Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Mainsprings...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 am 

I suppose there a lot of factors that lend to the "sprong", the vibration one feels when you pull the trigger on a spring powered air rifle.
The weight of the components of the rifle, the overall weight of the entire rifle and the quality of the build affect the amount of vibration.

I've never heard of anybody replacing the main spring to reduce vibrations but I believe that people have added a muzzle break to reduce or dampen vibrations.
Would anybody else agree?

Something I've yet to try is to shoot my air rifles off of my shoulder to see how loud they really are. Often you can amplifier the sound of the air rifle by resting your shoulder on the stock. It will sound louder than it really is.

I find the physics of firing an "spinger" airgun interesting. When you pull the trigger and the compressed spring releases its energy there's a force forwards and backwards plus there may be a slight rotation as the spring extends. I've even see slow motion videos that show an oscillation in the barrels, imagine?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:44 am 

airhawk wrote:
The buttons in this pic are black...
http://springgunning.com/tune.html

I used to make my own and they were white :lol:

VE7SHM//VE7ZJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:06 am 

I cut up and put an empty beer can between the spring and the piston.
You get a 2 for 1, a beer to drink and a shim for your springer. :wink:

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:48 pm 

If interested in buttons you can get them from Jim Maccari (ARH)
http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/pag ... 251488.htm

Joe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:50 pm 

I've found over the years I've been playing with springers that most of the sprong and twang we here when firing a springer is the direct result of a spring guide that has a sloppy fit in the mainspring. Slathering these parts with tar is only going to mask the problem and cause inconsistencies with temperature changes. Not to mention the possibility of these lubes ending up in the comp chamber causing deiseling. A better end result is getting a spring that fits your guide better, or getting a guide that fits your spring better, or upsizing your existing guide.

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 am 

DocGadget wrote:
I cut up and put an empty beer can between the spring and the piston.
You get a 2 for 1, a beer to drink and a shim for your springer. :wink:

im liking where this is going ;) hmm i have 5 springers and i need what 2-3 cans lets just say incase i happen to botch cutting the first can, sounds like i gotta hit the barley pop store today lmao!!!

i bought a sheet of teflon lastnight that ill hack up today and play with, the benji will be my test subject for now cuz we have a possum problem that i think i might take care of before my dog runs into it!

i got her yesterday from barbas929 (he's the man!) he was kind enough to start sanding for me, i finished sanding her lastnight and pulled her apart. Today will be the fun part ;) ill have more pics as i go but for now i must go stain her and play with that piston!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:26 pm 

thats her sanded (I give props to the dog and her help ;) )and...

That's her in a "semi-finished" state, I don't like the finish :( I tried the spray urethane and I don't like it but I slapped her together anyway just to test out the internals. I pulled her apart and noticed the mainspring was slightly bent so I straightened that out and moved on, the tophat, front spring guide and the back spring guide aswell as the piston and outside of the main spring (the inside is a little hard to get lol) all got polished up. I got a sheet 11"X15" of teflon and started cutting, I did 3 strips 1"X1/4" from the rear of the piston forward and a chunk to match the inside of the piston where the spring resides. I assembled her with the Honda Moly and slapped it back on the stock, I have only put 3 shots throuh it and so far it "seems" less violent then my phantom but again thats only 3 shots thus far. When I take the Phantom apart I will take pics to give yas an idea, I didnt take pics lastnight/today cuz I didnt want to look like a tool lol now that I have a idea as to what im kinda doing Ill document the Phantom rebuild ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:24 pm 

Looks pretty nice, like the pic of the dog getting in there nosing around lol.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:44 am 

Ace wrote:
Looks pretty nice, like the pic of the dog getting in there nosing around lol.... :wink:

Thats her way of "helping" lol she also has a habit of rummaging through my tools for some reason lmao