Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:23 pm 

I'm having a bit of a dilemma...

Since I own and love several CZ and Brno 22 rifles I figured I would stay loyal to the brand and buy the 200 s as my first good air rifle for target shooting and pest control.

I understand the CZ was developed with and for Air Arms and is essentially identical to the AA 200 series PCP rifles.

My only hang up with the CZ 200 s is that as a PCP unit I would have to fork out another $200 plus for a good pump or even more for an air tank, valves and connectors.

I just picked up some ammo from Kirk at Airgun Source in Peterborough and he cruelly showed me a beautiful Air Arms TX200. It was a thing of such beauty and a perfect balance. This was the finest air rifle I have ever held and in my opinion the workmanship was better than my friends georgeous and ver accurate HW PCP.

Now I have doubts about what to do. I really like the AA side lever but the rifle costs roughly 200 more than the CZ.

I would love some advice from Air Arms owners of both PCP and side or under-cocking models. Which direction do folks prefer?

Many thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------
Webley Senior, 177
Webley Alecto, 177
CZ 200 S 22 (pending)
CZ 452 American & 452 Lux
Brno model 4 match
REM 870 & MOSS 500

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:16 pm 

I owned a CZ 200 and it is a nice little rifle, but it is gone and I still have the TX200.

I shot the CZ at sub 500 fps for awhile and then had it tuned to 12 ft/lb and shot it for awhile as well. I shot it with the aperture sights and scoped. In the end it was just too light for me and just did not feel or look right to me.

The TX200 is a classic rifle that just has a quality about it that makes you want to own and shoot it. I have an older MkII and plan on tuning it in the next week or so and then mount a scope on it. I just received an RWS ZR mount and will be using a 35X Premier modified Leupold MKIIII scope. I plan on using it for field target and how that turns out will determine how many PCP rifles I hang on to and for what purpose. The simplicity of the piston gun has a definite pull.

At the same time, the nature of the spring gun that demands constant tweaking and adjusting to get consistent performance is like trying to figure out a woman. I have been married for 42 years and still get surprised often. Not sure if that is a plus or a minus for a spring gun, but it sure keep you on your toes and interested.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:26 am 

I've handled the TX200 and shot it and it is a very nice springer. A little nose heavy IMO. I also own a couple of Weihrauch springers that I will probably never part with. That said I will probably never use them again either. I just don't have the time to shoot them enough to stay proficient with them. I love my springers but they are a PITA. I suppose if you like to tinker and are good at it then you may love a springer. I did just that for awhile but in the end I realized I just wanted to shoot vermin in the face and not screw with my gun all the time.

If you want to spend a LOT of time practicing the nuances of shooting a spring gun then buy the TX200. Then be prepared to learn all over again if you put it down for awhile. lol.

If you want to spend a lot of time just having a great time shooting with a phenomenally accurate gun then just bite the bullet and get a PCP. Yes its A LOT more expensive to start with which is why I would suggest just spending the extra $200 for the S410 or 510 and getting the charging equipment. Spend once, cry once. If you buy a cz200 you're just going to sell it at a loss and upgrade anyway.

If I were to compare my S510 to my most accurate powderburner (CZ527) I would have to say that on a level playing field my S510 is the most accurate gun i own. Not to mention cheapest to shoot and easiest to maintain.

I haven't used the rear bolt versions of the s410 but I can tell you the side lever on the s510 is great. And thats even coming from a lefty. lol.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth which is exactly "nothing"

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:30 pm 

"If you want to spend a LOT of time practicing the nuances of shooting a spring gun then buy the TX200. Then be prepared to learn all over again if you put it down for awhile. lol."

This part, I do not understand. Once you learn how to shoot a spring gun correctly and accurately, I would think that would stay with you, sort of like riding a bike. What shooting a springer does is help you develop good shooting practices and consistency, which will help no matter what gun you pick up to shoot. Hold and follow through are very important and a spring gun will let you know when you make a mistake. Learn with the spring gun and it will make you a better shooter down the road with whatever gun you choose.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:56 pm 

Kawarthapine wrote:
Since I own and love several CZ and Brno 22 rifles I figured I would stay loyal to the brand and buy the 200 s as my first good air rifle for target shooting and pest control.

That's the crux of your dilemma. You're a CZ man, and CZ rifles are very good. But don't let that be the overriding factor in choosing your next air rifle. With the TX you'd have one of the finest springers available. With the S200 -- whether its CZ or AA -- you'd have a good PCP, accurate and reliable -- but not one of the finest available. You know this, of course, and are deliberating over the added cost of shooting a PCP: the pump or tank and related accoutrements. Add to that the possibility, alluded to by the other posters, that you may decide to upgrade the S200 PCP should you really like it.

You need to determine whether you want a spring piston rifle like the TX200 or a PCP. Once you decide, then buy exactly what you want the first time (if that's really possible). If it is a PCP, perhaps you might want to consider a "higher end" rifle; but maybe its the CZ/AA 200, after all. If it is a spring piston gun, then the TX, while not inexpensive, will not make you wish you had bought a "better" springer.

I have a TX200 and think it's a fantastic rifle. It is robust, consistent, accurate, and beautiful. But you're right about having a dilemma. It's hard to decide. My comments may not be helpful to you, but if you can't decide you can always think about getting both. That could help you reach a decision.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:30 pm 

Mac wrote:
"If you want to spend a LOT of time practicing the nuances of shooting a spring gun then buy the TX200. Then be prepared to learn all over again if you put it down for awhile. lol."

