Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:12 am 

Answer: when you can put it inside a dime.
Or at least 10 pellets fired from a twenty nine dolla B1 rifle from 6m (20 feet) away.

No, this isn't some fancy PCP, or a multi hundred dollars DW. These 10 stacked up pellets came from a $29 Princess Auto sale from last week. With crude iron sights. A heavy trigger. Nauseating dieseling. Ugly as (its own) butt.
First time firing a rifle in 4 days, naturally went past the 953 and 4 others to grab this thing. Took 20 warm up shots, then 10 shots on target. If only a nickel was half the size of a dime...

I really, really wish I could have gone to today's shoot at Didsbury. Bet I'd have missed every shot beyond my comfort range. Truly hope wife isn't working during the next shoot. Time to finally try out some distances.

Attachments:
the dime.jpg
the dime.jpg [ 70.07 KiB | Viewed 2026 times ]
twenty nine dollars.jpg
twenty nine dollars.jpg [ 35 KiB | Viewed 2026 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:37 am 

I have one on the way; as well.

I hope that I get a good one; and can post results even close to your's.

Good shooting!

:D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:41 am 

Appreciate your enthusiasm 100%, joolz, but is 6m really a fair trial for a rifle? But hey, I know, it's only 29 bucks :mrgreen:

How do you think that group would look at 20-30 m, which is just entering rifle-worthy ranges. I definitely think you should make a point of making the next AIR-FT shoot (and boy, what a great shoot it was today!) I know you don't expect much for $30 bucks, but you've got to see (and try) some guns that are really worth your hard-earned money. The AIR-FT guys, and others on the forum. would love to show you, and you'll quickly shift your viewpoint from measuring the value of cheap to appreciating in a way that dollars cannot measure the pleasure and satisfaction of shooting and savouring the results of of a worthy tool. And it doesn't have to start with a major investment.

As a matter of fact, post on the forum that you've got $150 - $200 to spend: You'll get several "for a few dollars more..." responses. But stick to your parameters.; I'll bet you get a half dozen suggestions for a real air gun starter rifle that will get you focused more closely on the possibilities in air gunning.

Or, continue to experiment in the "value for cheap" market. To each his own. :drinkers: Just something you might want to consider. I'll make the first suggestion: A QB78D CO2 Rifle -- less than $140. Attractive and accurate right out of the box and open to innumerable upgrades (or highly saleable if/when you outgrow it).

FWIW.

$0.00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:05 am 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
Appreciate your enthusiasm 100%, joolz, but is 6m really a fair trial for a rifle? But hey, I know, it's only 29 bucks :mrgreen:

How do you think that group would look at 20-30 m, which is just entering rifle-worthy ranges. I definitely think you should make a point of making the next AIR-FT shoot (and boy, what a great shoot it was today!) I know you don't expect much for $30 bucks, but you've got to see (and try) some guns that are really worth your hard-earned money. The AIR-FT guys, and others on the forum. would love to show you, and you'll quickly shift your viewpoint from measuring the value of cheap to appreciating in a way that dollars cannot measure the pleasure and satisfaction of shooting and savouring the results of of a worthy tool. And it doesn't have to start with a major investment.

As a matter of fact, post on the forum that you've got $150 - $200 to spend: You'll get several "for a few dollars more..." responses. But stick to your parameters.; I'll bet you get a half dozen suggestions for a real air gun starter rifle that will get you focused more closely on the possibilities in air gunning.

Or, continue to experiment in the "value for cheap" market. To each his own. :drinkers: Just something you might want to consider. I'll make the first suggestion: A QB78D CO2 Rifle -- less than $140. Attractive and accurate right out of the box and open to innumerable upgrades (or highly saleable if/when you outgrow it).

FWIW.

$0.00

Please do not rain on our parades.

I am looking forward to hopefully getting a diamond in the rough that will bring me much enjoyment for (hopefully) years to come.

