Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:21 pm 

Does anyone know of a Canadian source?

Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:20 am 

Scopes and Ammo would be the best place to ask since they are the only outfit in Canada that sell those rifles as far as I know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:33 pm 

Those are hard to find in the US too. I know one guy that bought one, not sure where, and it was only partially rifled. Umarex in the US may have it, but probably cheaper to buy a new gun. Then there's http://flyingdragonairrifles.org which may sell parts.
Why do you need a new barrel? I ask because they can often be fixed, or at least improved.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:11 pm 

Wanted to change to .22 from .177

A new barrel from Mike is $73 U.S. ($43 plus $30 for shipping), add another 20% exchange rate on that, plus the sales tax Customs is going to charge and the $5 fee they are going to charge me for adding the taxes and we end up at about a $100.

Cheaper to sell my rifle, add $100 to the proceeds, and buy something outright. Posted an ad in the "Wanted"...you never know.

Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:14 am 

Might be worth it to just get a whole gun in that caliber then. This is one big reason I like Crosman becuase parts are available and cheap. In the US that complete gun is close to $100, and referbs as low as $60. Did you price the total cost for a while new gun from Flying Dragon?
What about getting a used one from someone? Or maybe just deal with .22? Is .22 a real issue for you?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:52 am 

Chevota wrote:
Might be worth it to just get a whole gun in that caliber then. This is one big reason I like Crosman becuase parts are available and cheap. In the US that complete gun is close to $100, and referbs as low as $60. Did you price the total cost for a while new gun from Flying Dragon?
What about getting a used one from someone? Or maybe just deal with .22? Is .22 a real issue for you?

I'll wait and see if I get any responses to my "wanted" post.

Wanted something with a little more knock down power for small game. Got 7 months to think about it, until it becomes an issue again

;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:33 pm 

Then I'd tune your current gun and use H&N Crow Mag pellets. It'll shoot flatter and be more devastating.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:29 pm 

Chevota wrote:
Then I'd tune your current gun and use H&N Crow Mag pellets. It'll shoot flatter and be more devastating.

I just looked them up, the Baracuda Hunter looks pretty interesting as well 10.34gr

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:00 am 

The heavier the pellet the less speed and power, plus I doubt the Barracuda Hunter will open much. The Crow Mag pellet will be better in speed, power and opening. The Barracuda Hunter Extreme might open as well as the Crow Mag, maybe, but it's certainly better than the Hunter. I'd get the Crow for sure, and maybe a try the Extreme too.
What's really worth a try is tuning it to bring the power up, then laying waste with Crow Mags.
I just realized something, are you stuck at 500fps?? If so then .22 will be better, and 25 even better still. But you'll still need to mod the gun because a 500fps 177 gun will not shoot a 22 at 500 so you're still back as square one. If I were stuck there I'd get 25 cal and bump it right up to the limit. Hatsan sells 25cal guns for cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:48 pm 

[quote="Chevota"]The heavier the pellet the less speed and power, plus I doubt the Barracuda Hunter will open much. The Crow Mag pellet will be better in speed, power and opening. The Barracuda Hunter Extreme might open as well as the Crow Mag, maybe, but it's certainly better than the Hunter. I'd get the Crow for sure, and maybe a try the Extreme too.
What's really worth a try is tuning it to bring the power up, then laying waste with Crow Mags.
I just realized something, are you stuck at 500fps?? If so then .22 will be better, and 25 even better still. But you'll still need to mod the gun because a 500fps 177 gun will not shoot a 22 at 500 so you're still back as square one. If I were stuck there I'd get 25 cal and bump it right up to the limit. Hatsan sells 25cal guns for cheap.[/quot

Vortek PG2 Kit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:18 am 

Ok, then I would tune it and she how she does with the Crow Mags. You should be able to get 900+. They shooting the Crow Mags at eggs to get a feel for what the varmint will experience.