Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:11 pm 

Search queries for adding a butt extension, stock too short, how to increase stock length, diy stock addition, scope on short stock, taller users and scope, uncomfortable rifle handling, cutting off arms to suit scoped rifle.

Decided to create this simple do-it-yourself guide on how to extend the stock on a rifle as I couldn't find instructions in the forum. I had seen what Ace had done and quite liked the looks of it. The end result was better than expected, the thing is there firm and solid. This is a simple mod and 100% reversible (only two screws). The trick is cutting the wood but I was fortunate to have been given a table saw a few days prior to doing this. I suppose a jigsaw would work, along with some sanding but I'll leave it up to you to decide on your fave method. This was done to a Daisy 953 but should be similar to most rifles.

WHY EXTEND THE STOCK LENGTH?

The addition of a scope will often force you to move your head towards the back of the rifle. For taller users this could be an uncomfortable, unnatural position, especially on a rifle that already has a short stock like the 953. Out of frustration I reached over for the handyman's second best friend, the cousin of the duct tape: electrical tape that can be removed easily without leaving glue behind. An old folded up pillow case gave me 5cm which was ideal for my arm length. It improved my accuracy as I was no longer uncomfortable holding the rifle. Helped with my breathing too, which is key for target shooting. I recommend experimenting with different lengths to see which works best for you, as 5cm may be too long. Having determined the right length that worked for me I set up to replicate what Ace had done.

MATERIAL LIST

I improvised as I went along as I had nothing to base on aside from the pics posted by Ace. The wood came from a $6 birdhouse kit that I had bought from Rona and never used for the purpose. It's 1/4" thick which worked out great. It's very lightweight but strong and has a nice wood grain to it. Next on the list were the spacers. I had no idea what to use at first and scrounging around the house I came across an extra male electrical connector, a leftover project from my trailer. The sleeve that goes around the connector is a good looking chrome finish, strong and the right diameter. And best of all, the perfect length that didn't require cutting. Only having one I made a quick trip to B&E Electronics in south Calgary to buy another. Only $3.50 each and it comes in smaller sizes too. Most electronic stores should have these. Right next to it was Bold Supply where I found the 3" screws with the exact thread as the short stock ones. A buck for the pair. That's it, only 3 items needed.

- 3" screws to replace stock ones (next smaller size is 2.5")
- 2 spacers
- 1/4" wood
- drill
- table saw (or your choice for cutting the wood)
- sandpaper
- a very glittery pencil

GETTING TO WORK

- Start by removing the two screws at the end of the stock. The butt plate will come right off.
- Place butt plate on top of the wood and trace lightly with a pencil. You get better results using one with lots of glitter (just don't be caught using it)
- Bring it to your table saw and slowly and gently mould it along the lines, ensuring you don't lose any fingers. I kept the blade just 3mm above the height of the wood. I took my time and ended up with a smooth, nicely curved piece that matches the butt plate perfectly. A jig saw may work too and may be safer. The only injury here was a nick to the wood in a moment of lapse of concentration. I didn't want to recut so left as is.
- Sandpaper the edges to make it smooth.

This takes care of first piece of wood, the wider one that goes against the stock. The next piece is a bit harder to do as I wanted for it to sit inside the contour of the butt plate. Why? Because if you decide to use the same size as the first then you have to carve the wood to compensate for the raised oval shape around the screws. I thought this would be harder to do than to cut the wood to fit inside that oval. It took me a couple of tries but it is in there firm. Of course a different rifle may require a different approach. In the case of the 953 I traced the oval shape with the very glittery pencil borrowed from my 5 year old and then guessed where to cut by drawing contour lines 3mm inside. An easier method could be to cut a piece of cardboard to fit, then use the cardboard as a stencil to cut the wood, but I like to do things the hard way.

The glitter laden pencil is the star of the project.

My wood cutting skills surprised me. The smaller wood piece sits in there perfectly and firmly, contributing to a more stable setup. Maybe I shouldn't be too proud of my cutting skills. That nick shouldn't be there. But at least I still have my trigger finger (yes, seen first-hand what table saws can do to fingers)

Once I had this smaller piece cut and inserted it in the butt plate I drilled the screw holes. Placed the other, larger piece flush with the butt plate and drilled again. This ensured a perfect hole alignment. No carpet was harmed during the drilling.

