Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:34 am 

I was looking for a .22 pnematic air pistol to bring with me moose hunting for taking the odd partridge. The Webley Alecto looked like a great pistol and folks online had good things to say about it. Long story short, I picked up an Alecto in .177 (the price was right) and purchased 2 x 14" .22 crosman barrels from scopesandammo (just incase the first one didn't turn out well). I've had a small metal lathe for a couple of years now (new hobby) and thought I'd give it a go. After a couple of evenings in the garage I had a new barrel for the Alecto. Sorry, I didn't think to take any pics of the lathe work.
Anyways, here are a few pictures of the new .22 barrel in the pistol for a test fit and shoot.
These are a little grainy but you get the idea. 11deg crown on the muzzle.
After adjusting the air bleed on the reservoir to get it up to ~480fps (14.3gr Crosman Premier HP's) with 3 pumps, I sighted it in accross the basement off of some sand bags and made a 5 shot group. I was quite impressed with the grouping to say the least, especially with open sights.
While testing it out, I found that it was difficult to seat the pellets fully into the barrel without using my finger nail and pushing hard on the pellet's skirt. So back on the lathe it went and I cut some of the rifling down to create a some relief for the pellet skirts. Once that was done, the pellets fit snug with a firm press of the finger. I cold blued the barrel, reinstalled it in the pistol, re-chronied and verified zero.
Here are a few pictures of the original .177 barrel and the finished .22 barrel.
.22 is on top
Overall I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out and I now have a potent little pistol that should be up to the task.

Cheers,
open

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:48 am 

Nice work - great results!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:20 am 

I did the same thing with my Alecto (with the much appreciated help from Plasticman) except that I went with a longer barrel than the original .177. I couldn't be happier with it. It is accurate, easy to pump and fast. I got it set right at the 500 fps (which was easy to do) and have a Red Dot on it (will be scoping it soon). Other than my Hatsan AT44 in .22cal it is my go to gun when I go shooting. Love it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:27 am 

As said many times before, its an epic pistol, I wouldn't sell mine for any amount!!

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:37 pm 

Thanks Everhopeful!

bluemoon/mike87gt,
Do you guys have holsters for yours or could you point me towards one that might work? Most holsters I've seen are on the small side and the front sight would get snagged in the nylon. I'd like to get a holster for it, but if not I'll end up carrying it in my backpack and may look into getting a reddot type sight for it (assuming that a reddot wouldn't fit in a holster). Aging eyes and poor lighting arent "opensight" friendly. :lol:

open

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:49 pm 

Contact plinkercases if you want a nice custom leather holster 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:54 pm 

opensight wrote:
Thanks Everhopeful!

bluemoon/mike87gt,
Do you guys have holsters for yours or could you point me towards one that might work? Most holsters I've seen are on the small side and the front sight would get snagged in the nylon. I'd like to get a holster for it, but if not I'll end up carrying it in my backpack and may look into getting a reddot type sight for it (assuming that a reddot wouldn't fit in a holster). Aging eyes and poor lighting arent "opensight" friendly. :lol:

open

Go to Canadian Tire and you will find holsters for drills and nailers hanging up on a back wall (assuming all CT's are laid out in somewhat similar fashion). There are two sizes that I have bought and I love them both. The small one fits my P17 and the 2240 exactly perfect. The larger of the two holds my Alecto with the Red Dot on it like a glove. If I remember right the small one was $9 and the large was $14 so you can't go wrong. They have good wide belt loops and are made very sturdy. You will like them.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:18 am 

No holster here, I tote mine around in the original plastic clamshell :)

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:56 am 

mike87gt wrote:
No holster here, I tote mine around in the original plastic clamshell :)

That has to look funny hanging off your belt :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:14 pm 

Thanks guys, I'll check out my CT and see what they have. Maybe look at getting a red dot for it too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 pm 

opensight wrote:
Thanks guys, I'll check out my CT and see what they have. Maybe look at getting a red dot for it too.

You'll be much happier with on of Plinkercases holsters!
Trust me on that one! :D

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:21 pm 

Bluemoon:
Quote:
Go to Canadian Tire and you will find holsters for drills and nailers hanging up on a back wall (assuming all CT's are laid out in somewhat similar fashion). There are two sizes that I have bought and I love them both. The small one fits my P17 and the 2240 exactly perfect. The larger of the two holds my Alecto with the Red Dot on it like a glove. If I remember right the small one was $9 and the large was $14 so you can't go wrong. They have good wide belt loops and are made very sturdy. You will like them.

Ya know, it's tidbits such as this that make this forum worth $5/month. Add on top of that all the professional tips and advise, and the pleasure and advantages of meeting "local heroes" (love dem dire straits) makes this a worthy value of no less than $10/month ($100 annually). I'd be the first to sign up, and I'd be the first to request membership profit-sharing. Thanks for the tip, BM

Hey Tinker (TOM), please don't feel bad. I do so want one of your holsters, but I have more than three dozen pistols, and there's only one that I'll want to carry around more than once in a blue moon; it's the one I'll carry when out hunting little rascals several times per season. Problem is, I haven't found it yet. It will probably be one of the anticipated dan wesson pellet shooters, tuned to the high 400s and capable of delivering a final blow at close range, as well as delivering a kill hit at ranges a little farther out. When that comes, I'll be knocking' on your door!

Murray (TOM)

P.S. I'd also like a longer barrel and make pumping easier for my Alectro .177; it would be nice to hear from a willing (paid) modder. Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:09 pm 

Has anyone done any testing with the .177 barrel length to see how much longer you could go to get the most ft/s out of 1 pump and what would that ft/s be? With a stock length barrel, 1 pump specs at about 400ft/s and the Ultra version (3" longer barrel) at about 425ft/s. Out of the box with 1 pump, mine shot 405ft/s with 7.4gr Cros pointed hunting pellets and 375ft/s with 7.9gr Cros Prem super point, so pretty close to advertised. I'm sure there would be deminished returns with going too long, at least as far as 1 pump goes. Just curious if there is any info out there.

open

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:15 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
opensight wrote:

You'll be much happier with on of Plinkercases holsters!
Trust me on that one! :D

X2 on that, have one, premium quality, incredible workmanship :prayer:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:48 am 

So, please clue me in as to how these guns (yes, I have one and enjoy it thoroughly on the reange) fit into the hunting scenario. Your partridge must be very patient in your part of the woods -- like waiting patiently while you pump three times and find a bead. Why not take a 2240 or similar -- one that doesn't mind being ready to shoot for hours on end?

$0.00