Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

GTA airgun club with range
Yes I would pay membership and take part in a GTA airgun only club with regular access to 50 ft range. 60%  60%  [ 29 ]
Not now but good luck. 10%  10%  [ 5 ]
Man I wish I lived in the GTA. 21%  21%  [ 10 ]
No. 8%  8%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 48
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:18 pm 

Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a serious post to guage the serious interest in forming an airgun only club in GTA which would have basically one night a week access to a legal private 50ft range with at least 8 lanes located in GTA. I need to get a real sense of potential membership to work out the business case before going any further.

It would entail club membership fees (TBD) and individual membership with Canadian Shooting Sports Association (to get you own insurance) that is 27-45 bucks depending on age. Club would pay rent and get insurance also from CSSA as basic expenses.

I say GTA but of course if you live around and dont mind a drive to the big smoke you are welcome.

There would need to be a dedicated core/executive to form the club as a not for profit incorporated entity inorder to sign the lease with the range.

I am in real discussions with range(s) and other clubs that do powder mostly but some air to get guidance and will of course be in discussion with the CFO.

All legit above board and real potential.

Out of respect to the clubs' and ranges' need for discretion about location and activities etc. I cant give specifics. But it is real.
I can discuss in detail off forum only when I know there is serious interest and a group start to actually form up to help make this happen.
Dont PM and ask as I cant/wont say anything more at this point....yes there is parking.

Please respond to the poll and provide any other info (not opinions please) which you think can help guide this along. i.e what you would pay for membership for 1 day a week 7 out of every 8 weeks and 50 foot lanes. Ideas for graduated membership fees etc. If you have done something similar before and can help guide us.

Not a lot of extra space (but some could be negotiated if this really happens) and no flash, no merchandise or snack bar etc. just lanes set up for standing, kneeling and prone. it "cozy" but well lit. work would be needed to set 10M target lanes and lights but that is all possible.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:54 am 

I can say the range is very close to the DVP access.

Spread the word please to your fellow GTA shooters and lets see if this has legs.

Thanks in advance for any help with this project.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:49 pm 

I'd be interested, depending on location and facilities. I'm specifically after somewhere to learn/compete in 10m ISSF air pistol events. (Any suggestions?)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:40 pm 

I am not personally aware of ISSF competition on Ontario. I would hope if we get a large enough membership there would soemoen from the forum with airgun competition experience and knowledge. It is not me. I plink but am also interested in the reaches of the sport. Perhaps try a post on that specific topic.

If you haven't all ready you could look on the FSSA web site to see if there are Ontario chapters/clubs

http://www.issf-sports.org/

you can also look into the lSBA (lakeshore Smallbore Rifle Association) and see what local gun clubs partake in theuir air rifle (and perhaps pistol/) competitions. I am sure there is one or two in toronto.

http://portelginsportsmensclub.wordpress.com/lsba/

As for location and facilities of the range I am looking at it is 50 feet I beleive at least 8 lanes at least (it was late last night when I was there and they were shooting) it is not modern but it is functional (I liked it) and it is located in TO off the Don Valley parkway and TTC. All I can say at this time. The range owner club is motivated to get an airgunclub in and met me more than half way at the first meeting.

Thanks for checking in on the post and spread the word please. Obviously the more founding members the less the inital yearly membership cost (or seed money) to cover start up costs.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:18 pm 

If you happen to vote "No" could you drop a post as to why not. i.e. what details posted so far would cuase you to day no.
example...I would if the range where 100ft. etc.
Thanks if you can and if not that's ok too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:59 pm 

I'd be interested to get some more details as to location and facilities, too, but I think it would be great to have such a club near here...
Any contact with the Gormley group?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:35 pm 

I cant give out anymore details publicly of location other adding east of the don valley and in TO proper.

Private ranges and clubs count on discretion about location and activities for security reasons and that is completly understandable as far as I am concerned. I have promised discretion until I can see there is a serious core then we can talk details.

It is the home range for the club that owns it obviously and they have 2 other clubs using the range.

I dont have any personal contact or connection with any other clubs than this one with the range and am in contact with 2 members of 2 other clubs in TO just to get their advise etc.

There is no more I can say about the facilites, 50 feet, 8 lanes, old established in 60's, cozy (small) not fancy functional, well located, parking, welcoming owners, TO proper, east of Don Valley, on TTC, dedicated night every wek except 1 night off every second month. The night would be Monday. I beleive the hours are wide open after business hours. I will confirm hours of access too.

I am looking into more details about if we can bring non paper targets and traps but I doubt that will be an issue.

I will keep psoting as much more as I can. Spread the word.

This would be not for profit so I gain no cash in the deal just a place to meet and shoot.
if I hit 25 serious yes's I will contact them and we can start to talk dollars and details etc.

Soooo much wishing on the forum about places to shoot in TO and here is one. Just some work to do first.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:45 pm 

Good on you, Plinkercases, for doing the leg work for GTA airgun shooters looking for a place to shoot. The GTA is not in my area, but after hearing so many lament the lack of places to shoot in TO, its heartening to see someone trying to do something about it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:55 pm 

Penage guy
Thanks for the boost.
I am still going to keep on investigating starting a private AG only range with the city and CFO.....someday.
But I was just blown away by this club/range ownerships welcome of the idea. At the first inperson meet they had already voted to do it and he tabled a rent figure before I even asked. Good signs all.
Perhaps you could be a club benefactor!!!
And of course shoot lead with us when in town.
Anyhow thanks again.
Let's see.............

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:49 pm 

Im in toó, i aactually go to a club that basically matches the location that u described and size I won't say where just to respect the privacy that u wanna keep about this range but if it is not the same place I'm still in.
I can hardly go a night a month due to college, family and work but what u wanna do man is so nice but we need pistol lines too, also the club where I go does not allow magazines so find out about that too they say we can only shoot single shot rifles and pistols

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 pm 

Adolfo,
Good your in. We all have to shoot from the established line but we can set a 10m target line on as many lanes as we want at anytime and shoot rifle and pistol at the same time.
I will check on repeater fire and report back.
Thanks for keeping local to yourself for now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:01 pm 

Guy's could you drop a little on the GTA TTC and all these abreviation, I don't understand most of the thing you say. :?: Where would that range be :?: first of all :!:

6mm
Not enough and to many.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:39 pm 

GTA = Greater Toronto Area, so if you lived here you would know but sorry for assuming
TTC = Toronto Transit Commission, again if you lived here you would know
TO = ...Toronto
DVP = Don Valley Parkway

I have said all I can about where it is within Toronto. Those who live here can picture the broad location.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:13 am 

I would love to have an airgun club in the GTA so I can shoot somewhere further than inside my basement. But a lot depends on how much the yearly membership fee is.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:38 am 

Good luck Plinkercases.....I'm 2 hours North of North Bay, so I'm afraid I'm out as a member. But it would be great if members of CSSA affiliated clubs outside the GTA could come in for visit. I know I'd drop some gear in the truck, when I'm down with the Mrs. for a medical appointment.

Good luck !

Gary