:|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:41 am 

Like you say, that's pretty good for $29!
I decided to pick one up while I wait for my Hatsan but apparently the sale is over ... bummer.
BUT ... it seems they have another one on sale now ... .22 version "Grizzly Predator" reg 80 on sale for 55 ... I think I'll pick one up today.
You may have to go back to PA ... two rifles for under $100!!!

Canuck 12 Ga O/U
Webley Alecto .22
Webley Tempest .22
Crosman 2240 .22
Crosman 1322 .22
Beretta PX4 .177
Member of NFA, CSSA & IPSC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:46 am 

Hi Ed,

I appreciate what you're saying, especially as I've had the chance to shoot some high end guns at GTAC. They are fantastic pieces of engineering and very desirable. But we can't all afford (or justify) that sort of expense, so seeing what you can do with a modest outlay is a perfectly fine way to enjoy the hobby. 6 yards has been used for air rifle competitions for years, 10m is an international and Olympic sport, so nothing wrong with those distances either. One of the great things about this sport is we can all enjoy it at our own levels and with whatever financial outlay we can manage. Let's not put a downer on that, eh?

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:08 am 

Naw, naw, folks, no need to worry - Edmonton<500 is just trying to get me to see what's on the other side of the train tracks. What he doesn't realize is that I attended the last shoot at Brian's 2 months ago. Heck, we may even have shook hands but not realize it (met a few members, can't recall all - no one was wearing a CAF nic name tag)

I got there late, a bit after 4pm as wife had to work that day. I had only been a member here a few days and Brian was kind enough to invite me. When I saw that someone was selling a Crosman 1077 I just had to make my way there to grab it. So glad I did as Brian showed me quite a few of the amazing machinery and I got to shoot most of them. Yes, they are impressive. Feather light trigger, amazing balance and don't even get me started on those scopes.

But I was a fish out of water then. I had no idea what I was looking at, except that these were way out of my league. I said this in a post a couple of days ago and will say it again: airgunning is a lot like motorcycle riding: you really have to start small and work your way up. That's the only way you will not only appreciate the different styles, workmanship, but it will also make you a better shooter. I mean, what better way to work on your skills then with a simplistic iron sight, like the very crude one in this B1. And much like with motorcycles, getting the wrong rifle can get you killed. What I mean is, when a 16 year old buys a 600cc crotch rocket as his first bike, that usually ends in tragedy. If I was to buy a fancy PCP within a week of having started this sport I too would be dead, courtesy of the wife.

In fact I'm not out of danger yet. While at the last shoot my "collection" consisted of a sole $59 Crosman M4-177 from Crappy Tire plus a cheap airsoft pistol that hadn't been used for a couple of years. Fast forward 2 months and the collection is now up to 6 or 7 rifles, 2 pistols, 1 revolver and a couple of airsoft pistols. Wife is so adamant that I stop buying guns that she has me in the kill list. So much so that I had to walk away from buying a .22 cal Crosman Phantom for a few bucks cause I'm that scared she'll have me eliminated, after making arrangements to buy that gun, the biggest, longest one thus far. Still for sale and I'm really tempted - but terrified of the consequences at the same time.

So yeah, this sport can be very threatening to one's health.

Doug: glad to hear my posting and raving on the Princess Auto's sale of this gun had an effect on you. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just remember, these aren't reconditioned but still prone to problems due to lack of QA. I had to return the first I got due to a bad droop. As did Jim. Hopefully you will luck out with the first one. There's no windage (that I can tell, someone please point it to me if it's there) so if it doesn't shoot spot on, try another.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:21 am 

Nice chootin man.. this gun is what airgunning is all about IMO!
I actually like the look of it.. doesnt look crude or ugly to me. Just simple and functional.
No stupid fibre sights is cool too.

