Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:36 am 

Often it happends that we do not have time or it s simply bad weather and we re shooting indoors ; attics, basements, myself (would not recomend) sometimes even in the living room.....

Along with other precautions while practicing indoors shooting, a good pellet trap is essntial...

Well, in lack of a pellet trap a bunch of old books will "eat" each and any pellet fired at it and retain it...just make sure that the books are thick enough and in case of low powered guns make sure covers are not too hard to avoid richochet.

I know it s sounds sacrilege to shoot at books but in my case and it s books of types..."how to change your life in 3 month a be a new person"...."how to loose 20 pounds....." etc...so it s no great loss for human knowledge :wink:

you all have a wonderfull day...greetings from Europe....

Ronand

Diana pistol P5 Magnumx2 in .22 cal best breakbarrel pistols in the world
Zoraki HP-01 .177 cal Multipump precharged gun
Panther 31 classic .177 cal. rifle
Diana mod.350 Magnum .22 cal - the cannon-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:48 am 

phone books like yellow pages work the best :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:19 am 

I have a box that my Kuerig came in about 16x16x16 inches jammed with old sheets and comforters and i have shot thousands of pellets into it with my .177 venom doing 902fps. I shoot all 4 sides and have had to replace it with another box when the cardboard was gone. It is nice because it has a handle on top to carrry or move it. I clean it out every so often and reclaim the pellets...maybe I'll melt down for sinkers one day. The rags inside get a bit tore up but I flfluff them up and stuff them back in and I have never had a pellet go thru yet. I shoot in my basement in winter when it is really cld out at about 35 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:40 am 

Ronand wrote:
I know it s sounds sacrilege to shoot at books but in my case and it s books of types..."how to change your life in 3 month a be a new person"...."how to loose 20 pounds....." etc...so it s no great loss for human knowledge :wink:
Ronand

Finally! A use for those self-help books!

Nothing works and I don't know why.

Two lathes and too many projects

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:53 am 

I use a big cardboard box, around 16" X 30" from the top, then alternated layers of old jeans cut into pieces, newpaper, and cardboard layers. The box started about 16" high, but I just cut her down and lapped over the piles of stopping material once it got about 5" thick. Does a great job, and very quiet when hit!

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:04 am 

Gonna buy me a proper pellet trap but the good thing with books or yellow pages one can see the behavior of the pellet on impact as well as the penetration power with different ammo.... :drinkers:

cheers 2 alll

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:11 am 

Milk crates work well too.I used a coat hanger for the denim (not pictured).
I used a threaded rod to hold the targets.

Attachments:
20130901_084258-1.jpg
20130901_084258-1.jpg [ 27.01 KiB | Viewed 2434 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:17 pm 

twister wrote:
Milk crates work well too.I used a coat hanger for the denim (not pictured).
I used a threaded rod to hold the targets.

Hey twister, I have been thinking of doing that very thing, with a couple of layers of canvas I have lying around. Where do the pellets end up? I have some old carpeting that I want to leave a partial roll in front ant the rest hung up behind.

Crosman 1377
Chinese Grizzly Scout .22 from PA
Beeman P17
Webley Hurricane .22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:13 pm 

Most of the pellets just fall through the bottom.Never had a pellet penetrate all the denim.Some will fall out the front but not come back .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:24 pm 

Cool, I was concerned about cleanup. Time to experiment.

Crosman 1377
Chinese Grizzly Scout .22 from PA
Beeman P17
Webley Hurricane .22

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:24 pm 

So I guess I am a terrible person for shooting at books containing actual knowledge...

They were free for the taking in the lunch room at work, so I just put them to the best use I could think of..!

I have collected some worn-out pairs of jeans, so I will replace the newspaper with my old jeans, the newspaper makes a terrible mess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:05 pm 

gctkaz wrote:
So I guess I am a terrible person for shooting at books containing actual knowledge...

They were free for the taking in the lunch room at work, so I just put them to the best use I could think of..!

I have collected some worn-out pairs of jeans, so I will replace the newspaper with my old jeans, the newspaper makes a terrible mess.

Son, You have Our Collective blessing and forgivness, as well as understanding for your actions :D In lack of books in mood for spitting some pellets I d shhot the bloody top 10 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:25 pm 

Good god REALLY Cardboard Box. Scrap wood is everywhere, make a simple box for security then line with what ever you choose. I use a 3/4 plywood box from a project from years ago 24"x24"x8" with a piece across the center with a top plate to put plastic army men on. I have thick rubber as a backer but used carpet in the beginning. Haven't had a pellet go through it yet. Made one for a friend from scrap 2x4s from the contractors building the house down the street. They couldn't get rid of the scrap fast enough. Just look around there are always better things than just a cardboard box or at least line the back with the wood.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:38 pm 

Just tested out a cube of pinewood as "pellet eater&absorber"....works fine with pine since it s a soft wood-nor tois it heavy...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:09 am 

I use an old bath towel rolled up like a sleeping bag, meaning folded lengthwise, then rolled very tightly. Then secured w/ 2-3 straps of duct tape. It makes a tight cylinder that catches all my pellets. I always shoot into the end, and it's virtually silent and hold a lot. I originally made it for behind my crony, but it works well for targets or whatever. Wrap two up if you need a larger diameter...
Regular store bought traps are so annoyingly loud so I refuse to use them, not that they'd survive long anyway.