Then I carved the "moat" in order to better fit the spacers. This is the part I struggled with a bit and it wasn't a perfect fit, looking kinda poor. Something I may have to redo later on as I hate to see the rough cut around the spacers. I made it 2mm deep and the spacers sit nicely.

The protagonists (minus the glittery pencil as it was causing my eye to hurt and my manhood to be questioned)

It's a great feeling when all fits together nicely. can't get over how nice the wood cut was. And I have very limited table saw experience (this was my first non-straight cut, first ever carving, something I didn't know table saws could do till I had the bright idea to try it)

The end result: $8 project that is sure to save me big in place of repeated trips to a massage therapist. My neck no longer hurts as I contort it in order to find the proper eye relief. My accuracy with the scope has improved. And best of all, this rifle only fits me so no one else in the house gets to touch it.
Debating whether to paint the wood black or at least varnish them. As long as you hold on to the stock screws it would only take a minute to revert it back to stock. As stated above, 5cm may be too long for some, so ensure you try out what works for you. If you follow this guide, please post pics of your setup. I have 2 other rifles I may do the same to and would like to get inspiration from you (hopefully 10 fingered) fine folks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:28 pm 

Wow, nice work on that! The wood cuts are amazing. If you paint that wood black, it would look like a factory upgrade.

FX Streamline .22 - Optisan Mamba Lite 4-16X44
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .22 - Bushnell Elite 4200 4-12X40
Custom Crosman 2240 w/ LW barrel - Vortex Strikefire
Remington AirMaster 77 PAL rated - CenterPoint 3-9X40

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:46 pm 

Nice post with very clear steps to show what you did.

:)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:54 pm 

Thanks, I'm so pleased with the results that I'm now considering doing the M4-177, although I'd have to think of a new system as it lacks a screwable butt plate. It'll need some more wood cut with the sculptor - that is, the table saw - and I'm looking forward to that. It was challenging but fun to discover a completely unintended use for the thing that was designed to make straight cuts though lumber.

That carbine replica would benefit greatly from an extra 3cm to the stock. And since it's adjustable, wife can still shoot it without problems. Yes, we both like it, in fact she likes everyone of the guns in the collection, which is why I need to be careful which I pick to add an extension to as to not exclude her.

The M4 will definitely have the added wood to the stock painted black.

Attachments:
due_for_stock_extension_m4-177.jpg
due_for_stock_extension_m4-177.jpg [ 97.02 KiB | Viewed 3811 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:58 pm 

Go to home depot and get a thick workshop floor shock matt.. that's what I call them anyhow... dense rubber matt fro working on your feet all the time on concrete floors...A) you can use it in you geerage and B) you can cut small pieces the make butt stock pads.

http://plinkercases.ca/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:08 am 

Joolz wrote:
Thanks, I'm so pleased with the results that I'm now considering doing the M4-177, although I'd have to think of a new system as it lacks a screwable butt plate. It'll need some more wood cut with the sculptor - that is, the table saw - and I'm looking forward to that. It was challenging but fun to discover a completely unintended use for the thing that was designed to make straight cuts though lumber.

That carbine replica would benefit greatly from an extra 3cm to the stock. And since it's adjustable, wife can still shoot it without problems. Yes, we both like it, in fact she likes everyone of the guns in the collection, which is why I need to be careful which I pick to add an extension to as to not exclude her.

The M4 will definitely have the added wood to the stock painted black.

Swap out the butt extension for a MagPul model. Extensions are easy for the flat Colt M4. Plastics of any kind and traced out and a simple woodscrew. I did it to my M4 while I was in the US Army. I used Delrin which is a very tough and durable plastic.

Brocock Concept .22
3 Crosman MK 1 pistol .22

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:31 am 

Found pick of my results of basically the same process for those who wonder if it is repeatable. Only difference was I did not inset the wood piece in the butt pad. I took the ridges off the plastic as I did not have to fully reverse for another frequent shooter.

