Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:09 pm 

Big Bore Bart wrote:
Why are you even using the tailstock when drilling a deep hole? :? Lock a piece of stock in the tool holder, and drill it with the drill you intend to use for the hole, add a setscrew, and viola, instant, power fed, reversible, deep hole drill. :mrgreen:

Depends on your tool-holder, Bart! Jim might just have a simple rocker style tool-post.

I am going to build a third breech from 4130N 1" hex material. It'll be for a big bore air rifle. Be using a .375" bolt and a design of the Crooked Barn breech I had a chance to work on!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:34 pm 

Big Bore Bart wrote:
Why are you even using the tailstock when drilling a deep hole? :? Lock a piece of stock in the tool holder, and drill it with the drill you intend to use for the hole, add a setscrew, and viola, instant, power fed, reversible, deep hole drill. :mrgreen:

That is quite brilliant! I have a taig, so I've already made a couple of custom tool holders (the stock tool holder is a simple block of 1" square aluminium, so taig owners tend to start making new ones pretty quickly). I have plenty of stock to make another one to hold a drill.

And the long drill arrived, so once I have the current project out of the way I'll be ready to start work on the breech. Really hoping I can pull this off!

Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:47 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:
Depends on your tool-holder, Bart! Jim might just have a simple rocker style tool-post.

I am going to build a third breech from 4130N 1" hex material. It'll be for a big bore air rifle. Be using a .375" bolt and a design of the Crooked Barn breech I had a chance to work on!

Even simpler than that, not even a rocker:

Sounds like you have an interesting project in mind Rick! I have some 3/4" hex that I mean to try making a breech out of too, but I thought I'd start with the round as it's easier to think about for a beginner like me! 1" hex should be pretty meaty.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:33 pm 

rrdstarr wrote:

Nice that you like that system there Rick. :D Should consider the bolt in 1/2" just in case you ever want a barrel change to a larger bore. :mrgreen: Just open the spacing between the bolt orings larger for larger port sizes over 5.6mm. :wink: :wink:

Whitewolf

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:03 am 

rrdstarr wrote:
Big Bore Bart wrote:

Think about it,,,,,, It'll even work in a rocker. Using a rectangular piece of stock, remove the rocker arc, lock it in and drill the stock. Use a hand drill for the setscrew hole(s). It'll always be on vertical center when reinstalled, aligning for horizontal is a matter of putting the bit in the chuck before locking the toolpost.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:08 am 

Curious if you've actually done this Bart? I know of one fellow who has modified an old lathe to do deep hole drilling (makes his own barrels)...one of the modifications to the lathe was to slow down the power feed considerably.

Might work with twist drills, not sure and that's why I'm asking. Could be worth a try. :)

TIA,

Al

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 pm 

Gippeto wrote:
Curious if you've actually done this Bart? I know of one fellow who has modified an old lathe to do deep hole drilling (makes his own barrels)...one of the modifications to the lathe was to slow down the power feed considerably.

Might work with twist drills, not sure and that's why I'm asking. Could be worth a try. :)

TIA,

Al

Yes, I have used this method. :) The smaller bits require a starter hole, usually made with a center drill. Then I use a stub length first, once the guide hole is established, the longer bits normally run true, if they are properly sharpened.

Here's two of the projects I've done this way.
A side lever breech for my custom .22 pumper.

A steel breech for my 1377 v2

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 10:03 pm 

No matter what you drill always use a centre drill or spotter drill before you drill anything!

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22