...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6 ... ?locale=en
Think pipe is about...ca$ 14.99..

So for about..ca$ 26.88 you have a "done Deal"...Do not have to cut, screw, nail anything..
Just screw the clamp onto the pipe and slide the other jaws on, to length and a way you go...

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:09 pm 

2240mod wrote:
If you got time and Money for parts, then make one.. Spring Compressor.
But if you need a quick way..Go to Cdn Tire and get a Pipe Clamp and a Length of Pipe and you are done..
On Sale at ca$ 8.79...Today...
Think pipe is about...ca$ 14.99..

So for about..ca$ 26.88 you have a "done Deal"...Do not have to cut, screw, nail anything..
Just screw the clamp onto the pipe and slide the other jaws on, to length and a way you go...

I dont think I spent that much making mine...Scrap 2x4 and 2x6 maybe $10 at Home Depot, C-clamp $5, bolts and screws $5. It also holds the gun in place so you can work on it very easily...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:24 pm 

A look inside:

The black lines on the side of the piston seal aren't splits just shallow score marks with grease in them. Does anything here look bad enough to cause the misfire problem I was having? I couldn't take a picture of the inside of the compression tube but it looked very good, clean apart from the grease and only minimal wear marks anywhere.

I actually enjoyed digging into the rifle! I made up a jgoodz style compressor because I already had all the parts sitting in the garage.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:44 pm 

Well the spring is quite warped, but with misfire as you described I would have expected to see a snapped and intertwined spring. The far left end of the spring appears to be lacking a flat or seat as well, probably just a chopped spring from the factory that wasn't crushed and ground flat.

The seal looks a little rough, but not terrible from what I can see in the picture, I usually replace the stock seal if I tear down a gun, even good Vortek seals are only $15 or so

Yours is $18
http://www.airgunsource.com/store/index ... 25MM&c=329

The tune kit is $72
http://www.airgunsource.com/store/index ... HW30&c=329

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:06 pm 

Actually the far left (piston end) of the spring has a nicely ground flat on it, it's just not readily apparent in the picture. I assume the piston seal is a "pop-on/off" sort of fit? So long as it's apart I may as well clean, lube and upgrade things a little - both stock and aftermarket parts seem reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:17 pm 

I all way put a few drops of camber oil in before i take them apart if it shoots better its the seal stays the same usually the spring or oil spray out the breach seal .......And looking at it just a guess bad seal, spring looks like crap but i have seen worse ..........replace both now that it apart ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 pm 

Ordered piston and breech seals and lubricant for reassembly. I don't have a PAL yet so I couldn't just order one of the tune kits which included a new spring and the manufacturer's replacement springs available seem to be full power versions. I'll see how things work once the parts arrive and I install them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:18 am 

nowhere wrote:
Ordered piston and breech seals and lubricant for reassembly. I don't have a PAL yet so I couldn't just order one of the tune kits which included a new spring and the manufacturer's replacement springs available seem to be full power versions. I'll see how things work once the parts arrive and I install them.

Sounds like your almost there, keep us posted on how things work out for you