Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Stoeger x5 sighted in
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:01 am 

Hi all,

New to the forum, and just bought a Stoeger x5 Synthetic stock up to 495fps (you know being canada and all). Took it out stock and only with the fiber optic sights. Missed my targets quite a bit.

The next day I decided to sight her in and within 12 shots I beleive I have her at near 95%.

I placed a pic of the target.

Attachment:
tmp_20140718_105445461448417.jpg
tmp_20140718_105445461448417.jpg [ 143.01 KiB | Viewed 2346 times ]

Have a good day all.

Browning Leverage .177, Very strong undetermined FPS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:34 am 

welcome aboard. that group will tighten with practice and after break in.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:05 pm 

Thx for the welcome.

Practice for sure, but gonna need to try diff pellets. I am curently using Premier super point lead.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:01 am 

I may be wrong but I believe the Stoeger X5 requires a light artillery hold.
I have one and find it has the most vibration of all my springers.

I'm not saying the Stoeger is junk Vipercanada. It's a good starter airgun but I think you will like shooting other more expensive air rifle with less "sprong".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:20 am 

Stay far far away from pointed pellets also. Theres is no advantage to them bieng pointed. And of all the pellets tested by our members, pointed pellets were the least accurate. Personally I literally threw all my pointed pellets away. If you must buy locally I would suggest crossman hollow point . Still not the best pellet but much better than pointed. Also I have tried many types of stoeger pellets but none were any better than crossman, and nothing else anywhere comes close to JSB pellets.
which by far are the best. If you have money enough to buy in bulk at least 10 tins at a time, they end up costing less than local canadian tire or walmart pellets.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:21 am 

Was always told that you have to pump a whole can of pellets through a new gun in order to break it in...then you can judge how good it is.

Buy a cheap can first, then you can start experimenting with the more expensive ones.

BTW, often cheap pellets can outperform expensive ones in certain guns.

It's a good idea to keep a sample from each tin for future testing in other guns.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:53 am 

I find this discussion very interesting.
So pointed pellets are less accurate? I would think that the ballistics would be better than a hollow point.
Also I'm interested in the "break in period". Most of my airguns haven't been shot enough to be "broke in".
I need to get busy.

Oh any another tip, don't clean your airgun except for when you purchase it.
Manufacturing goo may be left inside the barrel but airguns don't have the corrosives that firearms do.
The lead coating from firing lots of pellets actually improves your airgun.

There are a few more do's & don'ts about airgun maintenance too. If you have questions use the Search function or simply post you question.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:34 am 

The break-in period does seem to vary from gun to gun and possibly barrel to barrel. I think springers need a while for the power-plant to settle in to it's final power level and consistency, SSP don't seem to have that problem. I just replaced the barrel in my 953. The original 'generic' barrel was definitely showing signs of improving through the first couple of tins of pellets. The new LW barrel has stacked pellets from the first shot.

Cleaning airgun barrels seems to be contentious. I guess it may change on type of gun and how much crap gets into the barrel. With my CO2 and SSP pistols I've seen cases where accuracy has gone downhill and cleaning the barrel has improved things. I may be guilty of over-lubing and getting oil transferred into the barrel. I would think that a springer rifle where lube is very minimal/non-existent (at least that might get into the barrel) might keep the barrel much cleaner maybe? Then there's the question of what's on the pellets themselves, some seem very clean others look like they have a coating of graphite powder. Not sure how that might factor in to keeping the barrel clean.

I guess the general guideline would be don't clean the barrel unless it needs it, but you might not know it needs it until you clean it and see if it improves!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:42 am 

I apologize to Vipercanada for hi-jacking your thread.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:39 pm 

I.use super h point pellets for work. I have the x 10 so it's a bit faster but as stated this gun can be very hold sensative. I tested fifteen pellets in mine and honestly found the to all group half inch at fifteen yards off hand. Crosman premiers in the mix too. Enjoy your air rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:10 am 

SureShot wrote:

I'm not saying the Stoeger is junk Vipercanada. It's a good starter airgun but I think you will like shooting other more expensive air rifle with less "sprong".

Hi,

I agree Sureshot. The sprong is really bad. I will be looking to dismantle it and clean and tune her up as much as possible. I am looking to purchase the Optimus from Crossman, or a Umarex Surge, or Ruger Airhawk Spring piston. Got lots os reading to do before next purchase.

Viper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:37 pm 

roger r. wrote:
Was always told that you have to pump a whole can of pellets through a new gun in order to break it in...then you can judge how good it is.

Buy a cheap can first, then you can start experimenting with the more expensive ones.

BTW, often cheap pellets can outperform expensive ones in certain guns.

It's a good idea to keep a sample from each tin for future testing in other guns.

I found that to be true as well, the Grizzly pellets 8.6 gr @ Prin. auto do really well in some of my guns. My new P17 loves these more than RWS or JSB.

Crosman 1377
Chinese Grizzly Scout .22 from PA
Beeman P17
Webley Hurricane .22

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:55 pm 

I'm with joe hickey, JSB changed airgunning for me. Those darn crosman tinned pellets were so hit and miss on QC, I gave them away. If you enjoy shooting and airgunning, save your money! I personally find European rifles WAY better then off-shore types, which is what big box stores mainly sell. This is a very addictive hobby, so don't say no one didn't warned you. Lol

Welcome to CAF

Artemis CR600W .177
Diana Stormrider .177
Seneca Dragonfly MK2 .177

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:15 am 

Vipercanada wrote:
SureShot wrote:

Hi,

I agree Sureshot. The sprong is really bad. I will be looking to dismantle it and clean and tune her up as much as possible. I am looking to purchase the Optimus from Crossman, or a Umarex Surge, or Ruger Airhawk Spring piston. Got lots os reading to do before next purchase.

Viper

I picked up a used Crosman Phantom and was quite surprised with it.
It's a "tack driver" and I find it very satisfying to shoot.