Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Benjamin Trail NP
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:40 pm 

DougP wrote:
Thanks for the tip.
I realize they are illegal but it seems silly to me. I only want to reduce the noise so that it bothers my neighbours less.
-Doug

Your Trail NP loud enough for your neighbors to notice? Mine sounds like someone is maybe hitting a phone book with a mallet. No crack sound at all, more of a dull thump.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:33 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Some neighbours can be a bit, ridiculous. I can't comment on specifics, but for those of us who live in the middle of nowhere with NO local ordinances on guns (only federal and provincial laws apply)- we've had "city people" (of which I am also formerly one) move into the area, then start calling the police when they hear gunshots during turkey or deer season. The ensuing conversation with police, from what I hear, tends to be something like this- "did a projectile hit your house? Was the shooter on your property? Did you see someone shoot over the roadway? You do understand you live in a zoned hunting territory and this is hunting season?"

People really can be a bit ridiculous at times...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:00 am 

The properties where I am are ~ 1acre each, and its rural w/ horses and such so you'd think nobody would care, and they didn't years ago. Now thanks to the media and anti-gun agenda they have people brainwashed to believe that if you have a gun you must be preparing to shoot up a school. Idiots... Point is I can't shoot my suppressed Trail in my yard for long or some old bitty will call the cops. The sound btw does carry, the advertizements are flat out bs, if you're 5 houses down you can clearly hear it, maybe even 10 down if you're listening for it. This leads to my next subject; 22LR ammo, Aguila Colibri, which is quieter than any of my airguns. I mostly use them at night when I don't want to wake neighbors while shooting rats. This ammo is so cool (imo) that I bought a Marlin 925R just to shoot them, and it has fired nothing else. So check em out...
If you want to quiet your gun then you might consider lowering the power. If you're stuck at 500fps them consider altering the way the gun hots 500 so it's much quieter. I have one break barrel which I reduced power on, but still way above 500, and it's very quiet compared to others. If it were modded down to 500 I suppose it would be half again as quiet. There's also another way to make the shroud work, while looking oem in case someone checked it....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:34 am 

I live on the edge of a village on about 5 acres. My neighbours are pretty good - no complaints yet - but if it's an easy mod to reduce the sound level, why not?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:56 am 

DougP wrote:
I live on the edge of a village on about 5 acres. My neighbours are pretty good - no complaints yet - but if it's an easy mod to reduce the sound level, why not?

Because it is ILLEGAL - that's why!

You seem to be determined that you want to have a quieter air gun; this kind of talk is not allowed on this forum - so if you persist, I am sure that the mods will end of deleting your account!

:evil:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:47 pm 

I measured the noise from my Benji Trail NP last night while shooting. The meter was 6 feet in front of the gun, and this was indoors! It only came to 78 decibels max. Outside and away from the gun, it'll be significantly lower. I really don't see this as a problem that neighbors would notice.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:19 pm 

wllm995 wrote:
DougP wrote:

Because it is ILLEGAL - that's why!

You seem to be determined that you want to have a quieter air gun; this kind of talk is not allowed on this forum - so if you persist, I am sure that the mods will end of deleting your account!

:evil:

Yes that about sums it up ......

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:58 pm 

ok, I'll respect that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:34 am 

DougP wrote:
Thanks for the tip.
I realize they are illegal but it seems silly to me. I only want to reduce the noise so that it bothers my neighbours less.
-Doug

Hey Doug, this is very much a no-no in Canada as mentioned. Please be aware that these threads are monitored by authorities and what you keep talking about is creating a prohibited firearm in Canada with significant legal repercussions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:33 am 

Since I'm in the US I can offer info. Authorities can watch all they want... Even if you won't do it out of fear, at least you'll know how. I know I'm the odd one out with this statement; but I think knowing is more important than the end result of doing. I know how to do all kinds of illegal things just because I want to know, plus when the SHTF or the Zombies come you'll wish you knew ....
So ask and I will provide details for when "it" happens, whatever it may be.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:47 pm 

Ya, I think I'll leave it be, but thanks anyways. As mentioned above in the thread, it's a pretty quiet gun any way.