Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Benjamin Trail NP
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:13 pm 

I'd like to shorten/lose the thread-on shroud on mine, any thoughts on a place to get help? :?:

Crosman "vigilante"
Benjamin Trail NP .22 w/3-9x40 Centerpoint

Post subject: Re: Benjamin Trail NP
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:52 pm 

Have you tried removing the shroud?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:56 pm 

That's how I know the muzzle's threaded externally

Crosman "vigilante"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:13 pm 

Check the other end of the shroud, the tapered section should be removable which would allow you to shorten the shroud with a pipe cutter and then reattach the taper.
As for losing the shroud, I suggest taking it outside, covering your eyes and throwing it as far as you can, now it is lost. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:22 pm 

In order to not wreck the finish on the shroud I'll probably wrap it with painters tape before I cut it, though I was hoping to find a place where I could get a muzzle break type piece to swap the shroud for

Crosman "vigilante"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:30 pm 

You might check out this site.
http://www.airgunforum.ca/store/product ... ucts_id=72

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:36 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

What's the issue in pulling the shroud off and putting on a muzzle brake? You can either leave the threading on the barrel in the event you decide to go back to the shroud later, or cut it off an re-crown the muzzle (and lose about an inch of barrel length as a result).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:09 am 

The barrel inside is rather thin and ugly without its shroud... If you wanted to shorten just the shroud you can do that, even making it so short it'll look like a muzzle brake.
The barrel is threaded for about 1 inch so cutting that off would also cut the guns power. Depending on the caliber and power level that is..
Are your guys shrouds in Canada functional? I heard a rumor they weren't allowed to have holes. I was going to say the gun with a working shroud is imo well worth having for its quiet, but if it doesn't work because of some bs law then I suppose I would drill a few holes and make it work. Here in the US we aren't allowed to have suppressors, but the shroud on a Trail is without question a suppressor per the law so we have them illegally already. I always mod them to be better but they work very well either way.
If you wanted a thread-on muzzle brake instead I'm not sure if you could find one the same pitch, but who knows.
I have a Trail barrel/shroud apart here if you have any questions...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:15 pm 

A tko brake may look pretty cool on there :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:18 pm 

Chevota wrote:
Are your guys shrouds in Canada functional? I heard a rumor they weren't allowed to have holes. I was going to say the gun with a working shroud is imo well worth having for its quiet, but if it doesn't work because of some bs law then I suppose I would drill a few holes and make it work. Here in the US we aren't allowed to have suppressors, but the shroud on a Trail is without question a suppressor per the law so we have them illegally already. I always mod them to be better but they work very well either way.

Can you share details regarding improving the suppressor? I think here in Canada they are just empty.
Thanks
Doug

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:23 pm 

DougP wrote:
Chevota wrote:

Can you share details regarding improving the suppressor? I think here in Canada they are just empty.
Thanks
Doug

ANY "improvement" to the suppressor that would quiet the report in any way is highly illegal here in Canada and will get you in a world of trouble if you try it.

There is a very good reason why they are empty here in Canada.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:21 pm 

Mine is so insanely quiet, that I really don't think that adding any sort of silencer mod is required. I'm pretty sure I can fart significantly louder, so not worth bothering.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:31 pm 

Chevota wrote:
Are your guys shrouds in Canada functional? I heard a rumor they weren't allowed to have holes. I was going to say the gun with a working shroud is imo well worth having for its quiet, but if it doesn't work because of some bs law then I suppose I would drill a few holes and make it work. Here in the US we aren't allowed to have suppressors, but the shroud on a Trail is without question a suppressor per the law so we have them illegally already.

I don't believe that that is true; you are allowed to have suppressors on air guns as long as they are permanently attached and can not be removed and used or be adapted to be used on a powder burned in any way. If not - there are a ton of air gunners out there in the U.S. who are using their air guns illegally.

At least this is a much more reasonable policy than our NO suppressors allowed at all here in Canada one... :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:13 pm 

Wllm995: That is a hotly debated topic here. People assume that since they're for sale they must be legal, which my arrest record contradicts. Different story but something I bought as a kid, and I've since seen several items for sale that were felonies to possess. Lots of people like to claim a non-removable suppressor is ok, first off it is not as stated by law which says even if it has to be cut or torched off. Second, that doesn't matter because the Trail suppressor comes right off with an Allen wrench, and all mine come off by hand. So much for that... And the law states that if it can reduce the sound by 1dB it is illegal. Ooops... That pretty much covers everything, including muzzle brakes... So people can argue 'till their blue in the face, but if standing before a judge that is 100% by the book, you're looking at 20 in the big house. That's by the book, but since it's a gray area and people are reasonable, I seriously doubt anyone is going to prison anytime soon, but it doesn't mean it won't happen. All that really needs to happen is if the BATF needs some money, either greed or a budget cut, then claim a need for resources to go after all these illegal suppressors. Or a big step in that direction is if someone uses a Trail suppressor on a firearm in a crime. They won't need to make a new law regarding airgun suppressors, they already exist, they'd just start enforcing them.
DougP: I can tell you how they're made for the US, and how to make them better, but if they're against the law there I can't suggest you actually do it. So for your curiosity only: You can pull up a parts diagram of a Remington "RNP77-RNP22 NITRO EVP" on the Crosman site and see the holes in the shrouds tip. The Trail is actually a little different than the Rem, but the holes are the key. Modding an already functional Trial barrel is simply enlarging the holes and/or making more, and smoothing them for better flow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:22 pm 

Thanks for the tip.
I realize they are illegal but it seems silly to me. I only want to reduce the noise so that it bothers my neighbours less.
-Doug