Its funny we stay away from the expensive guns but then buy 6-7 cheap ones lol.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:25 am 

Jim and Ed you both make great points but I'm going to lean a little toward Ed's philosophy on this one here is why, when i got back into airguning i to didn't want to go out and spend big money on some airguns or get into a hobby that i wasn't sure I'd get back into and so I started to pick up some cheaper priced ones still fun and great to shoot don't get me wrong but when you start to use some higher end ones, perfect example my HW77 then you really appreciate that your money was well spent. I know that everyone is deferent and have deferent financial situations, look at it like this if you spend lets just say $100 on one gun and you get three $100 guns in two or three weeks that's $300 that you could have put toward one good gun that will blast the poop out of the three $100 guns.
I have a stack of guns that barely see the light of day now some are more collectible then anything ells because i shoot my higher end ones. :wink:

Edit: just read the above after i posted and thats exactly what I'm talking about canox why buy buy 6-7 cheap ones lol.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:49 am 

I see that the point I made above has gone above your heads... but no worries, it's a Sunday and I'll leave you off the hook.
To me airgunning isn't about showing off how big my gun is. To me it's about experiencing different guns that offer different shooting challenges. It's a way to horn one's skills, the more you try, the more experience you get under your belt. It'd be like learning to ride a bike and limiting myself to a single machine. How sad is that? Well, I suppose it may suit some, it sure doesn't suit me, as I don't believe there's a single style motorcycle that does it all.

But as they say, to each their own. We have 5 bikes in the house that we all get to enjoy. Or I could sell them all and buy one expensive one that only one of us would enjoy. Now, how sad is that?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:10 pm 

joolz i posted before i seen or had a chance to read yours, sometimes people can post at almost the same time thats why i added a little edit to mine. No worries i get your point as well bud, like i said each person has there way of doing things i was just trying to make a point of saving you some time and money because if you stick around in this hobby/sport you will spend $$$ oh!...you will....dont even look at PCP's :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:45 pm 

Just back home with the kids and all I could think of is: can't wait to get home and try for an even tighter grouping with the B1.
Now one of them is sleeping, so no go at least till much later tonight. I so need my own private, sound proof range...

Ace, no worries, I'm sorry if that sounded a bit heavy handed. Don't forget, I'm only 2 months into the sport and what I lack in quality guns I try to make up for with enthusiasm - which is free!
I like to think I've done well for starting a collection that's surpassed 10 fairly decent guns in such a short time. It's like everyone else here, once you get tired of these (or outgrow them) you can always sell them for that nicer one. And there's no doubt that there will be nicer, costlier ones in the futures. After all this is a sport that never gets old. You know, like riding a bike. You won't be able to drag my future senile butt off one, just as you won't be able to ply airguns out of my fingers.

Main thing is, as long as we're enjoying ourselves it's all good. If it can be done on a budget, that's an added bonus.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:59 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Main thing is, as long as we're enjoying ourselves it's all good. If it can be done on a budget, that's an added bonus.

Very true point :drinkers:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:26 pm 

You got that right, on more than one account: wife is about to start making chicken wings.
Your choice of smilies is exactly what I'm off to get. You know, can't push wings down your throat with anything but. Couldn't justify it if I had spent all my money on a PCP setup.

And yes, damn straight I'm taking the bike :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:27 pm 

Joolz wrote:
Answer: when you can put it inside a dime.
Or at least 10 pellets fired from a twenty nine dolla B1 rifle from 6m (20 feet) away.

No, this isn't some fancy PCP, or a multi hundred dollars DW. These 10 stacked up pellets came from a $29 Princess Auto sale from last week. With crude iron sights. A heavy trigger. Nauseating dieseling. Ugly as (its own) butt.
First time firing a rifle in 4 days, naturally went past the 953 and 4 others to grab this thing. Took 20 warm up shots, then 10 shots on target. If only a nickel was half the size of a dime...

I really, really wish I could have gone to today's shoot at Didsbury. Bet I'd have missed every shot beyond my comfort range. Truly hope wife isn't working during the next shoot. Time to finally try out some distances.

Finally got mine in today - shipped to me all the way from Ontario to Kelowna.

Must say my first impressions are very favorable.

Nice light weight; easy as heck to cock; just one solid thunk when it fires; trigger is more than acceptable. Accuracy yet to be determined; but an inspection of the bore shows it to be clean and no blemishes or nicks.

So far more than happy about my purchase!

:D