Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:21 pm 

I've had it less than 24 hours but I'm already tearing into it. :D

As per my earlier thread, I picked up a B4-2A yesterday. It's ugly as sin, but is surprisingly fun to shoot. So I spent an afternoon with some sandpaper and a can of truck bedliner to take care of the ugly bits and picked up a cheap Tasco rimfire scope.

Before:

After:

Mounting the scope, however, has turned up an annoying design flaw with the scope rail. It's solidly attached at the front, where the SKS-style ramp sights are affixed, but is only loosely clipped to the receiver at the rear. Not only does this allow it to wobble, it's not even straight to begin with so I'm running out windage adjustment on the scope.

Could a gunsmith attach a weaver rail to the receiver or mill it to accept 3/8" dovetail mounts for me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:22 pm 

That's a pretty nice rifle.

KILLER-B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:33 pm 

Hey, that looks better. In my opinion, try to fix up the scope mount yourself, it's not worthwhile to have a gunsmith do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:36 pm 
Admin-2-IC

Cool .... it's got the mean look to it ..... nice job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 7:55 pm 

Very very nice look. What kind of truck bedliner did you use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:07 pm 

I've done a stock before with bedliner spray from Canadian Tire, it was a Mastercraft product, and it worked out well. The key is to spray multiple thin coats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 9:37 pm 

Man it looks awesome with that paint job and scope. Looks more like a nice Sniper rifle now!! With a bigger scope it'd look perfect.

I'm planning on "snipering up" one of my rifles pretty soon, a Slavia 630 to be exact. I wanna paint it black, get a better scope for it(I've never had a scope better than a plain old 4x) and probably put a bipod on it too.

Nice job! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 11:44 pm 
Site Moderator

Try fastening the rail with Goop. SuperStore has Goop for $5 per tube. I used it on my XS-B3 rail.

HTH,
Todd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:45 pm 

Thanks for all the tips for the scope rail. I'll try some of them tomorrow.

And yep, I used the same stuff as you did airgunfun, Mastercraft rattle-can truck bedliner.

I'd like to go with a bigger scope but this gun bucks quite a bit and I don't want to go ruining nice optics that aren't designed for springers. In the meantime, this setup was $12. :roll:

Can anyone recommend a nice mean-looking scope that won't self destruct in a matter of months on a spring air rifle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:52 pm 

3-9x32mm bushnel airgun scope

comes with scope rings for .22 / airguns

has paralax focus ring designed for airguns (7.5 10 15 20 25 30 40 50 75 100 + yards)

costs about $85 in lebaron

i have this scope on my 2250.

i also have flip-open covers on it, invest in those too, they are only $15 for a set and give that "professional hitman sniper" look :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:00 pm 

Nice improvement on your gun. Ive been contemplating picking up this same rifle actually and painting it as well. The truckbedliner paint you used, is it textured? If I do get this gun I'll be putting a 4 x 32 scope on it.
Again nice job.

Actually from the pic I have it looks like it comes with sling swivels as well, I'd also be putting on an olive drab sling on it. The gun to me looks very much like a military gunImage

Last edited by losttourist on Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:08 pm 

It depends on how you spray it. If you do one big thick coat it'll be relatively smooth, but if you do multiple thin coats with quick passes (like I did) you get a nice rough texture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:03 pm 

Gun looks sweet! Nicely done!

I had a similar problem with my B3's scope rail, the rear screw in the rail stripped out. If you've got a tap & die set; I suggest going down to CT with the rail and finding the biggest machine cap screw that'll fit through the end of the rail. Drill and tap the receiver to that size and replace the screw.

On a related aside, I find it odd that a gun put together with so much emphasis on durablity and ruggedness would have such a weak-ass screw on the scope rail. On the B3 I also noticed that the forestock screws are too short to be truly effective, but some cyano-acrylate (crazy, super etc) glue down the holes and on the threads fixes that right quick. I really wish the chinese manufacturers would button up the loose ends properly, then again, if they did chinese guns might cost as much as European. :-k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:44 am 

On the subject of tapping the receiver, that's where I start to get cold feet.

See, the B3 already has a hole for the screw whereas the B4 rail just has a semicircular metal band that "clips" around the receiver tube at the rear.

I'm worried about drilling too far and going right through into the spring compression tube. :shock:

Even though the gun is only $74, I think I'll just use goop for now. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:51 am 

I completely understand, I'd be nervous too.