Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:35 am 

I'm curious about that too.... the 2nd regulator....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:33 am 

Wow!! Did I miss something :shock:

Thanks all for your feedback and support guys :wink:
yes.... including you Murry :roll: :lol:

Like I said above in the intro this was something that I’d been thinking about doing for some time, and as I also said I had all the parts at my disposal minus the one bottle bracket, total cost of this build for me was $5 for the aluminum plate to cut out a bottle bracket.

I didn’t post this in hopes that everyone will go out and build one like it I just wanted to share something that I’m pretty proud of.

Yes I could have gone with a hipack but I don’t want or am I looking for power, that’s easy to do. I’m looking for shot count per fill and consistentancy in the shots as well, and the external reg gives me that ability to adjust its velocity with the simple turn of an allen wrench as seen in the second last pic above on the front of the cp reg.
Also I don’t need to get something to pump a hipack to 2000 or so psi I just piggy back air from my 70cu inch bigger paintball tanks to the 13cubic inch tank.

Another big benefit and I forgot to add this in I can degas my gun anytime I like because of the on/off valve on my bottle, if I’m done shooting for the day or I want to do some maintenance or tweaking I just degas it. With a hipack you can’t do this you’ll need to shoot all the air out if you wanted to get back into your gun to do some work, and I also didn’t have to pin my valve or worry that something’s going to blow out the back of my 2240.

The other bonus I can put the 2240 back to stock form by just getting a front section of the valve and a front tube cap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:52 am 

rsterne wrote:
I'm curious about that too.... the 2nd regulator....

Bob

blarg wrote:
That bottle has two burst discs suggesting a regulation function.
Is there a reason for going with the inline regulator with/over the bottle based one?

OK so lets see if i can explain the second reg thingy :lol:
First things first the bottle reg is stock pushing out around 850psi, with the straight hook up it was way above 500 and that's with a very light hammer spring already installed. So the reasoning behind the second lpr reg was to bring it down below 500 without having to take shims out from the bottle reg and the second reg also gives a better consistency of air in the valve, hope that makes sense. As the gun sits I'm getting 485 to 490fps i will tweak the hammer spring to get it to 495 thats my goal. I'm getting a +/- of 5fps as for shot count i haven't done a full count yet will post that when i do, but i can tell it should be pretty good just from the shots Ive taken so far.

Last edited by Ace on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:00 pm 

Quote:
the external reg gives me that ability to adjust its velocity with the simple turn of an allen wrench

Ooh, now that I like :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:02 pm 

sholo wrote:
Beauty job, Ace. Well done (as usual) buddy! :drinkers:

Well....the "true advantage" of a regulated air supply using that (as you called it) "huge" :roll: tank is super-consistent velocities for a TON of shots...plus, the tank DOES make for a fairly comfy fore stock (I've done a few like that now). If you paid attention to Ace's original post instead of just looking at the pretty pictures, you would have noticed he stated that he wasn't after more power, just more (consistent) shots per fill.

Yes, he could have went the Hi-Pac route, but, to be honest, I think he'll be better off with his current set up. If using the Hi-Pac, you're ramming 2000-3000psi into your valve which means that you will need a much stronger hammer spring to crack the valve open and seeing as Ace is using the stock trigger group (as opposed to a P-rod trigger) that stronger hammer spring will result in much more force being applied to the sear, which in turn makes for a horribly heavy trigger pull on a stock 22xx trigger.

Even if he was using a P-rod trigger/Hi-Pac combo he still wouldn't get the amount of shots he will get with his current configuration....and wayyyy more consistent velocities than the Hi-Pac, too :wink: .

thanks Todd your explanation is spot on perfect 8)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 pm 

Ace, where did u get the aluminium plate from ? For some reason i can't find those kind of things in toronto, i always buy them online and i have to pay shipping :x

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:18 pm 

I got the aluminum from Metal Supermarkets great place for all your metal needs. 8)
they have quite a few locations this one was in Etobicoke.

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Ontario/E ... c2df|1692e

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 pm 

Mario!
Cool, you make the Assemblies! I'll make some brackets! then we are in business! I really like the look of it now, for a bench gun!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:01 pm 

Ahhhhhhhh.... I guess that makes sense about the 2nd reg.... When I made a non-PAL 2240 I took out all the shims in the Ninja regulator (which dropped the pressure to about 450 psi) and cut the hammer spring to only about 1/16" preload and that did the trick, with the benefit of having no external adjustment that could put it back over 500 fps....

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:18 pm 

Quote:
You really,really seem to like to hear yourself talk; don't you? :roll:

Can't you just appreciate what Ace has done; without adding your unwanted 2 cents to the topic?

And you are doing a great job of "trying to be a plick" - actually.

Well, if Ace feels the same way, then I'll apologize to him. As I tried to indicate in my initial words, the intent was not to be critical of the project (I believe my word was "admiration" for his work), but to view it in practical terms as a discussion point.

As for you, perhaps next time I'll take a paragraph or so to tell you what I think of you. :butthead:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:45 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Quote:
You really,really seem to like to hear yourself talk; don't you? :roll:

Can't you just appreciate what Ace has done; without adding your unwanted 2 cents to the topic?

And you are doing a great job of "trying to be a plick" - actually.

Well, if Ace feels the same way, then I'll apologize to him. As I tried to indicate in my initial words, the intent was not to be critical of the project (I believe my word was "admiration" for his work), but to view it in practical terms as a discussion point.

As for you, perhaps next time I'll take a paragraph or so to tell you what I think of you. :butthead:

No worries - I took a much shorter path to tell you what I thought of something like this:

Quote:
t sometimes (and this is not just you) I wonder, considering the audience, who would gainfully follow this kind of build. It seems we're taking the sublime to the ridiculous (if not, to a level that is not necessary to reach a simple goal: to run HPA on your 2240. Why a "huge" tank on such a little carbine?

Condescending and dismissive and insulting - all at the SAME time - quite the hat-trick! :shock:

:hsmash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:49 pm 

So I got some numbers up today, still doing some fine tuning might have a very small leak on my transfer port seal will have to investigate it a little further.
anyways filled the tank to 2600psi just shy of the 3000psi did some shooting and after 25 shots the gauge was @ 2000psi so I'm guessing i should get a little over 100 shots on a full 3K fill. :D
I'm not 100% sure if its because of the Lp reg but this gun is definitely more consistent and shooting way better then it did before, the pic below is a 10 shot grouping at 10m open sights and tank rested only, 8) let me know what you think.
The pellets used were Gamo master point 1.05g unfortunately there the lightest pellet i had on hand for the testing, must make a trip over to Le Baron's :lol:

after 25 shots:

10 shots @ 10m open sights, tank rested. I did not adjust the rear sight elevation first shot landed there so just continued aiming at the 10 :D
pellets used:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:18 pm 

I don't know if there is anything useful to you in this thread or not.... topic43890.html

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 pm 

thanks Bob i remember reading that some time ago, kind of forgot about that post thanks for sharing the link.
would have liked to build a revers block like yours but i don't have the tooling to do so. :(
so after re reading that thread I i have a question for you?
you said that at 3k fill you should get 300 shots, is that correct or did i miss something :shock: :?
how could that be, after only my 25 shots it dropped 500 psi on my gauge.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:53 pm 

Well the accuracy is certainly there!

As for shot count, you should be getting closer to 200+ shots per 3000 psi fill (14.3gr @ 490-ish). My Crosman MK I HPA gets 207 - 210 shots per fill using 14.3 gr ammo @ 497 fps with an 11" barrel, clipped hammer spring (1/2 coil) and regulated to 650 psi .