Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:45 pm 

So I got my reg today. Installed according to the YouTube vids. Vent hole and the whole 9 yards. It was set to 125 bar from Robert. I have a 36ft/lbs 22 cal s510.
Results were depressing. I would get 3 shots in a row at 926.3-927.2. Then I would get a couple 600 fps. Doh! I've assembled and disassembled this gun more than I care to discuss. I have now been trying it on 105 bar. (1/2 turn). Results just as disappointing. Any help would be appreciated. I do not want to bother Robert if it's something silly. Deburred vent hole and polished. No nicks in orings. Cleaned everything. Thx.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:09 pm 

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your reg. The only thing I can suggest might cause the power swing, is when the gun is first filled, there might be a few shots off reg speed, and after the reg cuts off, there might be a rise, then a regular decline as your air runs out. At 900 plus fps the reg will cut out rather soon in .22 cal. The rise after cut out is due to, a, not so optimal settting of the hammer spring or valve spring. If, however you are getting power surges during the shot string while still within regged pressure, then I have no clue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:36 pm 

Here is a 30 shot string with reg set to 105

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:37 pm 

Call Robert!
If it was my reg I would expect a customer to work with me FIRST to resolve an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:11 pm 

I talked to Robert before ordering. Great guy. He does get bombarded with tuning questions and his phone is busy all the time. I want to try and solve this myself if possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:16 pm 

Posting on a public forum is not fixing it yourself. I would not be impressed if I were he

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:35 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Posting on a public forum is not fixing it yourself. I would not be impressed if I were he

I've met some real great guys on this forum and a couple real miserable ones who choose to post in a thread but not contribute in any way. A couple things I'll note: First, You are not Robert so stop suggesting how Robert may feel. 2) I got the impression from him that talking customers thru instals consume a enormous amount of his time. So yes, I am trying to figure this out by myself with the help of experienced forum members that may have been thru the same process. Isn't that what forums are for?

If you have a beef with me. Please pm and stop clogging up my thread. Thx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:39 pm 

The subject line is perhaps not the most accurate portrayal of the intent of the thread.
Mr. Lane presents himself as one who is most interested in sharing his knowledge to the general public, surely he would extend that offer to a customer, however humble so as not to bother him.
Perhaps mail Robert a link that he may chose to sort out the problem if he were aware of it.
All eyes are now curious of the cause to be here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:40 pm 

Is the pressure gauge reading reg pressure? If so write it down each shot as accurately as you can.
Pressure should be the same every shot. If not something about reg needs addressed
If pressure is steady then maybe issues with hammer strike etc.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:47 pm 

There is lots of talk in Roberts very detailed manual about reducing hammer strike and or increasing valve spring tension. This is all French to me. I'm considering just paying an experienced tuner to sort it out if I can find soneone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:32 pm 

I was considering one of his regs and I watched a lot of his utube vids on regs, very informative and worth looking at to help set up and learn about how pcps function in general.
https://www.youtube.com/user/robertlanedesign

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:30 pm 

I was f very unfamilliar with reugalotrs just a while back.
I ordered an altaros regulator for my hatsan at44.
I had many issues at first and ended up disassemble it entirely.
I managed to resolve the problem by myself by reading a few treads here and there.
I suggest that you wathced a few vids from robert lane that might help you.
If you dissemble your rifle many times like you state i suggest to not be affraid to resolve the problem yourself you might learn a thing or two.

But like joe hickey said it takes a few shots to settle. Give it a few shots string before anything else.

Hope that could be informative

Weirhauch HW100 .22
Gamo Expomatic .177
Benjamin Marauder DougP custom stock
Theoben SlR98 .22
AlEx Custom gun .22 (JezX built masterpiece) :)
Hatsan Atp2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:55 pm 

I think you need to give more info:
How was the shotstring before the installation of the reg?Any problems with the function of the gun?
Have you had the reg apart?
Rob tests each one for function and sets the desired pressure as well as includes a plenum spacer.
Is the breath hole between the orings when the reg is installed?
The firing pot needed to be removed and it locates the valve and spring in the gun, double check valve function.
Is the hammer hanging up for some reason since dissasembly?
Chronograph functioning reliably ,gun groups poorly at 30 yds. now ,good before?
Is the transfer port oring in place?
The group needs: [ Rob will likely ask too]
your starting and finishing pressure .
pellet weight
desired energy level/velocity

Check the guage as Walter said ,is it consistent ,it will display regged pressure the value may be off a bit, but it will hold steady if you fill to 190 bar ,it will hold all the way down to you're new set point..which should give you 45 to 50 shots at 105 bar easily, I would think.
Rob includes spare seals you could go through the reg. but I would leave it near the last.
It's fine tooth comb time,go through all these items possibly one at a time if you want to know what you fixed!..kelly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:04 am 

Pumpkinguy wrote:
I got the impression from him that talking customers thru instals consume a enormous amount of his time.

If "Robert" has no time to talk to you then don't buy his products. More fool you. I have 2 of Voltars regulators fitted to a couple of my rifles. I had a small problem with one of them that turned out to be a tiny nick in a seal. He was more than happy to help with that problem. That's called customer service and is what we have come to expect from reliable and trusted suppliers on this "public forum".

"To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:12 am 

First of all I didn't even know Voltar made regulators. If I did, I would have ordered from him. Whenever possible I prefer to buy Canadian.
I have talked to Robert via email. He has been very prompt in getting back to me. Unfortunately he has very little advise to offer. He wants me to send it back and he will send a new one or refund my money. A cash refund would leave me with no reg and a vent hole drilled in my tube. At this point I just want to send the gun to someone in Canada that can trouble shoot/set up properly.