Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:09 am 
Site sponsor and moderator

A box full of old clothing sure makes a good silent & safe pellet trap for me. :wink:

Attachments:
HandyBox002.jpg
HandyBox002.jpg [ 84.55 KiB | Viewed 1261 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:47 am 

I use an old rectangular brownie baking pan with about 1.5" of duct seal. It has no problem stopping pellets including from my 18fpe .22 HW100. Quiet, no mess, and the paper targets stick right to the stuff so I don't have to actually hang a target. I clean it out once a month and start again.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:00 pm 

It's not a factory-made trap, but it is fairly 'real' in the sense that it'll stop anything I have. I found a 1/8" thick stainless square while out for a walk this summer. Part of a commercial lamp fixture I think. Trimmed it down (20 minutes with a hacksaw) to about 17cm x 25cm and built a box around it out of expanded PVC sheet and whatever else was around. Pellets hit the plate and drop down the face into a slitted 1" diameter, slightly spread open Cr-Mo tube (leftovers from my machining days, a scrapped mountainbike fork blade) which is glued to the base of the plate with epoxy in back and screwed to the plywood base at the ends. The very much flattened pellets slip around the circle and smack back into the bottom inch of the steel plate, bouncing off and landing on the rubber mat in front. I shake it out once in a while. Lots of duct seal around the edges. Carpet scraps on the inside side walls and over the back of the steel plate. So it's pretty quiet.
Attachment:
steel_trap_inside.JPG
steel_trap_inside.JPG [ 81.49 KiB | Viewed 1246 times ]

Attachment:
steel_trap_with_target.JPG
steel_trap_with_target.JPG [ 87.25 KiB | Viewed 1246 times ]

The front is two squares of expanded PVC sheet about 17.3cm x 18cm, spaced about 1mm apart so can drop targets into place. Target glued onto the front, then a hole cut in between the 2 and 3 rings so it approximately lines up. I never hit the white any more so no worries about damaging the surround, and from 10 metres it looks fairly close to a solid target, unless it's a very sunny day, then I see the upper rounded shadow. If I'm being fussy I can always throw a light into the trap tube. The trap has a metre-long 1/8" rod in the base so I can pull it out of the 1.5 metre deep square tube it's mounted in for hanging off my porch roof, making changing paper easy enough with the front of the trap hanging out of the tube. There's an 11cm x 11cm hole cut in a piece of plywood hanging in the bathroom window to shoot through, leaving just sight lines enough to see the full target from my shooting position in my workshop. Can't see the tube at all so there's no way for a pellet to miss and go wandering across the alley.

Bit of work getting it made up but it keeps the neighbours happy as they can't hear a thing, meaning I can practice most times of day when family is out and it's safe to shoot through the hallway. Used to have a similar trap in the square tube with a slanting 1/16" steel backer but that started to show signs of deformation. Even with a 1" plywood end cap on the tube that worried me a little so it was nice stumbling across this 1/8" steel. My stuff is all sub-PAL so that should last approximately forever.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:13 pm 

GerardSamija wrote:
should last approximately forever.

What is your approximation ratio? Perhaps it will only last halfway to forever, how long is that! :P

I'm just being cheeky.

The cardboard box I posted is pretty much retired. I have a duck trap from Princess Auto, a Gamo Rocker, and the Crosman one with the curtains (piece of crap). Also a homemade wooden trap which we use for BB guns - two layers of curtains made from denim - very effective for stopping slingshot quietly, though BBs are wearing through the curtains a bit. I'm thinking I should add a layer of silk to the front curtain?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:32 pm 

I made some cool traps last weekend using supplies from work (FREE)
Basically just 2x4s chopped into 16 inch sections
I nailed up a few T's to make legs, used 2 more boards to tie the tops and bottoms together and then nailed the tops of 4 folded denim legs (16 layers of denim) to the backside of the assembly
The pellets from my full power .22 97KT don't even penetrate the first layer, the just hit it and drop down!!
Ill post a pic tomorrow

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:03 pm 

Chevota wrote:
I use an old bath towel rolled up like a sleeping bag, meaning folded lengthwise, then rolled very tightly. Then secured w/ 2-3 straps of duct tape. It makes a tight cylinder that catches all my pellets. I always shoot into the end, and it's virtually silent and hold a lot. I originally made it for behind my crony, but it works well for targets or whatever. Wrap two up if you need a larger diameter...
Regular store bought traps are so annoyingly loud so I refuse to use them, not that they'd survive long anyway.

Hehe...hi _Chevota...

you wont beleive it just baught a "proper" pellet trap 17.5 cmx17.5cm but loud like an Marshall amplifier...the whole construction is made to vibrate and that amplifies the already loud sound level....not cool at night when shoooting indoors.....Books are mens best friend...

Diana pistol P5 Magnumx2 in .22 cal best breakbarrel pistols in the world
Zoraki HP-01 .177 cal Multipump precharged gun
Panther 31 classic .177 cal. rifle
Diana mod.350 Magnum .22 cal - the cannon-

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:15 pm 

years ago my father made me a pellet trap. It was a simple square box, with a single sheet of tin rested on an angle between a few nails. Sand was at the bottom of the trap. So basically you shot at the box, it hit the 45 degree down piece of tin, and bounced into the sand. Worked great until the sand filled up with lead bits and things started ricocheting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:26 am 

I finally got around to trying the denim curtains with pellets. Nice and quiet, and I can even re-use the pellets since they don't deform :lol:

The first layer is getting penetrated though, so I think I may try to get some slicker material at the fabric store as the first curtain layer.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:34 pm 

gctkaz wrote:
I finally got around to trying the denim curtains with pellets. Nice and quiet, and I can even re-use the pellets since they don't deform :lol:

The first layer is getting penetrated though, so I think I may try to get some slicker material at the fabric store as the first curtain layer.

Hi,

just be carefull with pellets you reclaim because sometimes the deformation is not visible at first but might damaage the barrel once shot again...lead is tricky....

velvet would be also a nice curtain material but I guess expensive....

Who would say that there is no room for shooting in Canada :roll:

I know....a city is a city, and neighbours are neighbours....

Regards.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:32 pm 

Finally took some pics of what I use

The fronts with cardboard target or hanging pop bottles

You can screw pop bottles along the outer frames

The backside

Pellets have only gone thru 3 out of 16 layers of denim so far

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:01 am 

Chevota wrote:
I use an old bath towel rolled up like a sleeping bag, meaning folded lengthwise, then rolled very tightly. Then secured w/ 2-3 straps of duct tape. It makes a tight cylinder that catches all my pellets. I always shoot into the end, and it's virtually silent and hold a lot. I originally made it for behind my crony, but it works well for targets or whatever. Wrap two up if you need a larger diameter...
Regular store bought traps are so annoyingly loud so I refuse to use them, not that they'd survive long anyway.

Agreed....those regular traps are like sound amplifiers....and last very shortly.....mine (Umarex) is a piece of s.....t
deformed like Quasimodo s back :mrgreen:

Books are in my case the best solution....currently shooting at the "You can be the richest man in the neighbourhhood within a 3 month period" (Loose translation from Croatian) :axe:

Never thought what ingenuity is put in place when I started the topic 8)

@Chevota.....you re a good mechanic....I d need a few advices regarding my weapons (piece of cake for you) -would you mind me sending you 2 questions on th PM?

Regards to all and have a wonderfull weekend all of you my plinking friends....