Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:12 pm 

Hey guys, I'm looking to "tidy up" my airgun table. Can I store them in the rifle zip up cases that don't have foam in them without any issues? Just like the walmart or leapers/utg cases? Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:43 pm 

Rub them down with an oily rag, and store in a dry place and they should be fine - in or out of a fabric bag. My preference has been to store them oiled up in a gun cabinet, or in a drawer (pistols) with nothing touching the surface. I do have one rifle in a foam lined plastic Plano case (actually a Flambeau or something) but it is well oiled and wrapped in a cotton fabric. I really should take it out and add it to the others...

Duke ))))----//----------==

Air guns? I have a few; but then again, too few to mention.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:00 pm 

As long as it's oiled it should be fine. The foam in rifle cases traps moisture which might induce corrosion in the non-oiled metal surfaces.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:04 pm 

I had a thread a while ago about how peoplel store their guns.
I orignally posted this:

"I am not saying any one is wrong or start a debate just passing on what I learned from other forums. ...and how I am trying to implement it.
The thread below thread from a gun owner site seems to also warn against various materials ...humidity as well plays a big part in the equation...more is bad...seems some guys have no trouble with foam if everything is dry. My house basement is not so dry while the farm upstairs is.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484208 "

then was discussion about airgun materials versus real steel etc. and then more fun chat abour hwo people tuck thier babies in. adn evnironment control etc.

Check it out:

http://www.airgunforum.ca/forums/topic57952.html?hilit=how%20do%20you%20pistols%20sleep

My leather working brothers and sisters (many of whom in states also carry) all agree not to store in leather for long periods especially with humidity and also not to store in certian types of linings including shearling (real or artificial) again do to moisture issues. It is almost unanimous in that world that cases/rugs/bags/hard or soft are for transport. As one guy summed it up "my guns sleep naked rubbed in oil in the safe".

But eveyones conditions are different....safe and secure was the real common approach.

hope some of this helps.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm 

Thanks for the links Plinker.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:34 pm 

I had to get the next size up stack on locker for the farm and I store naked guns in there.
The balance of guns are at home in the smaller cabinet for long guns and the safe for pistols. all with desicant packages/contianers in them.
In the safe at home they are lightly oiled as requried and in socks (the kinds designed to wick moisture away from you old feet) and slotted into a modifed flexible file holder. socks are to protect against scraps in and out of the storage. I dont mind a few though though as I like the character of "working guns" as someone here once said. More concerned about the stocks on the long guns!

Attachments:
IMG-20131008-00387.jpg
IMG-20131008-00387.jpg [ 62.95 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
IMG-20131025-00478.jpg
IMG-20131025-00478.jpg [ 66.69 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]
IMG-20131025-00477.jpg
IMG-20131025-00477.jpg [ 55.82 KiB | Viewed 523 times ]

http://plinkercases.ca/