Attachments:
stock extension.jpg
stock extension.jpg [ 25.54 KiB | Viewed 3760 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:38 pm 

That looks great. How many cm did you gain at the end? And how did you cut the wood so perfectly? I'm sure that's something anyone reading this would like to know. Especially for those without a table saw.

Last night I was adding a red dot to the Ruger Explorer and while shooting it decided to extend its stock a small amount, possibly 3cm (will be using the smaller spacers from B&E). Hope this won't render it too long for the wife to handle, then again her main rifle is the scoped 953 (no extension added) so she likely won't miss the Explorer and its moose kick of a recoil much.
For anyone keeping tabs I found the receipt for the spacers I got from B&E Electronics. $2.99 for each and it's called: 1/4" male mono, this was made by Neutrix. As stated it also comes in smaller sizes and I'll be trying these for the Ruger, since it doesn't require as long an extension. Not having to bring a hacksaw to getting the spacers cut evenly is a huge plus.

Later today will be hitting the hardware store to see what I can find in hard rubber or plastic so I can make the extension to the M4. Makes sense to use plastic instead of wood, so thank you and Rick for the idea.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:06 pm 

Joolz

I used a small scroll saw which is designed for detail curve cuts. The finished on a reciprocal drum sander and then hand sanded. It is maple from an old dresser drawer (I collect them from garbage day and break them down fro the wood) I am lucky to have a small collection of table top machines wood working that I use in the leather working processes. I still want to add a band saw to that set but someday I may find one at a sale.

I added almost 3 inches over all so the total length of pull was 14.5... I am built a bit like a monkey as my arms are long compared to my torso. Good for tying my shoes though as I get older and dizzier the further I bend over.....

The pipe is chrome towel hanger rod and cut with a plumber pipe cutter to ensure square ends.

The pipe was inset into the wood at both ends for stability by counter sinking the wood slightly with a spade bit. (3/4 wide I believe).

I was taught a long time ago by man with 4 fingers that tables saws are for straight cuts only! He learned that lesson exactly once. I did meet a Scottish carpenter who could cut decent curves with a skill saw but he had been at it for literally decades....

Have fun at home despot (spelling intentional) and with the M4 extension project.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:46 pm 

My attempt at a stock extension on 953.
Attachment:
953 extension.jpg
953 extension.jpg [ 50.85 KiB | Viewed 3725 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:29 pm 

Check out pics of my butt extension in my thread "Daisy 953 Mod Question"

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:44 pm 

Nice job Roussfam. It has the thin plates like one of Ace's first versions but black...wonder what a thin aluminum plate would look like..... ?

I like Duke's comment " Nice, you have embiggened the stock as cromulent as they come!"

He is a cunninglinguist.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:35 am 

Plinkercases wrote:
Nice job Roussfam. It has the thin plates like one of Ace's first versions but black...wonder what a thin aluminum plate would look like..... ?

I like Duke's comment " Nice, you have embiggened the stock as cromulent as they come!"

He is a cunninglinguist.

I heard he is quite the athlete and gymnast, he has a variety of cunning stunts as well..

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:39 am 

yes it was a cunning array of stunts........

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:15 pm 

Did two other butt extensions, without the risk of losing my fingers along with a couple of litres of plasma.
Instead of wood or hard plastics, used this soft (but not too soft) foam from a knee pad from Princess Auto, something I bought last year but never used.
More of a quickie than the care and time I took to do the 953. Worked quite well and it suits the purpose just fine, although some may find it borderline on the ghetto look.

For the M4 I just used double sided tape (you can see the white between the stock and the foam) but it gave me just the right amount. And the pad feels nice against the shoulder, unlike the flat, hard plastic of the stock. Quick and easy.

For the Ruger Explorer I "sandwiched" the foam between the stock and the butt plate. Couldn't find long enough screws so only gained 16mm. Helps a bit but I may double that, easy enough once I locate longer screws. In fact this worked so well that it could be done to the 953 too. The foam compresses nicely as you tighten the screws, providing for a solid setup. Then just trim off the excess "fat" with the blade. No messing with wood, spacers, glittery pencils... all you really need is an utility knife with a new blade.

Attachments:
2_new_butt_extensions.jpg
2_new_butt_extensions.jpg [ 172.99 KiB | Viewed 3641 times ]