This part, I do not understand. Once you learn how to shoot a spring gun correctly and accurately, I would think that would stay with you, sort of like riding a bike. What shooting a springer does is help you develop good shooting practices and consistency, which will help no matter what gun you pick up to shoot. Hold and follow through are very important and a spring gun will let you know when you make a mistake. Learn with the spring gun and it will make you a better shooter down the road with whatever gun you choose.

I guess I could have worded that better. I wasn't trying to imply that you have to learn everything all over again from scratch but a spring gun I find you need to shoot a lot to stay on top of your game if you expect to shoot with any kind of consistency. Put it down for a while and it's going to take you some time to get back to where you were.

On the other hand I can pick up my PCP after a layoff and I'm a sniper in a couple shots again maybe it's just me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:39 pm 

Comparing Springers to PCP is like comparing apples and oranges...

AA's are fantastic air rifles regardless of power source and I'm sure the CZ as well.

Questions you should ask yourself is where you plan to refill the scuba tank. Will you shoot a lot and then having to drive a distance to refill the scuba tank may be a pain. Then there is the yearly visual cost for the tank in addition to every five year hydro test, without those test the dive shop will not refill. Will you be shooting at home or do you plan to shoot out in the woods or at a cottage where you have to lug everything with you just so you can fire off more than what the rifle's air cylinder will allow for optimum accuracy?

I sold all my springers for PCP but recently sold my S410 for the TX200 so I can leave it up at our cabin and not have to worry about scuba tanks and air refills.

Also, how's your strength in your arms? Yes... your TX200 cocking arm WILL get tire after 20 plus continuous shots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:42 pm 

RC wrote:
Also, how's your strength in your arms? Yes... your TX200 cocking arm WILL get tire after 20 plus continuous shots.

Maybe I am stronger than I think. I can shoot the TX all day when practicing and not notice anything in my arms. Up to 200 shots or so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:52 pm 

Mac wrote:
RC wrote:

Maybe I am stronger than I think. I can shoot the TX all day when practicing and not notice anything in my arms. Up to 200 shots or so.

Mac, you were that kid in school who's dad did everything better than everyone elses dad, weren't you?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 am 

Heh, if Mac/Tim has been shooting a tx200 all day for many years, then chances are he is stronger than he thinks :)

(Pathetic aside - I think I've messed up my left elbow cocking a 935. How sad is that?)

To the original OP - I have bad news. The dilemma you are experiencing is the first stage of gun acquisition syndrome. It is the gradual realization that the world is full of exquisite air guns, which it is impossible to choose between as each is completely different and offers a unique shooting experience that you simply can not live without. Your only option to is to collect an example of every type, sub-type, particularly good examples of a type, multiples of a favourite type and "that one with the amazing stock that I just couldn't let slip away from me".

Welcome to our world.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:29 am 

ratdoctor wrote:
Mac, you were that kid in school who's dad did everything better than everyone elses dad, weren't you?

Darn right, just like every other kid I went to school with.

Since I am 65 years old, that was a while back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:39 am 

I know this post is older and the OP may have already decided which gun but here's my opinion-

C200 and don't look back :D Darkside in general actually and don't look back 8) The "fuss" over filling equipment is much worth it!

I've owned a TX, don't anymore. It's an alright gun, more fancy looks than anything IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:12 pm 

Kawarthapine:

Maybe you could go back to airgunsource and let Kirk show you the FX Cutlas they still have in stock. After you tuck that little walnut thumbhole stock against your cheek I think you'll agree it's one fine light rifle. The eight shot mag and biathlon style action is not bad either. I've owned the very fine TX200 and while I didn't find it difficult to cock, and I'm over 70, I did find the rifle way too heavy for me when scoped. Your lucky you can easily check out airguns locally.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:49 pm 

Thx guys.

I've expanded my search somewhat and made the mistake of visiting the AA website.

Simply put I have fallen in love...

My dream machine is now the AA Ultimate http://www.air-arms.co.uk/products/our- ... ter-detail

I have to look into Canadian costs but I believe it will be around 1,400. Almost twice my original budget but maybe Santa will help me out. I could have afforded it a few weeks ago but just bought a new snow blower...dam I hate this climate!

I am going to take a closer look at a few HWs and FXs with similar price points before pulling the financial trigger. I have also decided I need an ambi stock as I'm a lefty and want to maximize resale potential. I also want a rifle that is capable of adding aperture sights (thus require barrel for-end dovetail).

Rifles meeting these two criteria are now my immediate priority.

Keep the input coming...I really appreciate it guys.

Kawarthapine

-------------------------------------------------------
Webley Senior, 177
Webley Alecto, 177
CZ 200 S 22 (pending)
CZ 452 American & 452 Lux
Brno model 4 match
REM 870 & MOSS 500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:10 am 

Kawarthapine wrote:
I also want a rifle that is capable of adding aperture sights (thus require barrel for-end dovetail).

A PCP that can use a scope or aperture sights? Is there such a thing? I know that Air Arms and FX produce target/biathlon models. Check out http://www.airgunsource.com/fx-biathlon-177-cal/dp/1490