Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.






Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:11 am
Posts: 56
Hey folks. So I've been getting a little bored with shooting paper. So I've set out looking into SAFE exploding targets that I can make myself at home.

A couple ideas I've looked into is:

1) The vinegar and baking soda in a bottle

2) cap gun caps packed together in a bottle cap

So I'm wondering if any of you have any other suggestions for making small and safe exploding targets.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:54 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Earth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316t0TM1EUU
Or just tape some large rifle primers to a board for the challenge and bang.
Match heads, caps, or home made binary explosives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGrouLA-8Y

Be safe.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 6029
Location: Victoria, BC and Clarkston, WA
dry ice and water in 2l bottle. Stand at least 50' back and wear earplugs. Don't shoot it just wait for it to blow! :evil:

_________________
-Rick
Pardini K10
Brocock Concept .22
3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:28 pm
Posts: 1269
Location: Southern Ontario
Small pieces of side walk chalk hanging from string makes nice puffs of colored powder in the air when hit.

_________________
Airforce Condor 22 cal
UK Webley Patriot 22 cal
Weihrauch 80 .177 cal
Diana 350 Magnum 22 cal
EunJin Sumatra 22 cal 500cc
AirArms 410 22 cal
Telly .177
BSA Mercury 177 cal
Salavia 618
Shinsung 201 9mm
AirArms Tx200 .22 cal
Diana 54 Airking .22 cal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 652
Location: Alberta
Put the valve stem from a tubeless tire into the lid of a pop bottle and pump it up a bit. Try low pressure and work up a bit. Makes a nice bank when they go off. You can also add some flour to make a nice white cloud. Probably easier to re use the cap if you use some good strong string/cord/line to attach it to soemthign so it doesnt go flying off when you shoot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFye13X4Lk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:11 am
Posts: 56
blarg wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=316t0TM1EUU
Or just tape some large rifle primers to a board for the challenge and bang.
Match heads, caps, or home made binary explosives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZGrouLA-8Y

Be safe.


The rifle primers sound like a fun challenge. Does one have to poses a PAL to purchase them?

Cadeau wrote:
Small pieces of side walk chalk hanging from string makes nice puffs of colored powder in the air when hit.

good idea, looks like I'll head to the dollar store before I go shooting next time =)

averagejoe wrote:
Put the valve stem from a tubeless tire into the lid of a pop bottle and pump it up a bit. Try low pressure and work up a bit. Makes a nice bank when they go off. You can also add some flour to make a nice white cloud. Probably easier to re use the cap if you use some good strong string/cord/line to attach it to soemthign so it doesnt go flying off when you shoot it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CFye13X4Lk

That's a pretty neat idea!


Thanks for all the great suggestions folks!
If anyone has anymore, feel free to list off! =)

Cheers!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:11 am
Posts: 56
rrdstarr wrote:
dry ice and water in 2l bottle. Stand at least 50' back and wear earplugs. Don't shoot it just wait for it to blow! :evil:

haha, that does sound like it would be pretty awesome! Though, not sure where to get dry ice from and I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from shooting at it... lol


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 12:25 pm
Posts: 652
Location: Alberta
Jared wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:
dry ice and water in 2l bottle. Stand at least 50' back and wear earplugs. Don't shoot it just wait for it to blow! :evil:

haha, that does sound like it would be pretty awesome! Though, not sure where to get dry ice from and I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from shooting at it... lol



IIRC you could get in trouble for doing that one. The usual term is "Dry ice bomb" even if you dont add enough dry ice to make it explode. Might want to check with the local police to see if it is illegal.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 6029
Location: Victoria, BC and Clarkston, WA
averagejoe wrote:
Jared wrote:
rrdstarr wrote:
dry ice and water in 2l bottle. Stand at least 50' back and wear earplugs. Don't shoot it just wait for it to blow! :evil:

haha, that does sound like it would be pretty awesome! Though, not sure where to get dry ice from and I'm not sure I'd be able to stop myself from shooting at it... lol



IIRC you could get in trouble for doing that one. The usual term is "Dry ice bomb" even if you dont add enough dry ice to make it explode. Might want to check with the local police to see if it is illegal.


Oh it is! I split the seam of a 55 gallon steel garbage can in two! :shock: Blew the lid 70' in the air! Never did find one of the handles?!?!?! This was in Montana, where you can do fun stuff! Closes Police to our home was 45 minutes.

_________________
-Rick
Pardini K10
Brocock Concept .22
3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:20 pm
Posts: 41
Location: East Garafraxa, ON
Plasticine and caps from the dollar store. Take a roll of caps and re-roll them tightly, seal them in the plasticine. You can make any shape you want, I just make lollipop shapes. You get a nice reaction and usually a few shots at each. Plasticine is re-usable for the next time.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:11 am
Posts: 56
BigGoofball wrote:
Plasticine and caps from the dollar store. Take a roll of caps and re-roll them tightly, seal them in the plasticine. You can make any shape you want, I just make lollipop shapes. You get a nice reaction and usually a few shots at each. Plasticine is re-usable for the next time.


I really like that idea! Thanks =)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:23 pm
Posts: 3055
Location: Northern Ontario
You dont need a pal for primers. Be aware, you will have shrapnel.

_________________
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:49 am
Posts: 6029
Location: Victoria, BC and Clarkston, WA
paddyfritz wrote:
You dont need a pal for primers. Be aware, you will have shrapnel.



Don't use primers. I was a dumb kid once and took some of Dad's shotgun primers. Took his framing hammer to the curb and smashed a few. Very loud! The fourth or fifth on I hit wound up stuck in my upper eyelid!! NOT SMART!

_________________
-Rick
Pardini K10
Brocock Concept .22
3 Custom Crosman 2260
Benjamin Discovery .22 w/Joe Hickey stock!
Crosman 150 pistol .22
4 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22
Mrodair CP-1M .22 and .177


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:27 am
Posts: 2514
Location: Vancouver
I can outbid you for not smart with bullets Rick! When I was 13 I got bored for the umpteenth time one sunny afternoon and decided to make a launching platform for a 30-06 cartridge. Bent a coathanger piece into a little hook and stop, fitting it to the shell, and stabbed the long end into the grass. Put a candle under the primer and lit it. Stepped back about 6 feet and waited. About half a minute later I was pretty much deaf, and wiping blood off my cheek just under my right eye. Guess the brass chip bounced off as the wound was clean... and I couldn't find any other trace of the thing. Just a lot of smoke. Between that and about a hundred other idiotic experiments it still amazes me how lucky I am to be alive. Should have learned from the time at age 7 I lit 3 significantly large firecrackers tied together in a pop bottle, spraying the area with glass. But I didn't get cut then so I guess a similar experiment was still needed. Good grief.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:54 pm
Posts: 361
Location: Earth
You DO need a PAL for primers as they are reloading components unless someone gets them for you.
Shrapnel is indeed guaranteed, so best used from a safe distance where they are worth the challenge and will have lost their energy by the time they reach you.

Outdoor target for sure and louder then most airguns, so consider caps as low power alternative if the neighbors will think you're going powder on them.
There's always balloons.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO