Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Would you buy a custom leather holster for your Beeman P17
Poll ended at Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:42 pm
No need 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Depends on price and design 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Yes if under $50 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes if under $40 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Yes if under $30 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:42 pm 

I am thinking of getting a P17 and more to have as a model for holsters since it seesm to be a popular pistol on the forum. I may not buy it just for my own shooting so I was wondering if there is a market for a P17 holster to make it worth getting (even though I am told it is a great value i need to start to justify some of my purchases...a little...) just get it but thought I would ask.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:58 pm 

I'm sure they would its a very popular gun :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:12 pm 

Personally i am not into holsters but i can tell you i saw it in stock yesterday at Princess in Scarborough :wink:
Not that i'm trying to sway you or anything like that :lol:
If you head up there in the evening or weekend let me know.If you want we can meet up for a coffee.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:23 pm 

Hey Murray,
Dont forget a holster(R or Left handed) for the old 1322/1377 crosman

John

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:39 pm 

I am not sure but i believe the old crosman holsters may have been two different sizes.I seem to remember having to look for the 1322 one.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:44 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

twister wrote:
I am not sure but i believe the old crosman holsters may have been two different sizes.I seem to remember having to look for the 1322 one.

I made this mistake a few years ago. I purchased two new old stock holsters, one left hand, pne right hand for Crosman 130 thinking they would fit the 13xx. I was wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 pm 

Jeja how are you?

I could certainly do the 1322 or 1377 if there is interest.

Not unlike the 2240..I hear it is very popular here!....here is what I am building for some forum guys for thier 2240 and 1740.

The 1740 is cut deeper along the receiver as the owners will have a scope.

These holster will sit on a tanker harness or detach and go on a belt.

The are also getting a pellet pouch and/or co2 slide to hold 3 cannisters which can also go on the rig or belt.

Fun build and should be done soon so we can get field reviews from the guys.

Left hand would be a tricky build as I would have to use a welt to stand if off to protect the bolt but sure could be done.

there is also a picutre from the forum from
http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic39412.html
which show what I think is an original crowsman holster...Mr. marvin would know. This could easliy be built just from the picture and the gun measurements.

I also have an original 600 holster on loan from a friend and it could be copied if anyoen is interested.

Like I say if you can show me a picture or sketch I will try to make anything..at least once!

Attachments:
AirgunPics.jpg
AirgunPics.jpg [ 203.68 KiB | Viewed 2521 times ]
IMG-20131013-00422.jpg
IMG-20131013-00422.jpg [ 74.79 KiB | Viewed 2521 times ]
IMG-20131013-00421.jpg
IMG-20131013-00421.jpg [ 71.9 KiB | Viewed 2521 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:21 pm 

This is the original Crosman holster for the 1322.

Attachments:
pc5.jpg
pc5.jpg [ 206.24 KiB | Viewed 2517 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:15 pm 

I have some aftermarket crosman 357's and my friend who made them for Canadian tire back in the 70's and 80's also made 1322 holster just like in your picture and he still has the dies I could trace. Add a few requested touches and then you 1322 owners can have custom holsters.
If there is interest I will borrow the dies from him.
A straight cut, oil finished holster like the orignal twister has I could make for 35 bucks. Hand stiched, hand oiled. I could even add some boarder stamping for that price.
I live to serve...let me know.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:06 pm 

It would probably be expensive but it seems lots of people are looking at a holster for their Webley Alecto. It's a HUGE gun so it's hard to find. I used a cordless drill holster when I still had mine.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:10 pm 
Supporting Members

DocGadget wrote:
It would probably be expensive but it seems lots of people are looking at a holster for their Webley Alecto. It's a HUGE gun so it's hard to find. I used a cordless drill holster when I still had mine.

He is making me one for my Desert Eagle......im sure the Alecto would fit in that

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:22 pm 

All I need is the weapon once from someone and we are in business.....I am sure someone in TO has one.

The size of the gun doesnt matter to me..a little more cost due to leather use and some added stitch time for longer seams but still just a holster. This is close in form factor for the frame adn slide etc. as the Deagle (big buttock butt on teh handle but that is outside the holster but needs to be considered fro drawing) If you wanted it boned (shaped) to teh gun I would need the gun or I can teach you how to remotely if you wanted to try.

I have read a lot about guys using power tool cases to hold their odd shaped guns 9and strugglign to deal with scopes etc.) but when you spend 300-400 on a pistol and doodads ...why not give it a custom form fitted one of a kind home on our hip? with any matching accessory case you can think of. I am doing tins, loose pellets, speed loaders, shell pouches, mags, cannisters...and I need one for my soon to pruchased prescription safety/shooting glasses......

thats the sale pitch but short answer is yup I can holster an Alecto if asked.

funny I was poling about P17 adn we all got off into a whjoel other set of pistols! thanks for all the ideas...and for the 3 who poled yes to the P17 so far ..I am going to buy one so..place your orders!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:25 pm 

Murray? You don't wet mold your holsters? When I was a gunsmith I worked for Greg Kramer Holsters in Tacoma, WA for a few years. We used horsehide, very expensive, but used blocks of closed cell foam and a 2 1/2t bottle jack in a jig to squeeze and shape the holster to a specific gun.

From your examples you do some very fine work! :D
Cheers!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:00 pm 

I am still on the cow side of the horse hide debate...yes it is expensive and both hides have thier pros and cons.

And yes I certianly do wet mold the holsters but only when the style and level of retention calls for it.

My comment was that I can build a holster without the real gun if I have picutres and tracings BUT the owner would have to be talked through how to do some wet molding when they get it around thier own gun. I prefer not to work that way but can be done.

Western replica/styles none or very little ..modern style high retention yes and some guys dont like the look and some do.

I still hand bone using my fingers and various shaping tools I have made or collected including a piece of horn (hence boning as you know).

I have just built a press using a wine press hand screw from lee valley and it pushes a lot pr pressure suprisingly..the power of the inclined plane!...all I need for now....and bought 2 nice slabs of gun rubber 1 inch thick but havent had a gun to run through yet but have experiment with some block shapes for pouches etc. I would not worry about an all metal plinker but might not press a more plastic gun....still to be tested really.

Lots of my co-leather workers in the states (like the fella you worked with) who are making holsters for a living have to bring down production time and press the holsters either with presses or vacuum bagging..and still do some final hand detailing.

I still have time to hand bone and I actually very much enjoy the process...I can work up a fair sweat doing so. I did an order for 6 rigs of the pancake holster system so 6 holsters and 6 mag pouches and shaped them all in an hour or so...then rested.

Here are some non-molded and some molded examples..all depends.

Funny you mention WA..when I picked this up again 2 years ago I just missed the sale of the entire contents of an saddle makers shop in WA.......still a dream to find one covered in dust somewhere and snap it up.

Thanks for the supporting words and compliments on my work...(all in progress..lots to learn and practice)

And now it seems 4 guys would go for a P17 some under 30 and some depending on style and price....I guess I have to build one now to show as sample.

Attachments:
des eag fr 400w.jpg
des eag fr 400w.jpg [ 77.89 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]
GSG jstrap fr wgun 10pc .jpg
GSG jstrap fr wgun 10pc .jpg [ 45.9 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]
flatjack hor gun 15pc.jpg
flatjack hor gun 15pc.jpg [ 48.01 KiB | Viewed 2455 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:27 pm 

Very nice Murray!
Did leather work as teen during the harsh winters in Montana. Might take it up for beer money when retired in nine years! That or I should give the whole kit I have to boy scouts!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22